New here. Could you give me suggestions.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BC76, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BC76

BC76 Registered Member

Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile and have found alot of ideas. Could you help me pick a decent security setup? I'm looking for free and light programs. I'm going to purchase NOD 32 for Av. How should I run these programs.

Super AntiSpyware
    Spyware Terminator

Pro Security
    Prevx1
    Process Guard
    SSM
    CyberHawk

Sanboxie

I have Comodo firewall.

Could you give me recommendations as to what to run on my comp. Any other software or suggestions welcome. Thanks:thumb:

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use NOD32 and Comodo which run well together and are both great! I've never used the other apps you have listed but I can suggest the one's I use.
    Ad-Aware SE Personal - is free and does a great job.
    SpywareBlaster - free, is a must have. It doesn't scan, just blocks.
    AVG antispyware 7.5 - free or buy if you want it to run in the background.
    I also use SpySweeper but although it does the job, it's a little hard on the resources. I have a year left on it, and then I'll be looking for something a little more light on its feet.

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Welcome (lurker) BC76.
    It may help if you can also provide your:
    1) Level of 'puter expertise.
    2) Risk level assessment. Hi - Low (are u a 'safe' surfer, or do you occassionally visit the 'dark side' of the net?).
    3) Machine spec.s. State of the art, or limited memory/processor?
    4) What browser, e-mail client, office suite do you use? MicroSoft?

Reasons I ask is that:
    1) Many advanced security consious devotees here advise products (though very efficient) require above-average user knowledge. Unsuitable for main-stream users.
    2) Some of the paranoid love to "load up" machines with a dozen or so security app.s. IMHO this is redundant, adding unnecessary bloat to your mach. If you are a reasonable user (surf primarily doing research, reasonably cautious with email & attachments) you should be able to pare down on security app.s.
    3) Some app.s require considerable horsepower, others quite light.
    4) M$ (if applicable in your case) is fraught with security issues. Not to worry though, people here will offer good advice.

I feel security app.s are like insurance. You need it, but "just enough" of it. Overkill is....well...overkill.

4. btman

btman Registered Member

I'd just suggest to keep

NOD32
    Sandboxie
    Comodo Firewall
    Spyware Terminator (with spyware shield on, HIPS on if your a medium-high or high risk surfer, otherwise have it off)
    And Super Antispyware
    And if you are a high risk surfer, ONE of the other programs listed.

5. BC76

BC76 Registered Member

6. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Sound choice. Make sure you read Blackspear's recommended settings (found in the stickys in the Nod v2 forum)
    Sandboxie: Also a good choice. Surf with relative impunity.
    Comodo FW: Don't use it myself, but it is highly respected here. Kick the tires, see if it meets your fancy.
    HIPS:
    Pro Security. Very nice, but ready for prime-time? Many threads here about it.
    Prevx1. Many devotees here. May be a bit "heavy" for your system.
    PG, SSM. Both good choices. PG being a tad less intimidating, but offering less control.

re: Spyware: Super AntiSpyware is a favorite. May consider using it solely "on demand" to minimize bloat/resource impact.

Good luck. Specific searches here will yield a LOT of info/personal opinions.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just a note. Comodos version 3 will have HIPS included. Glad you're choosing NOD32.:)

8. pipester

pipester Guest

I thought Bob D had some good advice, as a main-stream user myself, I only use NOD32 with the XP firewall, which I think is more than enough protection for my surfing habits. So far, I have really liked this combination on my laptop. It runs great and has been very responsive. My spec's are similar to yours, 2.0 Ghz processor, 512k ram on a dialup connection. Good luck with your choices.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not all anti -spyware apps are configured the same. One app might miss a piece of malware while another might catch it. I subscribe to the school that has maybe 3 different anti-spyware apps. One running in the background and maybe 2 for on demand scanning. That way if you suspect you are infected and the main app misses it, you can run another one to catch it. Even safe surfers get bit. As an example, I ran a scan with Spysweeper and found nothing. Then I ran ewido and found 15 data miners. I can run Ad-Aware and come up with at least 1 data miner most times.:ninja:

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Give these also a try:

*Safe"n"Sec

*dynamic security agent

:cool:

11. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

One question, one hundred opinions. I too went for lightness and speed and came up with:

AOL kav6 (free for at least a year) av. Light and effective.

Jetico firewall. light, effective and quiet after a few days of fighting with it. good outbound protection and some HIPS features.

Sandboxie on demand, when I want to surf.

Also am behind a hardware firewall\modem.

I would also suggest trying Ghostsecurity suite, which is comprised of appdefend and regdefend.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I'll make it easy for you:

You have a nice AV.
    You have a nice firewall.

Just add a nice browser like Firefox and you'll be ok.

In general, it is not a bad idea to trade default MS apps for better alternatives.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.