New here, and need some help with F-Secure.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by inlifeisdeath, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inlifeisdeath

inlifeisdeath Registered Member

Hello,

Good day to all of you. I'm Phil, and I need some help with my recently purchased F-Secure.

I was using Zonealarm and AVG Antivirus prior to my purchase of F-Secure.

First thing I noticed was that to install F-Secure, I had to un-install Lavasoft Ad-aware. Why is this so?

Secondly, now that I have F-Secure, does it mean that the Zonealarm and the Spyware Guard that I usually run are redundant and dispensable now?
    Is it advisable to just use F-Secure alone, or use it in conjunction with Zonealarm and Spyware Guard?

Lastly, I'm not sure how much resources F-Secure uses. So I took a screen-shot of 'Processes'. I'm rather particular about sluggish performance, hence my pre-occupation with resourse comsumption.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2rot35y.jpg

Thank you for reading, Cheers.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

It depends whether or not you have f-secure antivirus or f-secure internet security installed. If you only have the AV installed then you will need to keep ZA for your firewall. Spyware guard probably won't be needed as f-secure has system protection. If you have the internet security suite then you won't need ZA as you can use the f-secure firewall.
    Ad-aware has to be uninstalled as the spyware component in f-secue is based on lavasofts ad-aware.

F-secure does use quite a lot of resources, a modern system should run it ok but an older system will struggle.

3. inlifeisdeath

Thanks for the reply, Farmerlee.

I've the Antivirus installed. So I guess I'd be keeping Zonealarm after all. ;)

Anyway, can anyone identify the resources F-Secure is consuming? I've no idea which of the entries belong to F-Secure.

Another question, when it comes to resource comsumption, does Norton consume more than F-Secure? Or vice-versa?

Anyway, thanks for the patience and replies. Much appreciated. :)

4. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Attached Files:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the reason you have to uninstall ad aware is because f-secure uses the ad aware engine for its antispyware.

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Looks like someone needs to do an HJT! scan and clean house a little first. Then if resource usage is still an issue switch to a lighter AV.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  7. inlifeisdeath

Hi there. Do you mean to do a hijackthis? I'm sure this question has an obvious answer, but I'm not sure where to post my log results. On the HJT website?

Anyway, why the need for an HJT? Have you spotted some problems?

Thanks for highlighting the processes Ale, much appreciated. I guess F-Secure does take up a lot of resources.

I apologise beforehand for being relatively imcompetent at such computer matters. I have never been too good at this, but am trying bit by bit to learn as much as I can. Please bear with my lousy questions and apalling ignorance.

Once again, thanks all for helping out. :)

8. n8chavez

Well for starters grab Hijack This! from here. Basically the purpose of this product and the scan is to make sure that nothing is being launched at system startup without your permission. Doing these scans on a semi-regular basis (I hope I'm not being too anal) would prevent things such as malware from launching itself and spawning other processes. Basically, only "fix checked" items that you did not specifically authorize or that you do not know what they are. It looks like you have a lot of processes launching at startup. It would be a good idea to make sure you need them all. Below is my HJT! log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 9:16:36 PM, on 10/17/2006
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    C:\Program Files\mst software\mst Defrag\mstDfrgS.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RioMSC.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\looknstop\looknstop.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Start Killer\StartKiller.exe
    C:\Program Files\Proxomitron\Proxomitron.exe
    C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice\program\soffice.exe
    C:\Program Files\OpenOffice\program\soffice.BIN
    D:\Stuff\Security\System Security\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Look 'n' Stop] "C:\Program Files\looknstop\looknstop.exe" -auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Start Killer] C:\Program Files\Start Killer\StartKiller.exe
    O4 - Startup: Proxomitron.lnk = C:\Program Files\Proxomitron\Proxomitron.exe
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: System Safety Monitor - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SSMWinlogonEx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WBSrv - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~2\wbsrv.dll
    O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    O23 - Service: mst Defrag Service (mstDfrgS) - mst software GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\mst software\mst Defrag\mstDfrgS.exe
    O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O23 - Service: Rio MSC Manager (RioMSC) - Digital Networks North America, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\RioMSC.exe

I'd be happy to look at your log. But remember, your best defense for anything related to computer security, even this, is your own knowledge, intuition and general common sense.

Nate

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I never thought that F-Secure AntiVirus installs 14 processes!!! :eek:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the old one 2006 was 18 proceses and new 2007 version is 13 processes .

11. Macstorm

Above screenshot shows highlighted 14 processes for FS AV 2007? o_O

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when i emailed f-secure they told me 13 and when i installed fsis2007 it shows 13 processes so me and f-secure cant me wrong IMO.

13. Macstorm

'inlifeisdeath' says he installed the antivirus only and the above screenie counts 14 processes.
    Maybe everyone at F-Secure are superstitious and they added +1 :)

14. inlifeisdeath

From the reactions gathered, I suppose 14 processes is something out of the ordinary? I wouldn't know, :D

I think my brother paid a good 49 singapore dollars (33usd thereabout) for this F-Secure Antivirus, which came in a CD. I hope it's not a waste of good money.

Nate,

Thank you for the offer to help. I've attached my HJT logfile.
    :)

Attached Files:

15. n8chavez

I've attached the log in a *.doc file. (rename from hijackthis.txt) I hope that's okay. If it's not please let me know. I would have PMed you with this, as it is not apropriate to this forum any longer, but I could not attach files via PM. There are a couple of things I noticed about your log: (1) There are a lot of things launched upon system startup and (2) there are a lot of seemingly repetitive entries. One thing you should know about me, or rather my philosophy is that I disable everything that I do not explicitly remember authorizing, which is why my HJT! log was so short. There really is no point to having needless processes wasting you computer's resources. You have a lot of entries spawned by Acer, all of which are not necessary for Windows to function. I have most of them highlighted. Enable each one on a need only basis. Also, you have processes from Symantec (Live Update) yet you use F-Secure. Why is that? Are they needed? Again, everything needs only launch at startup that you need. Just because something is not on that list does not mean it won't function when you need it to. (minus of course the basic XP processes)

Use this list and you instict and you'll have a much more tamed and better proforming system. Also, post it again, after you make changes, if you want to.

Attached Files:

16. inlifeisdeath

Thank you for the help.

I used to use Norton, until its subscription ran out.
    I've used Crapcleaner, and regscrub in an attempt to rid all those left behind entries from uninstall, apparently it's not working! :D

Okay I shall go disable the stuff now, so if I disable and need to enable it again, all I have to do is undo it through HJT again yes?

Anyway, your help is really much appreciated. :)

17. inlifeisdeath

I don't know why but when I open the attached document, it's all gibberish. I'm sorry for the trouble.

18. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

For Norton you can find on their site a utility for removing all left traces from the old install.
    For disabling start entries yor can use Autoruns from Sysinternals so you selectively can disable one by one like tells n8chavez and, if after some reboots it' all ok, you can determine if delete or not.
    Regarding Acer Utilities there are some you can't disable for correct functioning (I assume you have an Acer laptop. I also have one Aspire 5672 WLMi).

19. inlifeisdeath

Yeah, I use the Aspire 5552. :)

It has this whole suite of utilities called 'empowering technology'. I seldom use them so I disabled it.

The only thing that I miss is the meter it has that gauges in actual mintues how much time you have left on the battery.

:D

Another thing, I can't seem to locate the Norton remover you mentioned. I must be blind, I checked under 'downloads' on their website. Does it have a specific name that I can use to do a search with?

20. n8chavez

Rememer to rename the attached; hijackthislog.txt -----> hijackthislog.doc I wasn't able to attach *.doc files, so unfortunately this is a necessary step.

21. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

For the gauge (and more) you can use Notebook Hardware Control from here:
    http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

For Norton Removal Tool you can go here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

^Ale

22. inlifeisdeath

Thanks for the help nate.

But unfortunately whatever I rename it, it's still gibberish.

I'm feeling a bit embarrassed for needing so much help.

But thanks all. Really, if I'd I'll get each of you a drink.

23. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Simply save the document and after rename deleting .txt so you have hijackthis.doc

^Ale

24. inlifeisdeath

Funny. But still doesn't work. o_O

Nvm, I'll just try until it works. Thanks all. ;)

25. n8chavez

Disable the "hide extensions of known file types" under 'tools' --->'folder options.' Is anyone else having problems viewing the doc? Following that step, it works just as it is supposed to for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.