New HDD - Cloning issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by port50side, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. port50side

port50side Registered Member

I need to replace an 80GB HDD as the Disk Director will not partion it as it reports that there are bad blocks which I cannot correct using the chkdsk tools.

So I plan to clone the drive using the appropriate wizard in ATI 11. However what is not clear in the manual (at least to me) is whether I need to initially format the new drive to the NFTS file system or can I simply start the cloning exercise using the drive in its native unformatted state.

Any advice most appreciated.

Regards

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'm 99% sure that with Version 11, no formatting is necessary. Try it like that first and if True Image complains, then use the "Prepare New Disk" feature of True Image before trying the Cloning again.

3. safurniss

safurniss Registered Member

I know that in True Image Enterprise 9.1 you don't need to format the drive as the cloning process takes the file system and everything on the old drive and puts it onto the new one.

not used T.I. 11 Home yet so not sure if there is any difference on how it clones a disk, but wouldn't think ther was.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

No need to format first. However when you do the clone process remember to resize the partitions by a small amount. This is to fool the process that there is no need to carry forward the sectors which are marked as bad.
    If you do not do this the new drive will be a true clone, bad sectors and all, this can be an annoyance on a perfectly sound drive.

Xpilot

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Nice tip. :D :thumb:

6. TonyR

TonyR Registered Member

why not use a restore image instead of clone for the new hard drive?
    Tha's what I plan on doing when i replace my main drive..

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I agree. That is what I do every time. But The OP asked about cloning so I answered the question as posed.
    I have never had any bad blocks or sectors but I presume that the same resize trick would work with a restore as well as a clone. If it did not the answer is obvious.

Xpilot

8. TonyR

TonyR Registered Member

Format question here:

My 80 gig hard drive is the partition meaning I don't have any other partitions on it. I have around 13 gigabyte files total.

I have a 2nd slave with nothing but pixs/video files
    [which I keep a copy of on a 500 gig external]
    so I assume I do not need to do any partitioning when I replace my 80 with maybe a 160..?

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Partitioning is optional. There are lots of pro.s and con.s.
    If your computer is fairly elderly it may be Ok with 80GB but the BIOS may not be able to handle 160GB. The solution is a BIOS update if there is one or to install a PCI controller card that can handle bigger drives with its own BIOS.

Xpilot

10. TonyR

TonyR Registered Member

I have a FOXCOMM motherboard [4yrs].. and talked to company rep who said as long as I am using IDE interface,
    Bios will see 400 or higher..

thanks for the input.

11. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

12. port50side

port50side Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions - I would like to clone simply to try the tool.

If I do a simple image restore then does the format question arise again on a new drive?

Regards

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello port50side,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis True Image will automatically prepare a new drive during restore process as well.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.