New HD image from CDs?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ancientnut, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ancientnut

ancientnut Registered Member

I'm having a new 80 GB hard drive installed next week. Can I use my Acronis TI 8.0 bootable CD to transfer an image of my old HD to a partition on the new HD using multiple CDs?

I'm running WinXP SP2 with 512 MB ram.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

If you saved an image of your entire drive (check the box at the top when creating the image) then you can restore it to the new drive and it will be bootable. Yes, the boot CD will allow you to do this if you have your complete set of CD's.

Unfortunately, the restored image (to the new drive) will be the same size as the original drive. If your 80GB drive is larger than the original, you can use a partitioning utility to resize the restored image after it's up and running.

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

I think there is a step during the image restore process where you can adjust the partition size, or have it automatically adjusted to fill the new larger drive.

4. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

There is with cloning but not with creating an image as far as I know.

5. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Well if you can adjust the partition size during a clone, but can not during a restore from an image, the ability to adjust your partition size when restoring from an image would certainly be a good feature to post on the wish list thread. I am sure many people such as myself would like to be able to restore from an image to a new larger hard disk, and have the partition size automatically adjusted to fit the new larger drive without having to use another separate application to adjust the partition size.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi all,

Have no fear! There is a way of using TI to resize restored partitions to a larger drive, albeit it's a little convoluted:

1. Create an image of the whole of the old drive by checking the tickbox next to the disk number. This ensures the MBR is copied into the image, thereby ensuring the new hard drive is bootable.
    2. Replace the old drive with the new one (remember to set the jumpers correctly).
    3. Boot from the TI rescue CD and restore the whole of the old drive to the new one by, again, checking the tickbox next to the disk number. That will ensure the MBR is copied onto the new drive.
    4. Having done that, choose to carry out a second restore to the new drive but this time only check the tickbox next to the individual partition (if the old drive contains more than one partition then, later in the process, TI will ask whether you wish to restore another partition).
    5. The individual partition(s) can then be expanded to fill the unallocated space by using the size slider.
    6. Once the size of the individual partition(s) has/have been set so that it/they fill(s) the whole of the new disk, select "Proceed" to complete the second restore.

Well I did say it was a little convoluted!! However, it's better than nothing if you don't have any partition management software :D.

Regards

7. sempron

sempron Registered Member

I thought that the CD's must be copied on a HD because the files have to be located on the same volume: am I mistakening?

8. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Yes. When you use the Acronis boot CD for a restore from a multiple CD backup set, the Acronis CD will be ejected when it's time and the first CD from the backup set can be inserted, and so on.

9. ancientnut

ancientnut Registered Member

Thanks for all your comments. I've printed them out for my HD installer to use next week. I'll report on any problems encountered.

10. noonie

noonie Registered Member

All of the hdrive manufacturers have free utilities that can be downloaded from their web site and used to add/migrate to a new hdisk with comprehensive instructions. It automatically allows for increased hdrive size. At the very least make cd's from Ti per Menorcaman's instructions, as a separate insurance.
    Google for free partitioning software. It's out there.
    Acronis also makes partition software although I have not used their latest versions.

11. gues

gues Guest

Menorcaman, your advice worked like a charm--clunky but very doable! Thanks!

12. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

I have a SATA Raid 0 (2X80GB) and just bought 2X250 GB SATA drives. I had thought that TI would just restore to the new size drives and just use the new size without a second restore. I am NOT using CD's to back up but an external USB2 drive. Does that matter?

13. Menorcaman

Hello MPSAN,

No, it doesn't matter whether you're using CDs, an internal HD or an external HD - TI will not expand the partitions during a "whole disk" restore. I'm assuming your RAID 0 is correctly detected after booting from the Acronis rescue CD. In which case, the workaround at #6 above should do the trick.

Regards

14. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, RAID0 is created and I will let you know. It is too bad they do not have a feature to restore and use complete drive. Anyone who has a drive fail will buy a bigger drive as prices keep going down. I still am using my 2X80GB SATA drives that were $80 each! Now I got 2X250Gb SATA's at $59.99 each!!

15. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well, I am about ready. I did the Image, but I get both boxes checked no matter what I do. Either they are both empty or both checked. I assume this is because I only have 1 partition on the drive. I am just moving from a 160GB Raid 0 to a 500GB Raid 0 and want to use the whole 500GB.

16. Menorcaman

Hi MPSAN,

I'm not sure whether the fact that you are restoring a RAID 0 image makes a difference. All I can say is that, for a non-RAID single partition HD, I can uncheck the tickbox next to the Drive Number and then only check the tickbox for the single Partition. See screenshot below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  17. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Nope, not here with 2323. They are either both checked, or are both clear. I will try this anyway and see if my 160GB image will boot on the 500GB drives showing the full 500GB. It will be interesting! I guess I could always get Partition magic or whatever the current Partition manager is, but I should not need it.

18. Menorcaman

Hmm, most strange. I too am using Build 2323 and, just to make sure, I merged the two partitions on my main system drive into one, created a whole disk image and repeated the check. As can be seen from the new screenshot in my edited post above, I can still tick the single partition.

Regards

19. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Nope. I have another system with 3 drives and at least 1 has 2 or 3 partitions. I can NOT just click the drive.

20. Menorcaman

Did you mean to say that you can NOT just click the partition?

Regards

21. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Yes, but now that I am doing the first restore, I believe it may let me. 33 minutes to go, and then I will try the second restore. I do have Partition Magic 8 but it says it may have a 300gb limit. It is a shame as it would be great to not spend an hour more doing a 2nd restore. I am not even going to boot the FIRST restore before going to the second.

***UPDATE***
    After trying about 6 times, I did get F11 to work. It sure seems like there is a narrow window where it will accept F11 !

I may have found a new bug in 2323. I reported in 2302 (and sent files to Acronis) that the Wireless USB mouse was NG. The F11 workaround worked...usbmouse=off. However, I tried a number of times now before the restore to hit F11 with 2323 and I never got to the place to enter it!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  22. bvolk

bvolk Guest

Is MPSAN describing the Restore or rather the Backup procedure settings?

23. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Restore...although when you backup you need to make sure the box next to the disk number is checked to get MBR.

24. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, looks like 2nd is going. A few more questions than I expected, but I will know how it works in an hour.

25. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

It WORKED! I have a 1/2 Terabyte Raid 0 system now. I sure wish Acronis would allow us to resize on the first restore pass. After all, if we do have a hard drive failure, most everyone will be buying a larger drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.