New HD can i load image or do i need to clone ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by garry35, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i have just bought a new hard drive using the same onboard SATA, i already have old backup images that i made. can i just restore the old image to my new drive or do i need to clone the drives ?. the hardware and configuration is exactly the same apart from the new drive. if i can just restore the old image do i need to do anything before the system is working again eg. delete old drivers etc.....

Gazzer

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The image will restore perfectly to your new drive without any other interaction.The only possible issue would be if the new drive is smaller than the original,not all imaging apps support this.

The new drive will probably be larger in which case you'll have the option to re-size any partition(s) from within the imaging app's restore media.

All in all it should be a straightforward,pain-free experience (hopefully).

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If a full image use/try that

4. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

its a FULL image and the new drive is larger (original was 1TB new is 2TB) and i intend to use acronis true image 2013 because thats the program i used to create the image.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You shouldn't have any problems at all.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.