New Harddrive on server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by meenxo, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meenxo

meenxo Registered Member

Hello everyone

This post might be somewhere out there but I was not able to find it. I am confused about Acronis True Image for Windows server. I have couple of questions before buying the software. I have a Windows 2003 server with xeon processor 4GB ram. I have 3 websites running on it with mysql databases. I have an EXTERNAL iomega harddrive to backup the images on.

My questions are: if the harddrive on my server fails, can I just buy a NEW harddrive and restore it with the backup Acronis created? What would happen to MBR? What about the partition, am I required to create a partition (NTFS C:) before running the boot cd?

Those are my questions for now :)

Thanks in advance

2. meenxo

meenxo Registered Member

Anyone help, please?

3. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Your fairly well on the mark with what you posted initially.

You won't need to worry about the MBR as its included in the backup archive when its created. Any partitions required will be created during the image deployment to the new disk.

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Although you may need to explicitly select the MBR to be put back when you restore, particularly if you are just restoring a partition.

F.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello meenxo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as it was mentioned disk/partition images contain a copy of track 0 along with MBR (master boot record). During the restoration, you can choose whether to restore MBR and track 0 by checking the respective box. Restore MBR if it is critical to your system boot.

In case you restore a single system partition and not the entire hard drive it is recommended that you re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive. The size of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity has to be the same. We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it originally resided on. Please take a look at this thread for details.

You can find the detailed instructions on restore the image archive in Chapter 6.3 "Restoring disks/partitions or files from images" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.