New Harddrive doesnt boot?!?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by iseemb, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iseemb

iseemb Registered Member

Hi,
    i got a thinkpad t43 and want to replace the original harddrive (hitachi) by a bigger and faster one (samsung ST910021A).

i cloned the old hd to the new hd, but it doesnt boot.

next step, with a fresh windowsinstallation the samsung hd works!

second time i cloned the old hd to the new hd and tried to rewrite the mbr, bootcfg and fixboot. no chance.

does anyone can help?

2. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

are you sure the new drive is listed in the boot from menu of the bios

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello iseemb,

After the clone completed, did you disconnect the cloned drive and exchange it for the old drive before rebooting into Windows for the first time? If not, have a read of this <Dan Goodell article>, in particular the bit about "Method #3 ("Kawecki's Trick"):".

Regards

4. iseemb

iseemb Registered Member

Hi,

@Mac25, yes the drive is correct listed in the bios :-(
    @Menorcaman, fixmbr i have already tested, doesnt work :-(

but tx for the relpies

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Fixmbr command isn't the same as fdisk /mbr that's mentioned in the Dan Goodell article because it won't overwrite the necessary extra 4 bytes. That's why it's called "Kawecki's Trick".

If you don't have access to a Windows 98 startup disk then send me a forum Private Message with an email address that will accept a 1.6 MB attachment and I'll forward a zipped Windows 98se startup disk ISO that you can burn to CD.

Regards

6. rollinbr

rollinbr Registered Member

Let the system boot up with the new cloned hard drive still attatched. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage". Next double click on "Disk Management". You will see the hard drives listed in the window on the right side of the page. Right click on the Samsung hard drive and you will see a list of options come up. Select "Mark Partion As Active". You will now see in the status column that "Active" has been added. You can shut down everything, disconnect the original HD, re-connect the Samsung hard drive as the only HD and it will now boot up using the Samsung HD. rollinbr

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iseemb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing the latest build.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also note that, as Menorcaman has already mentioned above, after the disk cloning is finished you should unplug one of the hard drive prior to booting into Windows for the first time, as keeping two identical hard drives, i.e. hard drives having identical "digital signatures", connected at the same time is unpleasant for Windows and might cause a number of boot or\and drive letter assignment problems.

If you didn't unplug one of the hard drives during your previous attempts then please perform the disk cloning once more, turn off the computer, unplug the "old" disk, set the "new" one as master, try to boot into Windows and see the result.

If the problem still persists after installing the update and unplugging one of the hard drives then please try to perform the disk cloning process when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build of the corresponding Acronis True Image version. In such a way you will exclude a possibility of some third-party software interfering with Acronis True Image, as no operating system or any other applications are running when computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

If that does not help either and you are still unable to boot from the newly cloned hard drive then please do the following:

- Completely unplug the "new" hard drive, install the "old" one as master, boot into Windows and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Launch Acronis Report Utility once more and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Turn off the computer, completely unplug the "old" hard drive and install the "new" one in it's place;

- Boot the computer having the issue from the beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy;

In case you do not have a floppy drive we recommend that you borrow one in order to create Acronis Report. If it is not possible please connect the hard drive containing the cloned non-bootable operating system to any other "healthy" computer, i.e. computer which can successfully boot into Windows, and create a report from within Windows as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- Rename the reports collected to report_source.txt and report_destination.txt accordingly.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. slones

slones Registered Member

I've been having the same problem with a Thinkpad with a predesktop partition. An IBM doc (MIGR-57590) states that the problem with Ghost image/restore of Thinkpads is that the MBR of drives shipped with Thinkpads made after 2004 are four sectors long instead of the usual 1 sector. Does anybody know if this is why TI image/restore isn't working? If so is there a fix?

I've seen a lot of posts in this and other fora about the Thinkpad issue and have solution for Ghost but yet to see a solution for TI. I'm using the latest version/build (bought yesterday). We have a machine dedicated to backup/restore operations of users disks so we image/restore (often to larger drives) instead of clone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.