New hard disk problem- bad sectors?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@Dundertaker
    @JRViejo

Thanks... unfortunately no such warranties here. All warranties here are via third parties. Tomorrow I will go n see with the shopkeeper I bought it from.

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

searching,,thanks for the explanation..

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi aigle;

When I was first contacting Seagate CS about my hdd problem I learned from them that the shopkeeper or the shop that sold you the hdd can perform the RMA for you and that the replacement can come from them(the shop).

You may contact Seagate CS via email and may ask for referral for RMA in your area or what help they can give you in your area. That is your right as their customer and they should assist you. I believe this will define their CS if they are "truly" in support of their customers.

DiscSupport@Seagate.com
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/

I also saw a collection point last time in the segate website for Saudi Arabia. You may wanna check out this link:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=8ed3a5af3377a110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

I also saw this and it's located in your area. It says they offer support:

www.asbis-saudi.com/

Along the line of problems with seagate, here is a link to one:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9126280/Complaints_flood_Seagate_over_hard_drive_problems

Goodluck dude!

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, thanks all for the help n suggestions.

I went to the shopkeeper from where I bought the HD. He have no idea about bad sectors etc and referred me to his technician. The tech also knows less than me but fortunately i was able to explain the problem to him by showing SeaTools results etc, so he got some idea that bad sectors are BAD in a brand new HD changed the HD. I tested the other HD right there in the shop by SeaTools DOS CD and same problem. It failed the tests. They gave me the option to refund my money that I happily accepted.

It was a night mare with Seagate. I am suspecting may be the Seagate drives they gave me, were just FAKE. I found them in only one shop and they were cheaper than Toshiba ones( the most widely available brand here). :rolleyes:

Luckily, after some search, I was able to find a 250GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue ( probabaly made in ?Thailand. some one upgraded a brand new laptop containing WD HD and it was left with the shop keeper for sale. Otherwise it,s hard to find internal WD laptop hard disks here. However you can find a lot of them as external.

I ran SeaTools and WD tools over it and it,s perfect. :thumb: :thumb: I was surprised that SeaTools and WD Tools will run over any brand of HD. That,s very good indeed.

As far as internal small hard disk( for laptops) are concerned, the market here is full of Toshiba( made in China and Phillipines). I wonder how good Toshiba is? I found some Samsung as well. What do you people think about Samsung?

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

All I can say in regard to Seagate laptop drives is: I have a box of scrap drives that I've removed from various notebooks over time.There are about 25 drives in there,18 of them are Seagate.Completely unscientific maybe but it doesn't fill me with a whole load of confidence in them.

As for Samsung and Toshiba,I've not found many of those to have failed (can't remember one in fact),again unscientific but draw from it what you will.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My Toshiba laptop,s own native HD lasted about 4 years before it suddenly died. It was made by Hitachi though.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There seem to be a considerable number of failures with the Hitachi made drives.I think you made a wise decision going for the WD drive,I've always found them to be most reliable.

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Aigle may I ask what relevance the country in which a HD is made has on the scenario?

Also Hitachi drives are nothing but garbage. Hence the name Hitachi Deathstar (Deskstar series HD).

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I personally don,t think it,s relevant but I always hear from ordinary users certain favourite countries for certain hardware. I mentioned it just to see if any one has some comments on it.

Just an example, here China made hardware is taken as a bit inferior than the one made in Japan, Germany, Ireland etc. I always deny this fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.