New Google Toolbar

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DaveU, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

For the last ten days or so, there's been a pop-up in Google trying to persuade me to use the new Google toolbar.
    I've not bothered. I have enough toolbars already (not shown).

However, using Google now returns the error message below so it seems that unless I unless I download this new tool bar, I can't use Google anymore.

Presumably this is Google's way of forcing you to use the new toolbar. Are you guys having the same issue? Any security problems with the new tool bar? Your views/help as ever will be much appreciated. Thanks

Your client does not have permission to get URL /custom?hl=en&q=boots&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-
    1&client=pub-7803381336700505&channel=3181435462&cof= from this server. (Client IP address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The website you've just visited has tried to provide you with search results from Google. Unfortunately, the site violates our terms of service so your search could not be completed. If you would like to continue with your search, please click the link below, which will take you directly to Google and the results you've requested. We apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to conduct future searches directly from google.com or through the Google Toolbar, which can be downloaded for free from this address: http://XXXtoolbar.google.com. (my 'XXX's)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

While I have seen the nag from Google to try their toolbar, I am not familiar with the types of errors you are receiving.

I have never seen anywhere that Google forces the use of their toolbar. I just helped someone with their PC last night and we uninstalled the GTB because IE7 allows you to add Google search directly to the built-in IE 7 search bar. After making the changes, we surfed for quite a while, used Google several times after that and had NO issues (popups, errors, etc.)

Clearly, something seems to be amiss with your situation. What are you using for your browser? Is your setup fully updated (Windows, antivirus, etc.) and have you fully, manually scanned you system for viruses etc.?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have never seen an offer or a popup from Google on whatever issue.
    Mrk

4. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

sorry for misleading you. The pop-up I mentioned wasn't a pop-up - it was a window on Googles home page (UK) saying "get yourself Googles new tool bar" (or something like that). I've tried several times to attach a screen dump but being thick have failed - I can't save it in a format that is accepted. o_O :(

I've got Norton AV & Firewall and a range of good spyware. I've done a scan - no problems. Perhaps it's something happening only in the UK?

Alternatively, I use BT broadband - they got in bed with Yahoo, so perhaps this is part os the silly game between Yahoo and Google that's happening at the moment?

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I see. Open it in IE, you see that in the right upper corner.
    Solution: switch to superior browsers like FF or Opera, no more message.
    Mrk

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Happens in the U.S. as well. You are correct, it is not a pop-up, nor are you infected. Just Google doing some shameless self promotion. Do not remember if I have ever seen it using FF. I have come to ignore it.

7. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

cheers guys.
    I like Google and now can't use it. I thought I'd email them - via "contact us'.
    No email address!!!!!!!!
    I'll write to them 'cos I'm Possed off now. :blink: Probably will have to send it via carrier pigeon.

As always - thanks for your help.:thumb:

8. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

I gave in . . . . and downloaded their new tool-bar . . but still got the blasted error message.
    I have at last found something in their Q&A - below. I've got Norton Internet Security - it's OK as far as I'm concerned but I now wonder if I can 'enable' executable files just from Google or is it a risk changing the settings. (Not that I know how to do that anyway!)

When I try to install the Toolbar I get a "403 Forbidden" error. What's wrong?
    This problem usually occurs if you're working behind a personal or corporate firewall. This type of security software prevents you from downloading executable files.

If you're experiencing this problem, please check all security settings related to downloading executable files. These settings may be associated with your Internet Service Provider, a personal or corporate firewall or anti-virus software. If you can identify the setting that is preventing you from downloading the Toolbar, you can adjust it and then retry the installation by visiting http://toolbar.google.com

9. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

so I emailed BT/Yahoo or whomever. Gave them some anglo-saxon, non-technical, very clear messages. (E.g. is Yahoo's battle with Google causing me grief - or words to that effect.)
    Guess what? Yahoo have sent me some very technical, cannot-understand-what-they-are-saying messages.

BUT I can now google again.

They must really think we are totally stupid. Thank you for all your help.
    I hope that you, too, will give 'em hell if you are having the same problem!!

10. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Screw Google,use Scroogle.Damn,a poet and don't know it,lol.

11. DaveU

DaveU Registered Member

Frugal!:D

12. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.