New GoBack

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Rainwalker, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Does anyone know if GoBack has come down with Syamnteitis since Syamntec bought it :doubt: I have been thinking that it has o_O

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

RainWalker, not sure what you mean? There is a new version 4.0 of GoBack, it can now hold up to 8gigs of history in its bin, only NTFS systems can have a history bin that big.

Acadia

3. Rainwalker

Thanks Acadia.............won't get into it.......................do you use it and if so are you happy with it.

Anyone else :)

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, I used an old version of GoBack for five years, waaaaaay before it belonged to Norton, and I loved it. With my new pc I found a program that I like even better, Raxco's FirstDefense-ISR. I can highly recommend both programs depending upon your needs.

Acadia

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Here here to Raxco's First Defense. There is one big big major difference. If you run into a problem with a Raxco product their tech support is excellent. My experience with Symantec would not come close.

6. Rainwalker

Thanks guys...........will Raxco work similar to GoBack in that GB gave you a number of times and days to revert to. GB also did a complete revert as opposed to the XP MS program.

7. Stro

Stro Registered Member

8. Rainwalker

Thanks Stro :cool: :cool:

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

With Raxco's FirstDefense you can keep a snapshot FOREVER; it will never disappear or become "too full" like GoBack does.

Yes, just like GoBack, a FirstDefense "restore" will "revert" the entire c:drive, not just the registry and a few files like the MS System Restore does.

Both GoBack and FD are excellent programs, which one would be best for you depends upon your needs. Beware of one thing: FirstDefense uses up much more space on your hard drive then even GoBack does; it needs all that space in order to be as flexible as it is, so FD is definitely NOT for folks with space limitations.

Acadia

10. woodswalker

woodswalker Guest

I have GoBack 4 and I have to say it has much improved over older versions. There is just so much more to it than before. It now has many new features (along with it's regular go back abilities) that make it much more like FreezeX or Shadowsurfer, like Auto back and Safe try mode. I would highly recommend it over older versions.

I personally like the ability that GoBack gives me to revert to many many different times, where FirstDefense will give you only 10 different revert times total, i believe. If you need permanent revert times just use MS system restore along with GoBack, they will both work together very well on XP.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That is correct, but they can be as far back as you want to go, even to when you first set up your computer for the very first time, a couple of years ago, you could start over with a "new" system in its pristine condition if you so wanted, but still keep the "old" snapshot around, the last one that you used, if you ever changed your mind and decided to "go back to the future".

Acadia

12. Rainwalker

@ woodswalker........thanks for the info ...............BTW, i would say that walking in the woods is hard to beat ;)
    @ Acadia thanks for more info.....i'm thinking that one could delete whatever snapshots one wanted too.....correct ?

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, that is correct. You can have anywhere from one to ten snapshots, you can delete and add as you wish.

Acadia

EDIT: To anyone who is seriously thinking of trying FirstDefense, I would recommend studying the Raxco website faqs and knowledgebase. Also, Raxco use to, I don't know if they still do, have some pdf files that you could download and study. I highly recommend that you do so. With as potent a program as this is, you want to make sure that you know how to use it. I remember that a lot of folks complained about GoBack, how lousy a program it was. Turns out most of those folks just didn't know how to properly use it; same thing with FD, you want to make sure that you understand it before you start using it.

Acadia

14. Rainwalker

Yes, that is correct. You can have anywhere from one to ten snapshots, you can delete and add as you wish.

Acadia

Ok.thanks again Acadia...................sounds good :)

15. woodswalker

woodswalker Guest

Another good program that I've heard of is RestoreIT. http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml

It is very similar to GoBack 4, but it has one feature that I wish GoBack had, and that's that you can store your images on a cd or dvd as well as a partition on your hard drive, and this copy of your system can be used to either restore your system from any problems or transfer your entire system to another hard drive, incase of complete hard drive failure, or just switching to another computer. Sounds like a combination of GoBack and Ghost in one program. I would probably switch to it myself, but I already got my copy of GoBack for free after upgrade.

16. Rainwalker

Ok woodswalker ...........i'll check it out :)

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, I downloaded something from FarStone once, the RestoreIt users guide?? or something, and found it very interesting. And now to further confuse Rainwalker, check this one out: http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/

Actually, these are the four programs that I found "somewhat" familiar although with some kind of very major differences: GoBack, FirstDefense, RestoreIt and CasperXP. I personally have used GoBack and FD quite extensively and can very highly recommend both depending upon your needs and system. RestoreIt and CasperXP may also be equally as excellent programs but since I've never tried them, I just can't say.

Rainwalker, you've got a decision to make, have fun. (I believe that GoBack and FD have trial versions, don't they?)

Acadia

18. woodswalker

woodswalker Guest

I don't think anything from Symantec has a trial version. I think they feel they're too cool for trial versions. ;)

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, I know that I trialed NAV before I purchase it, but that was NAV2004, maybe they don't do that anymore?!

Acadia

EDIT: Believe that you are right, Woodswalker, seems you can trial just about everything EXCEPT Goback:
    http://nct.digitalriver.com/0001/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.