New freeware tool released! OpenPorts

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

We've just released a brand new console tool called OpenPorts. Essentially it allows you to see which processes are using the TCP/UDP ports on your system, but there's a bit more to it than that (but everything is explained on the website). This tool is <B>FREE</B> for personal use and use in educational institutions, and licensing for commercial use is very inexpensive.

Free download (only 37kb!) - http://www.diamondcs.com.au/openports/

This is a brand new tool so help us spread the word - your friends can also use it for free. We hope you enjoy the program! :)

Cheers,
    Wayne, Jason and Gavin - DiamondCS

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Oh, I like it. I think this may well be my new recommendation regarding port to process mapping over the previous top-pick - fport.

Very nice guys!

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

LowWaterMark, OpenPorts was designed to address some of the issues with FPort. In particular:
    - FPort requires Admin access under NT4/2K, OpenPorts doesn't (you an use it even if logged in as Guest)
    - FPort suffers from some strange inaccuracy problems -- if you run netstat and fport side-by-side youll often notice that it incorrectly reports the wrong process in some cases, and in other cases it misses ports altogether.
    - FPort is 124kb, OpenPorts is 24kb :)
    - Even if you prefer FPort's display style, you can get the same look from OpenPorts by using the -fport flag
    - OpenPorts has five different display styles, to FPort's one

But lets not forget that FPort was the first console port-to-process mapper, so we have a lot of respect for it :)

Cheers,
    Wayne

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It is sort of strange that OpenPorts displays the fport display better then fport itself (due to fport missing sockets and processes a lot of the time), but with time comes progress. ;)

-Jason-

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

In case there's any confusion, when you go Start/Run and then type in cmd, do you :

click on the little black box in the upper left-hand corner that has "C:\" in it,

highlight and click on "Properties" from the drop-down context menu

on the "Options" tab, you put a checkmark in the "QuickEdit mode" box

Answer "Okay" to the "Save properties for future windows with the same title"

OR

do you click on the Defaults/Options/Edit Options/put a checkmark in "QuickEdit Mode" and "OK" it - or BOTH ?

Running WinXP Pro here. Pete

6. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

"Openports"

diamondcs, thanks for the new freeware program, openports, and for alerting me to it. i also use regprot, another excellent program.

7. Generix

Generix Registered Member

Re:"Openports"

About Openports......as soon as I execute it, it flashes on and then disappears. This happens with some other but not all command prompts. Any ideas? I'm on windows 2000

8. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Sure, same as when you run ping yahoo.com.
    this is the nature of a command-line application, it closes a dos-box when it's finnished, but you can make a batch-file like this:
    Code:
    filepath\openports.exe
    pause

and save it as openports.cmd
    Dolf

9. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Generix,

If you are clicking on the openports.exe icon from explorer, yes, the cmd window will dissappear as soon as openports is done with its output. To properly interactively (as opposed to from within a script) run any command-line tool such as this or most options of ping you need to first open the command prompt window and envoke the command from there. Depending on where you have placed the exe file you might need to first change to the directory (within the command-prompt window) to where you placed the exe.

Hopefully, this clears things up but if not please don't hesitate to let us know!

Thanks,

Dan

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

A quick guide to running openports.exe :

Extract the files to your windows directory, this saves having to type the path to openports in the command window.
    In XP (not sure about W98 or W2K) Start - Run - Type "CMD" (without the speech marks) to open the command console - type "openports" & press return.typing "openports -?" Will show the various available flags. Such as "openports -csv"

If you want to copy the contents of the console to an application or another window, you will need to right click the left hand top corner of the console click properties then options & enable the Quick edit mode. You can then fighlight the text to be copied and press Enter or CTRL C to save to the clip board - CTRL V to paste.

For more information go to: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/openports/

Copyright (C) 2003, DiamondCS - http://www.diamondcs.com.au/openports
    Free for personal and educational use only. See openports.txt for more details DiamondCS OpenPorts v1.0 (-? for help)

SYSTEM [4]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    TCP 192.168.1.100:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 192.168.1.100:137 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 192.168.1.100:138 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    spyblocker.exe [628]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    lsass.exe [636]
    UDP 0.0.0.0:500 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    iexplore.exe [672]
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1287 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    svchost.exe [824]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    svchost.exe [876]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 192.168.1.100:123 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1034 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 127.0.0.1:123 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    Smc.exe [912]
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1047 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    B9.exe [964]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    svchost.exe [1116]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 192.168.1.100:1900 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1900 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    avpcc.exe [1480]
    TCP 0.0.0.0:8086 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 0.0.0.0:8087 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    WallWatcher.exe [1820]
    UDP 0.0.0.0:162 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    iexplore.exe [2836]
    UDP 127.0.0.1:1444 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

11. Wayne - DiamondCS

I encourage everyone to read this page - Frequently Asked Questions
    It should answer most of your questions, including "why does OpenPorts just open as a console window and then immediately close?", which so far has been the single most frequently asked question regarding OpenPorts ... :) - there's a very simple answer, and it's at that page.

Best regards,
    Wayne

12. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:) i have port explorer do i need this also does this program support windows me.

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Think you mean the autostartguard. but may i suggest you post about that in a separate thread Blaze, to keep this one on topic about the OpenPorts, which you can't use anyway on your winME -- you have Port Explorer available.

14. pin

pin Registered Member

free is always cool!

btw how does this program stack up with tcpview.. i like that program, but it does crash on me once in a while!

15. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

I haven't used TCPView but I have the Pro version and a couple points of contast are

TCPView is a GUI (the Pro also has a CLI tool) while openports is CLI

TCPView has a realtime logging capability while openports does not (though it can if you create a script for it)

I personally would trust the readout of openports over TCPview but that is a personal opinion.

As with most command line tools, openports offers more flexibility just for its ease of inclusion within scripts.

Openports is tiny and does not require an installation (the non pro tcpview may not require install either but I know the Pro version does)

Anything that openports cannot do the DCS PortExplorer can

HTH,

Dan

16. Wayne - DiamondCS

Port Explorer does, just on that note :)

I find it best to compare TCPView with Port Explorer (GUI vs GUI), and then compare FPort and OpenPorts separately (console vs console) :). And regardless of which port-to-process mapper you use, always compare its results (at least the first few times you use it) to that of netstat, as netstat will always display correct results (it just won't show the process ID, unless you're running Windows XP), and im confident that you'll find Netstat, OpenPorts and Port Explorer are the only ones that consistantly show accurate, and complete results :)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Wayne

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks Wayne for that free tool. It is most appreciated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.