Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Anyone know if the newest version of Mozilla Firefox, Firefox 45.0.2, will work with the Windows XP Pro Operating System? And, if so, would you recommend I upgrade? Still using version 43.0.4 and having no problems whatsoever. As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I have it running on XP.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi John, I am on 45.0.1 in XP. I ll probably upgrade to 45.0.2 tonight. Firefox works as good in my XP as in my W7. I put the XP though heavier browsing that the W7. All is well. No issue of any kind. I suggest you upgrade to 45.0.2:cool:, eyes shut.

Edit: JP, I installed 45.0.2 a little while ago.....feels great, better than 45.0.1. :)

Bo

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. topo

topo Registered Member

jp, i now have ff 45.02 running on 3 xp's and win7. the problem i posted about the other day turned out to be internet provider related. update and enjoy. thanks

5. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Is there any way to find out what has been added/removed from about:config between versions?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

It would be nice if each release were accompanied by a master list of preferences (and their defaults), that included hidden prefs which are checked by the code but are not visible in about:config. Unfortunately, I don't think there is such a beast. Prefs can differ based not only on release but platform, there are those hidden ones that aren't surfaced, system addons can create/initialize prefs in a delayed manner, some prefs are created at runtime, plus extensions can create their own. So it is a bit complicated. However, even if you don't nail down every difference you can still benefit from understanding the bulk of the changes.

In addition to what JRViejo mentioned, several approaches to monitoring preference changes (between versions, while running, ...) were discussed in the Firefox lockdown thread. You can look through there. Two of them were:

1) https://cat-in-136.github.io/tags.html#tag_pref diff
    2) Doing your own export of preferences, from the two versions you are interested in, and comparing the differences in those files. I threw together some code/tools to help me do that. In case you are interested in such a route: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/firefox-lockdown.368003/page-8#post-2580863

8. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

@JRViejo @TheWindBringeth

Nicely done lads... thanks so much!
    It's annoying enough to update the browser so many times. Add to that the deprecated preferences, along with new ones and the sinister "hidden" preferences. The fuel behind my question revolves around some entries being "rolled back" to original values after upgrading. I find this quite irritating... almost as irritating as the GHacks site stuck on v43!

Time to see if I can tame this beast, or become enveloped in my insanity. Thanks once again!

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

+1. The lockdown thread is what other threads should be like. Kudos to those participating there!

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. TheWindBringeth

Was enforcement of Mozilla-signed extensions pushed out to FF47? Can anyone confirm that FF46 *will* honor xpinstall.signatures.required=false and not interfere with the unsigned extensions?

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  15. TheWindBringeth

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.addons.user-experience/w-PtqPp6l98

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Could some of you that have upgraded from 45.0.2 to 46.0 using the in-built updater say how big the download was for you ?

After upgrading to 46.0 - I again took a look in CCleaner. And I see that Pocket (now a system addon ?) is enabled again. And a new extension for the up-coming multi-process "e10s" stuff got distributed with 46.0. (also a system addon ?)

multipock.JPG
    2.JPG

Unfortunately, neither of these two are found in the add-ons section in Firefox with all the other "normal" extensions, but they are both seen as enabled under about:support. I wonder if both are so called system addons.

I also checked that Pocket (after upgrading to 46.0) was still disabled in every possible way using all about:config tweaks and all options tied to it in both the Classic Theme Restorer and Privacy Settings add-on, and it indeed was. So it seems they don't have any effect on this because it still says enabled under about:support, which is kind of expected I guess.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I believe I saw a 17.6 MB download, using the Internal Updater.

Regarding the new addons, I read about them somewhere, and will need to find the source to post back. My CCleaner shows the same as yours, plus Hello (loop@mozilla.org.xpi), and I had previously disabled both Pocket & Hello.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks, JR.

I only asked since I had fiddle around disabling the "Hello beta" in CCeaner so I wanted to make sure I didn't get a bigger download than I should have, my download was 18.7 MB using the internal updater, so I guess it's normal.

Oh right. One positive thing was that the "Hello beta" was still disabled in CCleaner and "false" under about:support after the upgrade to 46.0, always something.

I will wait a while before I try disabling Pocket and maybe also the "e10s" extension in CCleaner until we hear more about them.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, this is where I read some of these things:

loop@mozilla.org.xpi: Bug 1249764 - Sign Hello System Add-on XPI

e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi is part of the Electrolysis project:
    Bug 1249845 - Firefox 46 beta/release split the audience and offer e10s to a configurable subset

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Mine was ~21MB (on Linux).

22. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

FF 46.0 keeps crashing when I open a webpage. Submitted a report. Reverted back to FF 45.0.2: no problems.

Win10 1511 build 10586.218 x64/Norton Security with Backup v22.6.0.142

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

24. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Bug 1268025 - startup crashes by HitmanPro Alert after the firefox 46 update

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.