Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Yes, it's not new but the improved UI is - which was what I was reporting, nothing else.

I think the Updates Team member was insinuating that I was trying to reinvent the wheel :isay:

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Ok. But, i am still unable to figure out what was improved.. :) Sorry, it seems to be looking exact way to prior version to me...

3. siljaline

The right-click menu dialogue has improved of which I'm unable to provide a screen capture.

4. harsha_mic

B/w I am intereseted to see if OMTC and Cache v2 brings any improvements in responsiveness area :)

5. siljaline

Please post back a link to the add-on that allows this. Disconnect have confirmed that the URL https://search.disconnect.me/ cannot be used as a search engine in Firefox although I have no specifics other than what they (Disconnect) informed me on Twitter.

Again - this is the Mozilla KB article.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-bar-add-change-manage-search-engines-firefox

You may use Disconnect as search with Firefox but not set as a (search engine) - specifically.

6. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Attached Files:

7. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

It helps to read release notes
    • New - Easier back, forward, reload, and bookmarking through the context menu
    Context.png

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. harsha_mic

hmm...I know the right click UI was changed.
    I was quoting on Re. Permission tab of the Page Info window. I was confused initially with the screenshot he attached.
    Later he had clarified in his post #53.

Anyway, thanks for your effort in putting the screenshot. I think you used some 3rd part screen capture tool!!

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. siljaline

There's also the visual method which works somewhat like Internet Explorer.

For most that use MSIE | IE or Internet Explorer which are all the same Browser, reading and participating at Wilders is a learning experience. It should not be assumed we're all experts 100 % of the time.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

After posting the above, I noticed that my about:permissions page looked different:

2014-09-03_213508.png

Both Use the Camera and Use the Microphone permissions have been added in FF 32. I wasn't able to find anything online describing these additions, but if you do, please post it.

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

13. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

@JRViejo: The camera and microphone permissions are related to getUserMedia (javascript access to camera/mic) and WebRTC (web real-time communications, including video/voice streaming and chat). Those are two terms that will get you some hits.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, I'm aware of what you posted, and during my prior search, I found WebRTC Now Available Across Mobile and Desktop with new Firefox for Android Compatibility. However, while I found that Firefox 22 (Release Notes) announced the inclusion of WebRTC, I don't recall seeing the Camera & Microphone permissions before the new Firefox 32 version. Even the present Mozilla Permission Manager page does not show them in their screen capture.

Perhaps if someone reading this, having an older FF version than 32, can access their permissions (as per my Post) and tells us the first version that incorporated these 2 permissions.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks Victek! Glad to see that they are working on it. :thumb:

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi J R. To check what you like to know, I reinstalled (sandboxed) Firefox 30 and Firefox 21. In Firefox 30, the about permissions page looks exactly the same as in Firefox 32. In Firefox 21, the Camera & Microphone permissions were not incorporated yet. I ll find out later for you when I have a little bit of time exactly the version in which they were first incorporated for the first time. But it whats done in one of the versions between 21 and 30.

Bo

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks, and good to read that they're moving away from MD5.
    EDIT:I also noticed that when viewing certificates in Firefox it now shows SHA1 and SHA256.

19. bo elam

J R, it was in Firefox 30. Firefox 29 did not show anything regarding Camera & Microphone permissions in about permissions.

Bo

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks Bo! That's good to know, because their Permission Manager's page has not been updated. :oops:

stapp was kind enough to also contribute this: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Media/getUserMedia. Thanks stapp! :thumb:

21. bo elam

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

While browsing the release notes I spotted this:

Make gUM permissions (audio-capture, video-capture) allow by default for certified apps
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1021643
    What it seems to be describing is allowing "certified apps" to bypass camera/audio/video permissions configured by the user. I think Firefox OS apps, particularly the Loop client which uses WebRTC, are the focus. However, Firefox desktop supports some kind of apps too and it is meant to support Loop. So maybe it or at least the mentality will apply to desktop too. I don't know. Seems noteworthy, thus this note.

FWIW, I also spotted:

Rename Seer to Predictor
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1016622

Predictor as in predictive networking connections and requests. Those who want to disable that type of thing might want to update their preference changes, notes, whatever (network.seer.enabled -> network.predictor.enabled for example). It looks like it is still off pending the rewrite: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1009122

Edit: Forgot another item of interest...

Decide how to expose the option to disable openh264
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1007694

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  23. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Loop (audio/video chat) has moved to Beta 33.
    The Cisco plugin, the (telephone receiver) icon and functional widget.

24. siljaline

I wouldn't run BETA software or add-ons on my FINAL release Browser unless there was a compelling reason and I fail to see one.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.