Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

CoolWebSearch, I don't think so. If you look at the ESR Release Notes, they are focused on security fixes. And the Overview page states:

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If by "sandbox" you mean Electrolysis/e10s that is not enabled by default in FF v36 (stable channel).

3. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

No, I mean on sandbox, it was specifically mentioned by some posters here that Mozilla Firefox 36 and 37 will have built-in sandbox, like Google Chrome does.
    And I finally solved this issue, I have re-installed Windows XP Pro service pack 2 first, than I installed Windows XP Pro service pack 3 from ground zero, and now I can install and normally run Mozilla Firefox 36.0 without any errors or any other issues, I finally solved this problem once and for all!

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I believe we're talking about the same thing; Electrolysis/e10s is the name for the Mozilla project to enable every tab to run in a separate process as Chrome currently does.

From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

"The goal of the current Electrolysis project ("e10s" for short) is to render and execute web related content in a single background 'content' process which communicates with the main Firefox process via various ipdl protocols. The two major advantages of this model are security and performance. Security improvements are accomplished through sandboxing, performance improvements are born out of the fact that multiple processes better leverage available client computing power.

For current status, visit the current project roadmap overview. The e10s team estimates e10s with a single content process will be enabled in Firefox Release by the end of 2015"

e10s is available currently in the Firefox nightly builds.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

I will nice to see real sandboxing. Sometimes I feel like I should switch to Chrome just for that feature. Although I've never really understood how much NoScript's Application Boundaries Enforcer (ABE) functionality does something similar.

6. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    firefox 36.0.1 is out
    i got it via internal update
    cheers

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

11. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Their market share has nothing to do with Chrome look-a-like transformation. They're simply outspent by Google.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Not only that but AFAICT Firefox is not bundled with other products, so it doesn't get installed on computers unintentionally.

14. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

That's why I said they were outspent. Remember when it was bundled with Adobe Flash and you couldn't opt-out?

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, I don't remember an arrangement where you couldn't opt out, but most people don't even notice and take a moment to try and figure it out. When I see Chrome on customers' machines I make a point of asking about it. Most say they don't use it and don't know how it got there. Some don't even know what it is. This doesn't constitute "market share".

16. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Is anyone having problems opening locally stored pdf files with 36.0.1? Every time I drag a pdf to an open FF window it asks me what to do with it (open/save) endlessly instead of opening it. Opening pdfs from urls works without issues.

17. cooperb21

cooperb21 Registered Member

I really love the new 64bit version in beta its really fast.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

No. Perhaps you want to check the settings in the Tools > Options > Applications Panel. to see if something changed with the 36.0.1 update.

19. 3x0gR13N

Nothing's changed, it's set to "preview in Firefox" as always. I'll keep digging until I get fed up and just reinstall from scratch.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

If you haven't done so already, why don't you change the setting, say "Use Adobe Reader (default)" and try it to verify the action. Then, change to "preview in Firefox" and test to see if it works as before. Worth a try before reinstalling the browser.

21. Gave FF 36 a try to see whether "the sandbox" was implemented. As claimed by some Wilders Members recently.

BTW the claims of FF for being the fastest and safest browsers impressed me. The cold launch time is indeed very impressive. On the security side I did not see any sub processes running with low rights. Should I enable something in the settings?

I think their marketing is awesome awesome. The true mozillian testimonials looked the same as "I am an enlighted bhagwan believer" in the 80-ties. With such marketing friends on-board, who needs enemies?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  22. 3x0gR13N

Tried it as well. :) No changes unfortunately. Thanks for the help. I think the fix is somewhere in about:config, although what changed from 36 to 36.0.1 is a mystery.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3x0gR13N, you're welcome! Perhaps a review might shed some light: Firefox 36.0 vs Firefox 36.0.1. Let us know if you find anything.

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think you ought to test with a new Firefox profile. In a new profile, without changing anything, the PDF should preview in Firefox when you drag and drop it.

The preference in about:config that enables and disables Preview in Firefox is "pdfjs.disabled" But if its set to false (default) and you set PDFs to Preview in Firefox (as you have), the PDF should open automatically within Firefox when you drag and drop it with NO prompts from Firefox. You getting a prompt is kind of strange. You shouldn't be getting prompts when you set PDF to preview. If the preference is set to true, you get Firefox prompts giving you options to open the PDF out of the browser or save. Test with the new profile.

Bo

25. 3x0gR13N

I've tried starting FF in safe mode- no change. Creating a new profile fixes the issue, although everything in about:config that is pdf related is the same (it's possible it's some other setting that's causing issues).
    I'll probably just open local pdfs via Word Online, it's easier than starting FF from a clean profile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.