New F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks lodore :thumb:

Yes, it would be interesting to see how they perform in the next av-comp test.

Frankly, they have been going downhill in tests lately and maybe this is also one of the reasons for the change.

2. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Just to clear up some confusion.

Yes, Aquarius is the BitDefender engine.

BitDefender is a technology partner of F-Secure. Their technology is used as part of our layered, multiple engine approach and complements F-Secure's own scanning technology in F-Secure's anti-malware products.

As an example, F-Secure Anti-Virus consists of several other technologies and services, such as F-Secure Hydra - our own anti-malware scanner engine, our proactive F-Secure DeepGuard technology coupled with the real-time protection network and our anti-rootkit technology, called F-Secure BlackLight.

Patrik
    Chief Security Advisor
    F-Secure

3. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Wow, so after years and years of partnership with Kaspersky the scan-engine is replaced by Bitdefender :eek: Why the sudden change? System resources? Detection?

4. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

I also want to know that but i think we will never now the real meaning :D

5. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

We can't go into details unfortunately.

Patrik

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

At least one detail is quite obvious if you have been looking at how GDATA, MicroWorld and now F-Secure all moved away from the KAV engine........

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for clearing this up:thumb:
    shame eset dont allow other companies to intergrate their engine in to their products.

8. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

IMO (my opinion only, I know nothing of the concrete details)..... bitdefender has been driving a hard bargain with the vendors who are currently using the avp sdk, which frankly, isn't good value for money any more...it is the old v6 engine which is two (soon to be three) versions behind the current Kaspersky offering meaning advanced heuristics and the like are almost nowhere to be seen and it acts as a huge signature repository....which most vendors already have enough of. Bitdefender has a younger engine with promising heuristics (so does Kaspersky, but they aren't selling that one) whereas Kaspersky have kind of let the SDK die because they probably have a big enough customer base not to have to sell out their technology so much anymore.... plus bitdefender obviously knows the sdk is old so they been sniping new partnerships with hard to refuse offers with their current engine.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, that too.......thanks for reminding me :)

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Uuhm, if it is soo bad why they still have this old engine on all their retail business products? :blink:

Fax

11. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

because the business products have the rest of the kaspersky proprietary technology (not just the bare engine)....proactive defense, AH, etc.... v8 of the business line is internal testing atm, hopefully it will be released sometime this year.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Of course but also F-SECURE counts on own proprietary proactive technology as well as most other multi-engine security software around. Engine in isolation is not a good measure to assess performance/protection of a security tool.

The point stands, the KAV engine detection per se is not as bad as you could think (still used by KL business line) and system drivers kept up to date. Moreover mantaining two lines of AV definitions is a cost. This will probably change in the near future as soon as the transition to the new versions is completed.

Reasons for changing are most probably others... e.g. SDK toolbox and flexibility.

Fax

13. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I'm scared about the changes (KAV x BitDefender) but let's see it...
    Here in Brazil KAV has very good detection while BD hasn't.
    Maybe F-Secure own engine will keep the good detection rates here...

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well surely you can send samples to f-secure if it misses anything?
    im interested in the detection rate with the bitdefender engine.
    I thought f-secure had finaly just had their own inhouse engines and was really impressed. shame they still use a third party engine. does help with detection thou.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I wish they had stayed with Kaspersky. It was the one thing that kept their FP rate low. Now it will go through the roof with Bitdefender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.