New Drive Snapshot Build

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Jo Ann, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

No it does not. Drive Snapshot requires no other file other than the single 290 kb exe file be placed anywhere on the disc to be usable on any PE disc. There are no .inf files nor any required .cab files. It is simply one single exe, which is completely portable and independent. There is no need for PE plugins because of this. All you need to do is boot the PE, navigate to the Drive Snapshot .exe, and execute it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi n8chavez

When u create the ISO from UBCD you have the opportunity to ADD plugins. UBCD does not have Drive Snapshot in its armoury unless you physically add it to the ISO via the plugin section as u create the ISO.

The point here is (I think you and I may be talking about two different things) that to get Drive Snapshot as PART OF THE ISO it has to be added (in UBCD) via the Addin button which as far as I can see only allows for the file with a .CAB extension.

HOWEVER, if u create UBCD as an ISO, then burn to CD WITHOUT Drive Snapshot and put the Drive Snapshot on a USB drive, then boot via the CD using UBCD and then start from the USB drive using the DS exe, then it will work.

That is not what I want to do. I want to directly access Drive Snapshot from the Boot CD, which as yet has not been explained in a way that I can make it work for the forgoing reasons

Thanks

Terry

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Terry,

That can be accomplished by using an iso-file manager which allows you to simply copy snapshot.exe into the UBCD4Win iso-file contents (before burning the CD).

I use (and like) UltraIso but it's not free. I think that IsoBuster also provides that capability and is free.

Aaron

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What you noticing here is one of the main differences between boot discs and using a bootable usb drive. With the latter there are no ISO files to mess with so it's easier to add custom software. But if you need to use XPE , as opposed to 7PE or VistaPE, then Terry is right; you'll need an ISO utility.

5. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes UltraISO is simply the best of its kind, imho. Btw, could check raymond's blog forum where he introduced a while ago a giveaway offer that is always on today.

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Thanks very much to n8chavez and ruinbabine for all their help.

The UBCD now works with Drive Snapshot on board and I learnt how to do something.

Thanks

Terry

7. Aaron Here

You're welcome. :rolleyes:

8. Aaron Here

9. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It is sad that it did not have DOS version for both backup and restore.

If it has DOS version(Or a linux version that is bootable), I will choose it!

It is more convenient to do all things in one environment.:D

10. Aaron Here

I completely agree - that's why I do both operations using Windows! ;)

11. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello although i am not interested at having DS in UBCD (which i don't use).
    I just want to address one issue i.e., is it compatible with Dynamic Disk (hope it is not SATA):: on my friends PC, the Recovery Drive Snapshot Disc wont recognise the NTFS partition: and other Backup application like Acronis Rescue Builder and Roxio Back on Track showed the same thing.
    What could be the problem ?

Yeah i really hope the Author of Drive Snapshot would integrate the Back function from the Recovery Disc as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.