New Dr.Web CureIt! with efficiency improved manyfold

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SergM, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergM

SergM Registered Member

June 24, 2010

The Russian anti-virus vendor Doctor Web announced the release of the completely reworked version of its free utility Dr.Web CureIt! that comes to rescue of millions of users all over the world in the time of need. The updated version features brand new algorithms for neutralization of cyber threats. During beta-testing the utility demonstrated superior efficiency compared with other Dr.Web products. Improvements incorporated into the new Dr.Web CureIt! will be implemented in the commercial version of the utility and later in all Dr.Web products.

The key innovation of Dr.Web CureIt! is its own starter that solves curing issues that arose due to flaws in operation of a standard WinRAR unpacker. It also minimizes the probability for malicious programs to block the utility upon its starting and doesn’t allow unpacking the file without launching it. By now intruders might take advantage of the latter issue and use third party tools to build the utility on their own and spread Trojans disguised as Dr.Web CureIt!.

Dr.Web self-protection is initiated at the earliest phase of launching. New stealth algorithms allowing the utility to remain unnoticed by viruses rule out the possibility of blocking before this point.

In order to deal with widely spread Trojan.Winlock programs the unique blocker neutralization mode has been implemented in Dr.Web CureIt!. Upon launching the utility all its windows are displayed on a protected desktop that can’t be blocked by malware. A user receives a notification informing him that he may continue using Dr.Web CureIt! in the enhanced protection mode (in this mode no other applications can be launched) or switch to the standard mode. If the user decides on staying in the enhanced mode, he won’t be able to change for the standard mode of operation until scanning is completed.

Unlike the previous versions, new Dr.Web CureIt! is fully compatible with various system emergency tools for Windows such as LiveCD.

System requirements of the utility have changed: now it runs only under Windows 2000 and later; support of both 32- and 64-bit systems has been implemented with self-protection and enhanced anti-blocker mode operational in both cases. As before the utility is updated as new virus databases are released to remain up-to-date at all times.

The new Dr.Web CureIt! proved to be highly demanded and received positive feedback from a large number of users during the beta-testing. Developers did their best to ensure that the upgraded utility would remain one of the most powerful tools of emergency anti-virus aid.

Download new Dr.Web CureIt!

http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=1180&lng=en&c=5

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I think everyone should be happy with this news :thumb:

3. SergM

SergM Registered Member

Try it and write the comments ;)

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

No need to do that atm as it would take some time to scan my pc, which has its face washed already anyway ;)

But thanks for the news man :cool:

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Great News...:D

6. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I am looking for an on-demand AV to go with Hitman Pro and MBAM. Just ran my first Dr Web CureIt! quick scan, ran smoothly no problems. Will do a complete scan tomorrow.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Quick scan took forever. I hate to imagine what the full scan is like.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Full-Scan Time: 1 Hour and 45 Minutes.
    No Scanner (On-Demand or Resident) required such a long time to Fully Scan my PC.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. SergM

SergM Registered Member

You want speed or quality?
    Many vendors offer speed, but not quality

10. gery

gery Registered Member

i want both and i guess many do
    also many vendors offer both speed and quality

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You can tweak the speed by doing an extension scan only.

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Isn't it possible to have them BOTH?
    -Why Quality (=High Detection) must exclude High Speed and Vice-versa?

For example, AVIRA AntiVir
    although it is Not an On-Demand Scanner/Cleaning Tool,
    like Dr.Web CureIt!,
    offers High Detection (=Quality) and High Speed Scans.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes quick scan are two examples that have both.

Dr Web quick scan was about a hour. Hitman Pro is about 1 minute.

14. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

Hello clocks,

Try to disinfect a worm from a trusted .exe and you will see that MBAM or most of Hitman pro engines can't do that. But Dr.Web AV/CureIt can.

~Comment removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
  15. SergM

SergM Registered Member

How much files have been checked up AVIRA AntiVir and Dr. Web CureIt! And for what period of time?
    Here it also will be the answer

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Dr Web is the thoroughest scanner ever seen by me.
    btw, Dr Web is now integrated in Hitman Pro. But I doubt if the Dr Web scanner part in Hitman will be as effective as in CureIt.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Just a reminder. We are not a malware trading forum. See the Terms Of Service for using these forums.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

My entire System = 2 Hard Disks...Every time, I check my Setup...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  19. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Hitman Pro did not scan every file...Whereas Dr. Web CureIt scan everything...

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

CureIt used to only take an avg. of 5-10 min to scan your drive, but I noticed a while back that the scan times increased ten fold. I quit using it while I was on-site or remotely cleaning infected pc's. In fact it's rare that I use it altogether now. However I may give this new version a trial run in the near future.

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Even with quick scan? Then what is the purpose of quick scan, and how is it different than the full scan?

22. SergM

SergM Registered Member

YOU are not able to read? In the main window of the scanner all it is described.
    At primary scanning operative memory and the started applications is checked.
    At express scanning it is checked :
    "In this mode the following objects are scanned:
    * Random access memory
    * Boot sectors of all disks
    * Startup objects
    * Boot disk root directory
    * Root directory of Windows installation disk
    * Windows system folder
    * User documents folder ("My documents")
    * System temporary folder
    * User temporary folder"

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I guess not ~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  24. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone have any additional feedback on DrWeb Cureit? I tried the "new" DrWeb Cureit for the first time today. I just finished scanning the System Partition of all three of my Windows XP Pro SP3 PC's (Custom Scan (System Partition), Report Only, No Prompts).

Yes, DrWeb Cureit does take much longer than many of the other Anti-Malware scanners. It "typically" took around 1.5 to 4.5 hours for the scans. The ~4.5 hours scan time was for an 8 year old PC.

Only one "Suspicious" file (shown as a Probable Script.Virus) was detected. This file is 'apparently' the Windows Registry backup which is optional during the the installation process of Spybot Search & Destroy. I uploaded this backup reg file to VirusTotal and DrWeb was the 1/43. Therefore, I conclude that this is a False Positive.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  25. risl

risl Registered Member

It is a scanner component of Dr.Web antivirus. Full AV-database, heuristics and cleaning abilities.

What I think makes it stand out from the crowd is the ability to operate in heavily infected machines, in situations where many tools even refuse to start. Other strong point is the ability to handle complicated malware like file infectors, rootkits etc. I've never seen it being unable to perform actions to malicious objects.

.. and ofcourse, it doesn't require an installer.

----

About the scanning speed: I'm a Dr.Web AV user and the complete scan takes over 2 hours on my computer.. and this is just over 60 GB of data. For example, avast does this in 15-20 minutes. It is quite annoying and i rarely perform full system scans these days :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.