new cpu w/winxp can i restore from a backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WGHATTAN, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WGHATTAN

WGHATTAN Registered Member

I reaiize that I cannot restore my old hard drive backup into a new computer without using sysprep in a basic clone of the hardware. But can I install windows xp in the new computer and then restore the old programs and data. taking selected files from the old windows32 directory etc.o_O
    If its possiable what files would be needed?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Because most programs put items in the Registry during installation, you cannot just copy programs from a Backup Image on to another drive - but with data you can.

It would be better to re-install your programs so you don't carry over all the junk that accummulates in the Registry over time. But if you do not mind that, there is another way to Recover (restore) a backup Image to a new system, in fact two ways other than using Sysprep.

1. You would have to get True Image Workstation 9 with the Universal Restore add-on option.
    2. This method wouldn't cost you so much. First you have to pull the drivers off the new system if you don't already have a driver cd for it, by using a program like Driver Genius. Next, before you make an Image of the old system drive, change its display adapter to a generic one then do the Backup. Then, boot the new system with the bootable TI cd, and use its Recovery function to restore the backup. Afterwards, the new system should boot up with the generic display. I've done this a few times and it worked for me. You can then change the display using standard Windows procedure for updating drivers.

3. WGHATTAN

I appreciate the comment & help. I have been researching this problem for several days. When the business cpu goes down it usually means at least a day of installing software after getting a new one. The data is no problem TI 10. does a great job. Along with "MOVING WINDOWS XP default folders" from the windowsBBS.com even that will be faster. The business cpu is left on 24/7 and just can't keep up with the strain. I have had to reinstall at least 4 times in the last 4 years. Thanks again.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you saying that the business system dies due to a failed motherboard once a year? That is truly excessive if true. I'd assume that there is a ventilation problem that is severe for the motherboard to fail.

Are you really replacing the entire computer every year with a new one?

If only the hard drive is failing, then an image restore would have you up and running in an hour.

5. WGHATTAN

It's both a ventilation problem and cheep drives. The machines were bought used or from Tiger (e-mach garbage) the drives were rebuilts but I didn't know when I got them. The ventilation problem is dogs with lots of hair. He had a cleaning lady who didn't want to get near the computers so she vacumed less then she should have. I got a ton of hair from the chine last time I opened it.
    With the real estate business slow he will have more time to do things right. (ha) . I have been playing with nLite an unattended setup program. If it works like I have read I will be able to install winXP and some of the programs then just install the rest of the programs and restore via TI10 the data.

In following the threads in this forum I have found a lot of hints. ie. BartPE and moving the data to a seperate Partation. This makes it easy to find when its needed.

Thanks again.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As long as it's only the drives that are failing, TI is a good solution. I'd make backup images of each machine to one external USB hard drive. That way you have the operationg system, all applications and all settings ready to restore when a drive fails.

The data can be backed up more frequently to another external or internal hard drive or burned to CDs (CDs are usually large enough for data backups).

7. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

If you often have those kind of problems with HD or CPU dying, why not invest in Acronis True Image workstation with universal Restore.
    That way no prob about IDE/SATA/CPU/MBR and what so ever, it will almost always do the job without a glitch.

That's my one two cents, the back side of it is the price a little higher than home edition.

Jaycee

8. WGHATTAN

Thanks for the input.
    I will answer both here and ask a new question.
    jmk94903-- I have been doing this starting with Ghost when I ran across TI 10, I use it for 2 types of backups. On an external for if the Drive goes bad (full with incrementals) and a data only on an internal using TI 10's secure zone. (not sure it should be in secure zone I a new cpu is required).

jaycee-- I'm thinking about it But. ----- I just looked at the product overview For workstation to do this I would also have to have Universal restore. While they look good There seems to be a problem with UR in that sysprep is needed also. Unless the threads I have been looking at are out of date and UR has been upgraded.

I have been playing with nLite and found it works. I am presently trying to make cab files for office programs to install with the stand alone. Then if I can get the settings for the programs all that is needed is the Data recovery with TI 10.
    The new question is with this in mind. Can TI 10 back these up, or do I have to use XP's File transfer for going to a new computer?
    Save it to a file in the Secure Zone Drive and then back it up with TI 10.

Should this question be a new thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.