New constant update issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bagby, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagby

bagby Registered Member

Approximately 3 weeks ago, NOD32 4.2.42.0, Win XPSP3
    began experiencing continuous update problems -- usually, "Error extracting file".

I can and have successfully intervened manually to delete requisite files out of %appdata% and try again, but the problem is now occurring on a daily basis.

I am not willing to babysit every update and intervene every day. Since intervention usually requires releasing at least one file lock, I can't automate this much.

Why are all almost all of my automatic updates now failing with this error? How can I fix it?

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Try clearing your update cache and restarting your computer. You can clear your update cache by opening up the ESET GUI, pressing F5 on your keyboard, clicking 'Update', and clicking 'Clear'.

If that doesn't work then maybe uninstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus, restart your computer, and then download and install the latest build (v4.2.64.12) from ESET's website.

Regards,

Mark

3. bagby

bagby Registered Member

Neither of those has solved the problem, and I'm continuing to get the same error message with almost every update.

I'm not willing to continue constantly fixing this issue by hand. Is there some other way to get NOD32 to successfully update?

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello bagby,

In an Admin account make sure these two directories exist and that you can write to them. C:\Windows\Temp and
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp

Also make sure that the Temp and TMP folders are listed in the Environmental Variables and both point to C:\Windows\Temp

BFG

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please create a Process monitor log during a problematic update and provide it to ESET customer care for perusal.

6. bagby

bagby Registered Member

These suggestions weren't getting me anywhere, and actually don't seem applicable -- like someone's reading a script that doesn't fit the situation but they're not allowed to deviate from it.

So I sat back and thought about how I would make the application suddenly misbehave this way, if I wanted to. (Very useful debugging technique.)
    Then it was blindingly obvious. If the application constantly reports that it can't unpack files and do the update, but it's all fine when I delete the contents of the update directory by hand and run the update manually, tell me quick, first thing that pops into your head: what's the problem with the automatic update?

Permissions. Of course. (Slap to forehead.) In the process of shuffling things around, the administrative permissions for the ALL USERS folder and its subfolders, had gotten out of whack and the update process suddenly couldn't delete or overwrite its old update files anymore. Give it full control of that directory tree again, and the problem vanishes.

Okay, I probably should have thought of that earlier. But you guys certainly should have. (Note that it's not enough that *I* can write to them, but that ESET can, and those aren't necessarily the same thing.)

Hopefully you will when the next person has this issue (and I notice it returns quite a few hits on Google.)

At any rate, I'm good. Thank you and good night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.