New config editor is no different to the old one?!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by EvilDave UK, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

I was expecting the new Config Editor to contain options for enabling/disabling certain bits in NOD32 v2.7. However it seems that this is not the case! The Config Editor does not give you the option to specify "Potentially unwanted applications" or whether you want anti-stealth enabled or disabled!

Apart from the new RA Server and Console having Vista compatibility, this is the ONLY change I can see so far. I'm very surprised the Config Editor does not contain any new options that relate to v2.7!

For companies that actually want the option enabled or disabled, this could prove to be a major headache for those who have many workstations, because I for one have had to manually change the option per workstation in several different screens.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have these options there:

Attached Files:

3. EvilDave UK

4. EvilDave UK

There seem to be two different versions! This is odd as there were no traces of the RA Server or Console v2.5 on the server as it was a fresh reinstall.

5. EvilDave UK

Just for the record, I've confirmed this to be happening with other clients whose RA Server and Console have been upgraded from 1.0.11 to 1.0.14.

I think it's safe to say that this is a bug..? That and the other issue with the Help > About screen where the "Version running on this machine" doesn't show!

6. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Same here,

Started config editor from RAC --> 1.24.018
    Started config editor from Startmenu --> 1.29.023

4 Version number u already started a thread

7. mwd

mwd Registered Member

I upgraded from 1.0.11 to 1.0.14 and both locations of my config editor show the same version.

I have noticed that the exe file that triggers the configuration is:

cfgedit.exe

... and it is in 2 locations on my system:

\Eset\cfgedit.exe
    \Eset\RA\Console\cfgedit.exe

I believe the first one installed with the LAN edition of the AV package which I also upgraded to 2.70.25

At any rate if you search search your drive for cfgedit.exe my guess is you will find multiple files.

Personally I would just copy the new version over the old.... but that is your choice.

8. EvilDave UK

The issue has been escalated to my distributor who have passed their findings on to ESET.

What seems to be happening is when XMON is installed, it installed the old version of the Config Editor into "C:\Program Files\ESET". However when the Console installs, there are now two versions of the Config Editor. From what I can see, the Console isn't upgrading the original Config Editor and the Console isn't pointing at the Config Editor it came with (why?); instead the Console is looking at the Config Editor in the ESET folder and there's no options to change this.

9. EvilDave UK

After some extra troubleshooting, I've found a fix that allows the Console to use the correct Config Editor without doing any dramatic changes.

Simply navigate your way into the ESET folder and either delete, move or rename the "cfgedit.exe" file while you have the Console closed. Then, reopen the Console, create a new config and it should now be using the correct version.

For some reason the Config Editor that comes with XMON 2.5 (the old editor) is taking priority over the one that comes with RAC 1.0.14. This fix has also been relayed over to my distributor and ESET and it's worth doing if you are having the same problem. I'm guessing anyone who uses XMON 2.5 will be having this problem, but it could possibly be others too.

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

Just checked this on my SBS 2K3 box at home running the SBS Bundle...as I did the upgrade path on it for the new RAS (installed latest over the top).

Same symptoms here as you showed above.

11. EvilDave UK

Have you tried the fix suggested in Post 9?

12. YeOldeStonecat

Yah..I guess by default there's the cfgedit.exe in the C:\Program Files\Eset directory. 344KB in size. I renamed that to cfgedit.bak.

I launched the RAC again..went to tools...config editor, and the new one was being used. I noticed there's a cfgedit.exe in the C:\Program Files\Eset\RA\Console directory..that's 356KB in size. I'd have expected that one to be the one the RAC used anyways..since it's a component of RAC.

Good find! This will probably bump up the ==> 2.7 automatic update well into next summer...lol.

13. EvilDave UK

Well from what I've been told, ESET developers are currently completely focused on Version 3.0 so at the moment it's doubtfull an update will be released as there's a workaround and a fix as well (the one I mentioned).

Version 3.0 is apparently due for around March/April 2007. :thumb:

14. Mohsin

Mohsin Registered Member

i am a new memeber here and would like to know from where to download this nod32 configuration editor?

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In order to have Configuration editor , you need a multi-user license for NOD32 (included in NOD32 LanUpdate edition) or NOD32 Enterprise edition , it is not for single editions .
    If you have them , visit ESET's download section for registered clients
    http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

16. YeOldeStonecat

<===not holding breath for sub Q3 '07

17. EvilDave UK

Hehe, true. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.