New Computer

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Hi,I just bought a new PC .My hard drive failed and instead of buying a new drive I bought a new PC for the new year, lol.It is UBUNTU 12.04 LTS certified DELL Optiplex 390 MT.This computer does not have any operating systems on it,only free DOS.I had installed Ubuntu near an existing Windows but have never installed it as the only system.Should I manually make partitions or if I choose to install it ,is it going to make its own partition table and swap area?

The RAM is 8 GB so I am going to install the 64 bit version.Thanks in advance.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can do it either way, whichever you prefer. If you don't manually do it, Ubuntu will do it for you automatically....

3. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Yup, agree with Kerodo. And if you decide you want to change the partition table later, it's extremely easy with an Ubuntu live cd using gparted.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

during installation in advance option you can create partitions as requirment

5. cet

cet Registered Member

I installed Ubuntu as the only operating system and chose to erase and install as 1 partition and it is working like a charm :) During installlation I deleted 2 partitions FAT16 and Fat 32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.