New Computer With Pre-Installed Windows 7?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If you've purchased a new computer with the shiny new Windows 7 already installed, you've noticed Win7 comes with its own crapware and trials that you probably don't want. Add those to the manufacturers crapware and, well, you get the idea. Here's a great little article on replacing those apps with FREE applications. Makes things much lighter on the wallet!
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/23/win7-preinstall-software-remove-bloatware-speed-up-faster/

Here's a bonus post from Download Squad loaded with Win7 tips, tricks, etc.
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/windows-7-hacks-tips-downloads-themes-roundup/

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Depends on where you buy them. Where I buy machines, there is no crapware installed.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

these links will be helpful for wen i get a new laptop, but wen it comes to desktops, i always build my own so no crapware :D

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Same here, a self built desktop pc has many more benefits IMO.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Although I've never used it, I was told of a program called The PC Decrapifier, which is supposed to remove some of the pre-installed stuff that comes with new computers bought from high street retailers. The latest version works with Windows 7.

6. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The best way to get rid of crapware is to do a clean install. OEM activations can be backed up, so licensing and activation shouldn't be an issue on systems with OEM versions of Windows.

7. firzen771

didnt know this, nice tip. how exactly do u backup the license?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I just made sure my laptop came with a windows disc and then repartitioned the hard drive to my needs and reinstalled windows to get rid of the trial crap.
    in other words avoid acer and toshiba since they make you burn the recovery discs which i assume contain the crap trialware.

9. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Several things.

1. will the program run on Vista and XP PRO?

2. I get scared when I hear the word GEEK. It's used on the site listed.

3. If it deletes things without asking my permission, it goes in the garbage.

4. Does it give a summary at the end stating what it deleted?

I won't dare run this program without doing a full backup.
    Then if I don't like the results I'm safe.

10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I know it is very nice. However, it also makes it easier for pirates to activate their copies permanently without tampering with the OS. SLP keys are used to activate machines en masse, so Microsoft can't just block them because they will be locking out thousands of users.

Google "Activation Backup and Restore" for more information.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

When I ordered my last computer from the DELL site, they asked me if I wanted an AV installled. I clicked no. With the exception of a few apps, all the rest were electives that I bought when I ordered. Upon delivery, I only had to uninstall a few pieces of crap. No big deal. On the other hand if you buy an HP for instance, off the shelf, it is loaded with introductory apps that might take days to get rid of. In that case, the Crapifier app etc. might be called for. So, I guess the thing to do is order your computer ala carte.

12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

My experience is that if you buy an expensive high end model of Dell, HP etc. you do not get many pre-installed crapwares. These crapwares are usually installed on low end cheaply priced models. If you see a Desktop and Laptop with a deal that is too good to be true, expect it to be loaded with crapwares and other nonsense softwares to make up for the low price tag.

In Jan 2008, I ordered a Dell XPS M1530 Laptop and it had virtually no crapwares on it, just a few OEM softwares that were easy to uninstall. But the system cost $1500.

13. firzen771

ah i see, thx.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Other software makers subsidize the price of a PC and you get some unwanted software with the computer. That easily removed and you can configure it in no time. So I don't see it as a big worry. I'm not buying a new PC because there is no compelling reason to upgrade the hardware at this point.

15. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

This makes it sound like Windows 7 itself has some bloat-trial ware. I don't see anything in the article about operating system bloat-trial ware, only stuff that the manufacturer/vendor puts on the systems.

As mentioned above, it depends on the vendor (brand of PC) that you're getting, as well as which models you're getting, and what you selected.

Generally, the cheaper the computer, the more trialware you'll get.
    Kick up a level to more business grade models, and you'll find less trialware. The PCs I order for my clients from HP or Dell are fairly specific business models which arrive quite lean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.