new computer, want to keep it pristine

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by screamer, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes indeed, a frozen state will be annoying enough for her and two pains at the same time is too much.

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I guess it would be easiest if Returnil was the last app installed?

When I turn the box over to my daughter I need to replace NOD32 w/ Avira and OutPost Pro w/ Comodo.

...screamer

3. ErikAlbert

I would install Returnil as last software, although it doesn't matter as long you install with Returnil = UNfrozen.
    After all you will install new softwares in the future and then Returnil will be installed already.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know this is probably not what you're looking for, but one real solution is Linux. Pretty much nothing can happen on a Linux box as far as malware, spyware or viruses go... something to ponder perhaps...

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not at all a solution. Read what OP is doing. This is not a computer geek, but a young college age girl. Simple is what is needed, but not linux.

6. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I would suggest a good AV and an antispyware app. Maybe MVPS host files. If possible a local or online backup app, if things go wrong. Too much Sandboxing and virutalization may cause the PC to slow.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Perhaps not the best solution, but many Linux distros nowadays are approaching the point where they are extremely simple to use out of the box, no geek required. Granted, adding programs and doing other tasks would not be as straightforward as Win. So I would have to agree in this case I guess...

Bottom line is: There is no substitute for a little user education...

8. Peter2150

You obviously have never had a teen daughter.:D :D :D

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hahaha... Good one.. Yes, you are correct... :D

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Good on you Kerodo. :D

Even though others disagree. I agree.

11. ErikAlbert

Quite a few contradictions here.
    One says not too much sandboxing and virtualization, another one recommends sandboxing and virtualization. One Windows, another one Linux.
    Poor daughter, who has to work with all that stuff.

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is she permitted to install programs?

-rich

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That gives me the thought that perhaps an LUA might be the way to go....

14. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I think this would work for you. http://www.horizondatasys.com/231846.ihtml

Drive Vaccine PC Restore Plus...
    Advanced System Restore Software.

"Accomodate Windows OS And Anti-Virus Updates - Drive Vaccine (Plus Edition) can be configured to easily accommodate Windows Critical OS and Anti-virus definition updates right out of the box. No complex batch files, scripting, or scheduling PC downtimes. Drive Vaccine (Plus Edition) simplifies the process of maintaining updated security patches and virus definitions.

Persistent Storage Space (Immune area) - Administrators, can create an immune folder space in order to save files for permanent storage (Plus Edition). This enables computer users to save files and folders for permanent storage, keeping them exempt from the restoration process.
    "

EDIT: And yes schools use this.

Thanks,

Chris

15. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

..... Hahahahaha :D This folder's contents should be recommended to S. Spielberg or Monty Python and made into a movie!

:thumb: :eek:

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I would suggest ReturnIl for protecting the OS and Mojopac freedom on the secondary partition.

This will keep her safe and will give her the necessary freedom to test software, install games, etc. ;)

Panagiotis

17. screamer

This sound like just what the doctor ordered. Just D/L'd a trial, I'll give it a whirl and report back

thanks,

...screamer

18. Chris12923

Looking forward to your results. Mine were good. If I didn't need snapshot software I would be using it.

Thanks,

Chris

19. Arup

Arup Guest

If you install Linux OS like PCLOS, Ubuntu or SuSE, there is no way she can botch it up, and Ubuntu updates on its own so you won't have to do any sort of maintenance, no need for AV, reg cleaners, defraggers etc. and no chance of system file being damaged so its basically a good strategy for novices.

20. screamer

Chris, I installed, but needed to un-install. "immune folders" were not present nor were any settings to make folder immuneo_O Said option would be available May 07. I don't see it.

...screamer

21. Peter2150

And of course if she is in college and is required to run Microsoft Word she will be able to do that?? Plus some schools require an AV just to get on the net. Linux is not yet the ultimate solution for everyone.

22. screamer

I'm not familiar w/ Lunix, so if she runs into trouble it'll be a long time for a fix. Search, search, search...

It's outa the question, I need to stick w/ Windows. Her professors post the work in Word .docs.

...screamer

23. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Avast Pro and Home have IM scanning capabilities. You can use this for her IMing.

24. Chris12923

I'll get you an answer quick on this one and I'll let you know. Sorry I didn't see that part. They are usually very good at getting back to me quick so just hang in there..

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  25. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

In an effort to not make you explode completely, this is the 'potted' version of what I do in the same circumstance :) :

Image the drive as it is.

Create a second partition on your C drive for the data (if the drive is big enough, create a third one for backup images and yes, this can be done with existing data already on the drive).

For simplicity, use Folder Mover to move your desktop and My Documents etc to the data drive.

Install an AV and firewall to the data drive so that it can be kept updated.

Defrag the C drive.

Take another image.

Install Rollback RX and set it up to:
    ....only protect the C drive
    ....do a restore at reboot to the current snapshot
    ....go into stealth mode as required
    ....not to automatically take any snapshots
    ....not to automatically do anything else at all

You will then have a system which will have a system drive which cleans itself on rebooting. System changes can be kept by simply taking a new snapshot (just takes a few seconds) but if the changes prove to be bad you can still revert to the previous snapshot.

The My Documents data and Desktop will stay current as they are on the data drive. If you don't want your daughter to make snapshots then you can password protect and/or hide completely the Rollback interface but even if you do allow her to take snapshots, you still have the option of restoring back to a previous snapshot if you don't like the changes.

I use this system on my home pc's and it works for me as it is pretty much transparent to whoever uses the system but is very flexible if I want to make changes.

For backing up and for simplicity, I would be inclined to use the built in imaging in Rollback which can be used to image any partition even if it is not protecting it. It will currently only restore a single snapshot but that is probably good enough with this setup in the event of disaster recovery.

For speed, it is handy to have a third partition to store backups but make sure you have a seperate backup on a second or external drive in any event.

Documents can be backed up as frequently as required to a pen drive using any number of backup applications.

Graham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.