New computer question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Was wondering about this.

I have bought a new computer here are the specs :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Nvidia Leadtek 8800 GTX
    Geil DDR 2 Ultra Dual Channel Kit
    Asus P5B motherboard

and i am gonna get the tower, A sata 500Gb hard drive, 800Watts power supply.

I would like to know should i start with vista already with this new computer? or should i carry on with Windows Xp?

Is Vista becoming more comaptible now and more stable with less problems or still not?

And if its Vista which verson would u recomend either Ultimate 32bit or Ultimate 64bit?

What would u ppl recomend?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Best answer I can give you is what I did. Last machine I bought was even a bit higher end, and I purposely ordered back in december when I wasn't sure there would still be an XP option. It all depends on what you are running, but I've loaded vista on my machine, and half my stuff won't run. Plus I had to upgrade sound card drivers, and the new ones under vista just plain are lousy.

Pete

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

800 watt PSU, wow. NOT! IF it's a POS PSU it could be 1,000watts & still destroy your computer. Choose a good brand PSU.

4. chaos16

So i should just install windows Xp pro for the time being and when Vista is better i should upgrade :)

thanks

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That would be my suggestion. Wait until at least SP1 for Vista. Then wait a little longer to see what is being said online (here at WSF) to see if SP1 has stabilized Vista at all.

6. chaos16

thanks.

BTW what were u saying about the 800 watts that its not good enough?

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Vista seems fine to me; I say go for it. Get the 32-bit version though as theres still not much for x64.

As for the 800 watts it should more than enough, but get a good brand like PC Power and Cooling or OCZ. Actually maybe teh Corsair HX620W would be enough.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Windows XP, I read about people who migrate to windows Vista find too many headaches, then go back to Windows XP. The idea of going to a new Windows OS is strong, but once there....it is a different story. o_O

9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

800 watts is plenty. But it is a little tricky when it comes to PSU's. The brand will matter a lot more than the output. If you have a PSU from a reputed manufacturer like ENermax, OCZ, Thermaltake, you will will be fine. Cheap stuff like Raidmax, ultra, etc... will probably not be able to handle a GTX and a load of drives.

I would run XP and VIsta. It is worth the time to discover and familiarize yourself with Vista's stuff so that by the time the OS partially matures, you can migrate to it a little easier. Besides, with all that hardware, you probably will wanna hop on the Crysis bandwagon soon, if they don't hack DX10 for XP.

10. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

As always, your mileage may vary from what everyone is saying, so go ahead and try running both XP and Vista.

Assuming you have licenses for both, run both (dual-boot). If you want to run both XP and Vista together, you need to install XP first. Then when you install Vista, it will ask if you want to dual boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.