New Comodo Internet Security beta is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by clocks, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

It's running smooth with a little higher ram footprint (1-2megs). I guess the extra stuff in it, memory firewall, AV heuristics and Threatcast are taking some memory but still very low at around 9meg total.

Ice

2. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thank you Kronos. It's too small to read (maybe you took the wrong imageshack link. The "direct" one should be better), but i get the idea that now they have horizontal bars telling the community decisions.

4. _kronos_

sorry, post edited:p

Regards

5. Fuzzfas

Thank you again. Do you happen to know if Threatcast uses a database downloaded on the user's PC or each time connects to Comodo to use their online database?

6. _kronos_

Honestly I don't know, but I suppose this feature is a sort CIPS, so it requires an active internet connection to compare files to an online database...

However I've installed it two hours ago, so I'm not sure of this...:D

Regards

EDIT:
    Obviously Threatcast is referred only to hips/firewall popups, so it's independent from CAVs, that can be disabled/not installed...
    During installation, after the choose to do/not add CAV, it offers the opportunity to "Join the Threatcast Community"... here you can check/uncheck the option...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  7. jrjroberk

jrjroberk Registered Member

-What about adding BOClean in CIS?

a) Does anyone know why they did NOT add it?

b) Are there any plans for adding BOClean
    in the future CIS releases?

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

According to melih they are just testing the emulator, and CIMA based heuristics will be in next version.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah i've read it. But i hope we'll have an option to turn off packer detection.
    I hate it if AV detects something as Heur.Pck.Armadillo just because some program is packed using Armadillo protection system.
    As an long year avast! user i really appreciate their determination not to detect packers as malware itself. There are some exceptions but they try to avoid them if possible. So i hope Comodo guys will do the same and give us the option to disable it easily. And if possible i'd also like to see option to enable/disable CIMA based engine when it'll be implemented.
    I really liked this part in NOD32 where AH could be enabled or disabled.

10. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Does anybody know how good the AV is in CIS, if its any good maybe I will give it a try, if now....oh well.

11. _kronos_

I'm a comodo fan, but I'm honest saying that Av is too young...personally I've turned off the CAV, but I recognize that it's improving day after day (talking about database and heuristic)...

After all good job Comodo!

I'm very satisfied of their product;)

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes Boclean will be added to the next upgraded version (4?).

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Initially I thought it may be a little heavier also, but now I don't know. Using process explorer, often it is 7-8meg, while the last version was usually 9-12. I would say this beta has a wider range.

14. Fuzzfas

I would be more concerned about CPU usage in the future. Many modules are being added. Anyway, we will see... In the worst scenario, one can stick the the .439 version of the firewall for quite some time.

15. Astech

Astech Registered Member

That is good to hear, we can't expect a product to be fabulous from the begging, in time they should be able to put all the things together and make one good product:thumb:

16. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I'm running the beta as I type this. My computer has a P4 630 (3.0 ghz) and 2.5 gig of ram; it is a very basic machine by today's standards.

Boot time is very good and I have no perceptible delay in log-on and surfing speed vs. Avast Home Edition and Comodo firewall 3.5 only.
    My speed from boot to shut-down is definately faster than with the new Online Armor and any AV.

I'm using ThreatCast and like it so far. It isn't very intrusive but at first, you will (as expected) be prompted before certain programs/processes run.
    I can live with that. It's absolutely less of a PITA than Vista's UAC.

I have set the antivirus heuristics to high and after training the AV component to ignore four programs that triggered false positives, everything ran smooth as silk.

I'm becoming more convinced by the day that CIS will be a real winner !
    When BoClean is fully integrated, CIS will give the subscription security suites very serious competition.
    If CIS continues to improve and stays free, it will be a top contender for software product of the year.

Well done (so far), Comodo ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

17. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

For that question is far more better to visit comodo forum and inform yourself there. Maybe will leak some info about that.

http://forums.comodo.com/

18. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

BOclean will be added quite soon,I'm guessing first half of this year by the look of it.It'll be a completely different version than the current resource hog thankfully.

19. _kronos_

well, supporting what I've just said about Comodo, here is a couple of interessant link...

1. CIS have just exceeded over 1 million signatures for the AV:
    https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackc...1_million_signatures_for_the_av-t33264.0.html

...when Kaspersky, for example, has 1.641.468 records in their database.

2. Here is a small malwares comparative, made with 565.400 samples (so I think it's believable):
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/?page_id=2

...and CIS scored 90-91,4 % (considering that the version tested is 3.5.57173.439, released on 3rd December, further improvements wasn't tested, as the new imminent heuristic module or a lot of DB records)

however we'll see:p :D

20. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Well looks like Comodo is adding more signatures and with heuristics they should improve, but until the final product is out we can only speculate.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what i will say is this is one of the most stable beta release products ive ever used, i havent experienced a single bug since i started using it like a week ago maybe. the added features they put in work perfectly fine to.

22. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Wonder when they'll submit their AV for independent testing then?
    Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives?

Will be good to see how far its come on.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  23. _kronos_

Obviously CIS, nowadays, is not comparable to other products like Avira, Eset or Kaspersky (for the AV component)...We have to wait a lot... I don't think that, after the first three months from the public stable release(23 October), Nod and Avira were able to detect malware as they do it now, or to exceed over 1 million signatures...

Considering this, we have only to be reliant about this software future: we are talking about a security suite that is completely free and that is having an incredible, uninterrupted, development.
    And the results that it's reaching are very confortable...

However, time'll see...

This is my opinion;)

24. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I agree with _kronos_ : once, when the only defense programs were av and fw, I had waited a bit for Comodo av growing. But today the security is a complex system, the HIPS is an essential element of the defense, may be the most important, and we have BB softwares, programs sandboxing and virtualising... so we can test Comodo av alone many worries.

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.