New Comodo firewall coming later today

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cheater87, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donsan

donsan Registered Member

well comdo didn't last long for me after the long wait of getting this new download comodo is causing my computer to freeze up i had to uninstall it.Went back to kerio and problem solved.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

If I uninstall the older version and install the new one from the site will my settings still be there?

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

If your older version is a Beta or RC version it will have to be uninstalled before you can install the new version. Otherwise, you may be able to update and preserve your settings.

Fwiw, the new version is working fine here!

4. cheater87

I'll just wait till the servers calm down and DL it later today

5. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

It's working fine here, cpf.exe=13,828kb,cmdagent.exe=4,576
    I selected expert mode when I installed CPF, and then made the rules and the alert frecuency to the top, and it's going like a car on a highway, and no pop ups, no one!!! (maybe for selecting expert mode and the making of the rules).

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Finally I got it, the servers has been overloaded ever since the release.
    I uninstalled the beta and installed the final, no problems.
    I chose to rebuild all the rules instead of backing them up before uninstall of the beta.
    I have started all my software I use (including uTorrent) and let Comodo ask the questions and all is fine, didnt have to do any manual rules :thumb:
    Its fast and once the rules are there Comodo is set and forget.
    Personally I dont care for memory usage, as far as I am concerned it could take +100Mb as long as it works as good as it does with the 31Mb it does claim now.

I hope the OLE/COM thing is fixed, but I can live with it even if it isnt, it never gave that many unnecessary popups anyway imo. And there is of course the option to turn it off.

All I need now is one sample of the very elusive thing called malware so I´ll know that Comodo does its job.

7. guest

guest Guest

8. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I've just tryed the latest 2.4.
    100 % CPU constantly.:mad:
    Unusable PC.:eek:
    Not for me.:thumbd:

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I know of an instance where this v2.4 update came through and installed, re-booted to find the entire Comodo security disabled, and no way to activate the different securities. A complete uninstall was required, re-boot, and then download of the v2.4 installer followed by an install and another re-boot.

The resources usage has decreased a bit, however COMODO had been refreshed on the system so I cannot really say for certain.

10. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I downloaded the new version and tried installing over 2.3, but it required an uninstall, reboot, install of 2.4, then another reboot. New version is working fine here. I am using it along with Avast and it makes a very nice setup IMO. If you need to keep all of your settings, you might wait for the update server to work as it seems to be overloaded as the new version rolls out.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think those folks who haven't been able to update yet should be patient and wait for the Comodo servers to catch up. I can't even access the forum to see a reply of someones post. I think that Comodos popularity has caught them a little short of servers IMO. I wouldn't start tweeking your computers trying to get a work around to the upgrade, just sit tight. If it was me, and I just couldn't wait another day, I would have gotten up about 5AM and gave it a try. But geez it's only an upgrade. :D

12. cheater87

I woke up and the update said it was available. Downloaded and updated it and everything is green.

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My computer said the update was there but nothing happened. I have tried a couple of different download sites but still no luck. It is just a mess right now.

14. cheater87

Sometimes the update thing goes away but its still updating. After I hit update it went away and i waited for it to finish. I went and ate a bowl of cereal and when I came back it was don and all I had to do was reboot and it was good to go.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What sized bowl of cereal? :D

16. cheater87

Haha a small one wasn't feeling that hungry so the update was rather fast

17. seething

seething Registered Member

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm not up on how much RAM a firewall should be using to be acceptable. Is 40mb alot? I've installed other type apps and if it was only 40mb I'd be happy. I have a GB of RAM, so 40 mb can't hurt me. I can understand someone with 265mb of RAM being concerned. I assume when you refer to mem you mean RAM. :doubt:

19. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Cripe, I still can't get the download anyway I try.

20. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I had to remove the old version ,then download the 2.4. It was slooow. I'm on DSL and it was 4 to 11 kbs download speed. But at least I have got it.

21. RAV

RAV Registered Member

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I downloaded from filehippo, and installed, didnt like the previous versions,but this seems to run rather smooth,and my browsing is fast, unlike with Outpost. I just checked Windows Task Manager and I see :
    cmdagent.exe 11,340k
    cpf.exe 14,760k

Total 26,100k :) thats 22,225k less than Outpost, I cant seem to find how to block Browser Referers, pcflank says it doesnt block them, anyone know how? other than that I'll stick with this a while :)

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I concur and applaud your confidence too. LoL

I been thru all sorts of Zone Alarm releases years ago and simply finally grew tired of a software program that bit hard on my config. On a simple suggestion by one of the Wilder's members here named Herbalist i turned to Kerio 2.15. That was when my only O/S was 98SE for pity's sake, and now with XP Pro still have never looked back!

I really tried to wean myself from Kerio once when i tried Jetico, but unfortunately it made some issues that affected my internet connection & that is exactly the same reason i finally dropped ZA. That ridiculous True Vector service they call it would without warning cut my internet leaving only curiosity as to why or what happened? Got involved in forum discussion and related issues with ZA but even with new releases no joy :doubt:

That is untill installing this pitifully small & lightweight KERIO firewall which turned out to be a Lion in disquise :)
    It has for me in the past intercepted "outgoing transmissions" from a few dropped malware files that had manged to evade AVG at the time & that pretty much secured my confidence in it.

I have been turning an ear and eye lately to discussions here at Wilder's & Comodo Forums with some interest in it, but unless i can read a substantial amount of satisfied posts and they clear up any present bugs, only then i think i would give it a try.

24. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Even with System Safety Monitor disabled from protecting Comodo, none of the Advanced Process Termination tests were able to terminate it, including the aggressive "Multi Kill" test. Impressive.

It was using ~26 MB memory on my machine and running very stable. Once again, some people place way too much emphasis on mem usage. It seemed very stable for the few hours last night that I tried it (installed on an XP image of a clean install). The browsing speeds with this version were amongst the fastest I had seen from any of the numerous firewalls I have trialed over the years. Also impressive.

What bothers me is the lack of some very standard and fundamental features such as straightforward saving/importing of configuration settings, autoblocking of network access after a predetermined time, and there is still no easy way of configuring rules on the fly from the alerts it generates, especially for those, such as myself, who like to have the "Alert frequency level" set to "Very high". The logging is still, sadly, quite rudimentary.

The important thing is it is rock-solid in its ability to provide first-rate security, if it is set up right.

Overall, it is still a significant improvement over their previous full release, and if they can add some more fundamental features to it, it will be tough to beat.

25. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Yay, I finally got it! I waited for nothing; the only change I can see is the icon on the system tray changes to little green or red arrows when there is network traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.