NEW CCLEANER: great freeware with small flaw

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cortez, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

The numbers have never added up in any of my many downloaded versions of CCLEANER. The to-be cleaned number is always larger than the actual number.

Is this a peculiarity of my set up or is it a small flaw?

Attached Files:

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

May relate to the size of the index.dat files as I think they need a reboot to be deleted?

Or maybe you could ask over at CCleaner's Forum.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Don't worry, not a bug, you just need to look a little closer...

Some of the files were not deleted as they were in use.

They have been marked for deletion which happens on reboot, you can see in the log :)

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

CCleaner is good as a standard cleaner, but the application cleaning is restricted to a small number of popular applications.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

6. ErikAlbert

That will help, but still not good enough.
    I couldn't find "DVD Shrink", so this application isn't cleaned and there are so many other applications world-wide, which aren't even listed. :)

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You can add custom files/folders manually such as Sandboxie's storage folder and I add the .dbx files which are OE's storage folders for messages.
    Noname.jpg

8. ErikAlbert

That also helps. R-Wipe & Clean provides a similar solution, called Wipe Lists.
    That approach requires research and work. You can't delete objects without knowing exactly which objects (full path + full name) and where are these objects ?
    You also have to know if they are safe to delete or not and is it really complete ? You really have to study each software to know all this.
    I wasn't happy with this approach, so I stopped using White Lists in R-Wipe.
    Too much research, too much work, too dangerous and maybe not complete. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

My vote goes to ATF cleaner,extremely fast and without discussions. ;)

10. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

That happened to me once,

for me what was happening was it would find a lot of temp files but then Ccleaner wouldn't remove them so I had to uncheck the wait 48 hour option eventually to get rid of them,

and it would only find them during the first analyze not the second,

kind of like by analyzing it would reset the time it was last used and then had to wait another 48 hours,

but it only happened once and I still use Ccleaner.

11. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

@cortz:

Check your CCLEARNER settings first as there are a few crucial ones as posted by others. Then reboot, this does it for me most times. Now that I think about it, when anything goes astray with an app. reboot!!! (on some apps. it may take more than one reboot to set things straight--Disk Director comes to mind here).

Your number jibing problem is why I also run a commercial heavy duty cleaner(--- which actually deletes and not just marks as rewritable---) what one app. misses the other takes up the slack. This also is a great help speed wise when defragging.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Or after you hac run CCleaner you could just run a disk scrubber like eraser ;) if you are that paranoid about your old data (I would rather run drive encryption :ninja: ).

I can't see how it will help with defragging o_O .

The NTFS driver (which btw the defrag API uses) does not care if old data in the blocks or not, as long as it is MARKED as empty, it writes new data to the blocks in same way regardless of what was there before, and this for normal file writing and defragging.

Nick, loving your Jessica Rabbit avatar :p :-* :argh: *puppy* :D .

13. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

Your explanation makes sense.

There are many users who hold that XP can accidentally read marked as rewritable files and that this slows it down in certain situations--perhaps this is only attributing the slow behavior to a nebulous concept.

I defragg in safe mode and it is fast. Perhaps I imagine a faster defragg due to cleaning as a "placebo" type phenomena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.