New build of NIS 2008 Beta released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Symantec released a new build yesterday but I didn't have time to install it until this evening.

Installation was much better this time (last time it took 3 attempts) and Vista's SecCenter now sees NIS (it didn't last time). I didn't notice it last time but configuring NIS doesn't trigger UAC anymore. Since NIS has it's own protection option this was kind of redundant anyway. While I haven't noticed much difference in bootup time, shutdown is definitely faster. Overall operation is faster than '07 as well. It appears that they have learned their lesson from the Bloat Years (or at least I hope so) and work on performance as well as protection.

Visually, they have made a couple of minor changes since the last time I tried it. They have added a "Leave Feedback" link next to the "Help and Support" at the upper right hand corner of the window. On the lower left they have replaced "Symantec" with "Norton" and below it "from symantec".

Only problem so far is that I cannot setup Identity Safe. Something screwed up during the config process and it will not take my password I made for it so I cannot configure it. Back when I used Trend Micro it had similar protection but I never did use it anyway.

Otherwise a nice build. I read somewhere that the final will be released within 2 months. I can't wait for it :)

2. BG

BG Registered Member

Thanks for the post Mitch. I tryed the last beta 2008 for awhile and really liked the performance. Seemed a bit snappier then 2007. I also can't wait for the final. :D

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Clap for norton :thumb: .

Hope they keep it this way so having norton 2008 shipped on every computer will make people happy and not make the first thing to delete it :D.

4. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Dont know if anyone has noticed - the footprint of 2007 was smaller, 2008 is even smaller. There are now 2 processes instead of 3.

5. midway40

I forgot to mention that installing this build starts the 30 day trial all over again which is good. If they keep releasing new builds I can test it all the way up to final, lol.

My task manager identified three Symantec processes, one for LiveUpdate and two instances of another process (I am at work and I can't remember the name of this process).

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hello Mitch

Sorry for being off topic, what happened to your F-Secure? it's been a while since :)

7. midway40

Hey Mac, I had no problem with F-Secure. They didn't release the Vista version until May 31st while all the other major AV companies had released their versions soon after Vista's release (at least by the end of Feb). I was trying out the FS Tech Preview but it did not have a firewall at that time. Then I started noticing where others here had been talking how much better Norton was so I decided to try it though it had a bad past with me. I liked what I saw and purchased it 3 days into the 15 day trial.

If F-Secure had released their Vista version sooner I would probably be still with it.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Oh I see, thought that you ran into trouble with F.

Thanks for your reply Mitch.

9. midway40

No problem :)

There is still a place in my heart for the "F". I still like to read F-Secure's weblog which is informative and at times amusing (those crazy Finnish people :D ). Only one minor annoyance I had with FS was it's slow scanning of email.

Let me put it in this way, if Norton ever lets me down it won't take long until the "F" is back on this computer :D

10. midway40

11. midway40

Just an update. I was just over on the NIS Beta forum and someone had asked when '08 will be released. A Mod replied:

"We hope to release by this month end !"

:)

12. BG

BG Registered Member

Cool beans!

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

wow,this month-end.............man that will be great..............:cool: :cool:

any news on what mcafee is uptoo_O?

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

That really is great news... Thanks for sharing it!

15. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Well, it makes me wonder what the year means anymore... 2008 in August 2007...

16. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Isn't it the same way with cars?

17. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Great looking and feeling product. It's going towards a nice and very simple program with very good protection. Never liked Norton for the 'Size', but this is really looking great. Easy install, fast update, very good 'out of the box' configuration all the configuration options one needs! Runs nice and light!

A big winner for me! :thumb:

18. midway40

Funny you should say that as I work at an automobile dealership. We are starting to receive the 2008 model brochures, lol.

One little setback, now Vista does not see NIS and says I do not have an AV or firewall installed. This did work after first installation but during one of the reboots afterwards it quit seeing it (I had my "red shield" hidden so I am not sure when this occured). Resetting WMI had no effect.

I also noticed that on the Instant Messinging Protection that it does not see my Yahoo but I noticed that it only supports 5.0-6.1 and the latest is 8.1.

So I have three bugs so far along with the Identity Safe non-configure problem. I have submitted bug reports to Symantec.

If '08 is released later this month I should have around 240 days left on my '07 subscription to use for it :)

19. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

same here for me,mine finishing in march next yr.......

20. controler

controler Guest

It appears the mod's at the Norton beta are not around on the weekends.

The first build before this one I had the won't update problem.
    Now I have the Trial period expired problem and am using XP.

I have cleaned every entry from the REG before reinstalling this beta and it still stops working afrer a day or two.

I am guessing more then a month till release.

21. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

THe LiveUpdate one is temporary and should go away at some point. The remaining two running at all times appear to be two copies of ccSvcHst.exe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.