New Bugs in ess v621

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by proactivelover, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

1.Display notifications bug
    when you uncheck Display notifications window
    it does save in setting

Attached Files:

• ess.jpg
      ess.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
    • ess2.jpg
      ess2.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  2. proactivelover

2.blocked attacks bug
    first time it show 95 virus detect
    when virus detected it shows 99
    when delete or clean virus it shows 100

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
  3. proactivelover

selected profile bug
    select my profile and click ok
    after that click profie again it shows in-depth scan

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  4. proactivelover

no sound signal
    what sound signal run
    when a virus detected it show only thread window no any sound comes

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  5. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Another bug.
    When you right-click on shortcut (to file or folder) and select "Scan by ESET..." nothing happens. I can see this behaviour only on shortcuts. Anyone else??
    Also, sometimes gui works strange. Sometimes text from gui just disappears, when I refresh the window it appears again.. (this happens especially during scan)..

But I have to admit that this new version runs much faster on my system than the previous one.

6. JB2007

JB2007 Registered Member

Bugs in version 621 make Outlook Express unusable

:thumbd:

Version 621 has definitely NOT fixed the Outlook Express bugs. (WinXP Pro SP2 + IE6 + ESET SmartSecurity V621).

For example, I have just had to uninstall V621 in order to join this forum. To join this forum you have to click on a forum registration email. With V621 installed, OE downloads emails OK but will not allow them to be viewed. Clicking on any folder within OE causes OE to hang. Task manager shows msimn.exe hanging (99% CPU usage). Terminating msimn.exe causes OE to close, restoring normal operation. Webmail was not an option to view the registration email because OE had already downloaded it.

In addition, exception messages are displayed when OE is run, with messages sent to Microsoft.

Version 566 did something similar. One difference is that V621 occasionally causes OE to disappear immediately after OE is run.

Prior to ESET SS I had Kaspersky installed and with that OE worked fine.

The problems are slightly different with antispam enabled or disabled, but in either state it is impossible to view emails in the OE folders.

Uninstalling ESET SS restores correct operation.

I have also tried NOD32 V621 and the exact same problems exist, including OE hanging when viewing emails in OE folders, and OE disappearing immediately after OE is run.

I am anxious to get this fixed because I have no alternative. In my experience, NOD32 or SmartSecurity are the only antivirus products which are fast enough to use on development machines where compilers are using thousands of files for each compile. All other products render the machine so slow that it is mandatory to switch off the file checking.

To development team: Please address this issue asap! Please post this message to your development team as a bug report.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

8. proactivelover

anyone please confirm my bugs

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hmm , cannot confirm reports 2 and 3

4 - known issue
    1 - I don't understand what you mean

About 2 - I tried it in both No cleaning and Strict cleaning modes . Works fine .

3 - just works normally . It remembers my choice

By the way , I use EAV , not ESS , but I doubt there is any difference in these

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Tried Fosius #5 , it works here

Attached Files:

11. tonyblair

tonyblair Registered Member

I can (sort of) confirm the shortcut bug. It scans system shortcuts fine but doesn't do anything on user shortcuts. Actually this may be a bug in Windows (Vista in my case) as WinRAR's context menu won't add user shortcuts (eg. shortcut to D:\Download) to an archive. So this isn't an ESS bug!

I'd also like to add that sometimes the context menu displays "Scan with %PRODUCTNAME%" instead of "Scan with ESS".

12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I can confirm that PRODUCTNAME thing too, other programs don't have this.

13. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Well, I tried it and WinRar's context menu does work even on user shortcuts here.. But I have just tried to scan using context menu with NOD32 2.7 and it does not work too.. strange

14. Adam Kachwalla

Adam Kachwalla Registered Member

Can anyone tell me why the "Graphical User Interface" checkbox is disabled?

Look at the image below from proactivelover and you'll see it (below the "Advanced Mode" checkbox):

[​IMG]

If anyone can tell me why it is disabled (and if it is intentional, why is it there)? It has been disabled since Eset Smart Security/NOD32 v3.0 BETA and that has obviously not changed very much.

I would appreciate if someone can explain this :)

15. loughlini

loughlini Registered Member

When I try to update from 3.0.566 to 3.0.621 the Installer tells me to uninstall Avast Antivirus first ( to avoid problems ). However I don't have Avast installed. I do have Uniblue SpyEraser installed at this time. Could this be a false ident of Avast or is Uniblue/Avast the same product ?

I have raised a ticket with ESS and they are investigating. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Ian

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

same here, it told me to uninstall F-Secure was not installed anymore. I had deleted all files and used ccleaner. It must have picked up a remnant somewhere.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While I have not seen an Eset response to this question in those cases where it was asked, I can offer that it is enabled but without the ability to choose between the "ESET graphics or a standard windows layout" via the GUI.

Bubba

18. como

como Registered Member

I saw this as well when trying to upgrade to 621 over the top of the previous version although I had removed Avast when I bought Nod32 some time ago, a search of my hard drive for Avast only found references to their website, (one in Documents and Settings none in the registry), when I ticked the box and clicked on proceed I eventually got this message as the screen shot below and the install stopped. I then tried to remove the old version from Add/Remove Software in Control Panel and got the same message.
    After a reboot my machine hung and I have had to restore a TI image to get up and running again

Attached Files:

19. loughlini

loughlini Registered Member

Hi Trjam. When you mentioned 'remnants' it got me thinking.

I had previously done a Start/Search to see if ALWIL/Avast or any of its files remained on my PC. None were reported. I then ran Start/Run "Regedit" and searched the registry for ALWIL/Avast. This found a registry key reference. Therefore I must have trialled Avast at some time in the past. I deleted the registry key for ALWIL and Avast, then ran the 3.0.621 installer. It now installed and seems to work OK.

I guess the problem is that when you remove unwanted software it doesn't always delete all registry entries. I saw all kinds of crap in my registry from software that I thought I had deleted ages ago. Its a pity that the various registry cleaners do not identify orphaned software and remove their registry keys!

Anyway the fix was to search for remnants in the registry then delete those keys that point to uninstalled software. Take care: fooling around with the registry can be injurious to your health.

Ian

20. Adam Kachwalla

Sorry! That is exactly what I was trying to say, and I am now wondering whether or not ESET will eventually allow it to be unchecked. I liked using the original GUI (not the ESET one) because it was so much faster and consumed almost 10MB less memory!

21. Adam Kachwalla

Re-install F-Secure and then use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it (go for Advanced Mode when asked by Revo). That will get rid of the reminants.

22. s4u

s4u Registered Member

as Trjam sais it is not installed anymore. I have the same issue. When installing it is asking me to uninstall F-Secure. And I'm definately sure it isn't installed anymore

23. So why is registry key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\F-Secure Gatekeeper" still present in your registry?

Run sysinternals regmon and you will see what registry keys are tested by eset msi installer. Then you must manually find and delete these av specific registry keys if you want to continue with install.

24. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Painel Outbound interface

Attached Files:

25. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Ess and EAV fixed number packages :):cool: :D

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.