** New Beta **: Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yep, noted back in post 17 - they have taken the link down temporarily. I am curious to give this a try on my older desktop...:thumb:

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Can anyone give us the late comers the installers via upload sites plzz?

And ZoneAlarm's system requirements is a lot more compared to others, why?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. gery

gery Registered Member

there is no need to pay for ZA anymore i believe.

4. khanyash

I checked out few screenshots of ZoneAlarm Firewall + Antivirus Paid & this Beta.

It seems behaviour protection is not there.
    Some options in antivirus protection in this beta is not checked like riskware & few others but are checked in the paid one. I dont know if in this beta those options can be checked or are greyed out as I dont have the installer.
    Difference in options selected in settings.

Lets see what the final will bring.

And I hope it turns out to be a good free product & not the very limited version of a paid product.

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I knew its coming because they asked for the survey.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

They still need to sell their products, so I would obviously not expect they put too many features into the free one!! Otherwise they will get many angry paying customers chasing them... already having a free Kaspersky antivirus (without PUP I believe) and an overall good basic firewall is quite a remarkable offer! ;)

7. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

Can you post Somerset Picture from the Scan window of it

Thank you very much for it

8. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

9. khanyash

Well, just now tested the paid FW + AV & didn't find the detection good. Way less compared to even top free AV's.

Does it really uses Kaspersky?

Looking the detection it doesn't seems so.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Did you make sure the database was all the way installed? If I remember correct one Av product only included the limited recent threats and it took a while for the product the download the whole database. I can't put my finger on which product that was but I want to think it was ZA.

I remember reading about it in a magazine that they tested the product before it fully got its database in.

No idea what Kaspersky engine it uses if it still those, you happen to have a log from your test with detection names?

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Just check AV detection naming and compare with kaspersky naming. Or if you have a mininum knowledge of enterprise KAV system files/dll check for those in your PC loaded drivers. ;)

EDIT.. oops I didn't notice you tested the retail version..... YES, of course is KAV, SDK build 8. Equivalent to current engine in kaspersky enterprise products. Run a manual update of the signature... first update may take sometime!

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

They still haven't restored the download link. Maybe someone will share the installer :) By the way how large is the file?

13. David2041

David2041 Registered Member

that was forticlient , i believe

14. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

It's a 4.4 Megs web installer that download around 62 Megs.

15. khanyash

Yes I updated the database & there was a product update too so I had to restart the system. After restart I again checked for updates & it mentioned database & product are up to date.

I just tested with 50 zeroday malware. Where Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo & UnThreat misses 10-15 malware, ZA missed 28 malware. It was an execution test. I did a right click scan & it detected 3 more which it didn't detected in realtime but it mentioned they were not virus but kind of bad softwares.

16. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe posting home-grown test results are against the forum's policy.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Just upload to virustotal to cross check if detection (or non detection) is the same from kaspersky in virustotal. Probably bad lack with the samples.:)

yes, as they really don't say much... since a next batch of files could be giving the opposite results.

Btw, this is a discussion on the new beta and not a discussion threat about retail detection....

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Why would ZA not want PUP detection in the free version? It would seem to me that they would rather have some other feature only available in the paid version (hourly updates, the online storage, scheduled scanning, etc). PUP detection seems to me to be a pretty basic need for any anti-malware product.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks. Hopefully they will put the link up again today. Can't join the party yet :)

20. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, PUP normally are not malware... so no core damaging elements but mostly annoying peace of ****. It would be more damaging removing the heuristics or advance behavior detections. But since its a beta, may be if they get a lot of user feedback about it they may change their mind. More PUPa reports more likely they will listen.:D

21. fax

fax Registered Member

They are currently fixing the beta webpage and download link should be available soon! :thumb:

22. tipo

tipo Registered Member

i would really like to try it out. could someone upload the installer on mediafire or something like that?it`s not illegal, right??it`s free and it`s beta. i just want to give it a spin. thanks in advance! :thumb:

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Actually there's an NDA.

24. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Is confirmed Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus uses Kaspersky signatures? That would be very nice...

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

kas is good engine:thumb:
    ur welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.