** New Beta **: Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Need a little info on Minimal & Full databases.

During install if I choose Minimal database, does it updates to full database after install? And if it updates to full database after install, does it downloads the full database again or the remaining databases only i.e remaining databases excluding Minimal as it is already there?

I guess

Minimal - Includes most prevailing & important, etc signatures.

Full - Includes everything old/new.

Any info on this or anywhere I can read about this?

3. fax

fax Registered Member

You always need the full KAV database. Or you download it during install or you need to download it manually after install (manual update of the KAV signatures).

4. khanyash

Do you mean if I dont download full databases during install, I cannot have the full databases after install through check for updates or autoupdates but I will have to download the databases manually from the website?

or I can get full databases through check for updates or autoupdates?

5. khanyash

The installer has changed & now gives the info about the databases.

I must say they are improving it with each & every step.

Attached is the screenshot

Attached Files:

• za.PNG
      za.PNG
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  6. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, exactly. Manual update (you can do it as many times as you want) or autoupdates.

For testing I would recommend application control to MAX. For normal use its good to set it at AUTO, not to be bored by many pop-ups.

7. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the auto mode really doesnt seem safe. i tried comodo leak test in manual and in auto mode both fail really bad.

8. khanyash

Just an info here -

The installer mentions latest 102 034 but actually downloads 102 024 app. 163 MB with Full databases.

After restart you get product update download app. 74 MB.

After restart if you check for updates it downloads databases & is currently downloading on my system from 15 mins & is at 32% now....

Dont know if its is downloading the full database again due to any bug or the updates are really this slow.

I have installed ZA with Full databases.

My connection is 4 MBPS Broadband.

EDIT - It downloaded the Full database again.

Does ZA product upgrades downloads the Full AV database again? or it may be a bug?

9. khanyash

I am little confused with auto mode.

Is it autolearn mode i.e it will autolearn the behaviour of programs for sometime like hours/days/weeks?

or

Is it auto mode i.e it will automatically set rules for safe/whitelisted programs in ZA database/cloud, will automatically set rules for programs approved as safe by their defensenet network & will ask for unknown programs/or will also set automatic rules for unknown programs based on some analysis like heuristics/behaviour, etc?

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Automode will set permissions according to programs needs at the time of running them. This will be done for all unknown and known safe. So all unknown bad will be allowed, not good for you playing with random malware :) . Max will only allow known good and ask for unknown.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

In retail versions you get an alert about Comodo leak test wanting to load a driver to take control of the system. Did you got that? Probably HIPS are limited in the free version. :)

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i didn allow it. if you deny it. comodo leaktest just closes. so it does work i guess.

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

This surely seems to be the ZA bug. The first beta download around 200mb after installation.(Note:it had no signatures then with installer)

B'coz i am back with Kaspersky and it downloaded around 90-95mb updates after 1st install y'day and i was done.

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Before I open a support ticket, does anyone here know what this means?

Audit failure: 6281 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll

I tried googling and looking on checkpoints forum but didn't get any answers to this particular message.

I'm running this security suite on a win7 64 os.

thanks
    Ice

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ice,

What is your opinion & experience on this new suite?

Regards

Kees

16. IceCube1010

I really like it so far. As I posted a few post's up, my favorite combo was the free za firewall with aol active virus shield using the kaspersky engine. The audit failure is a bit troubling since I had not seen any solution for it. Something to do with forcefield and maybe win7 64 os. The icon does a disappearing act every once and awhile but the suite is still loaded in memory. The vsmon driver does require a lot of ram but in relation with todays pc's this is a non factor. The cpu usage is very low as it should be on a clean system. Comparing it with the other free security suites out there, I like this one the best. I'm not saying it is the best but it runs well on my machines.

If anyone can find some info on the audit failure above, that would be great.

thanks
    Ice

17. IceCube1010

I'm wondering since I didn't install the toolbar that this might have something to do with the audit failure. I think forcefield works with the toolbar behind the scenes.

Ice

18. SAW

SAW Registered Member

Might be, I had a few problems with my install before this one, when I didn't install the toolbars, this last install with the toolbars seems to be working well, with one minor problem with opening some excel files through a work based outlook exchange

19. khanyash

I did 2 fresh installs & 1 upgrade install. All the installs were without toolbar & no probs here with anything or any programs.

Only prob I faced was the upgrade install downloaded the whole 100 MB AV databases again & there were 2 entries of ZA FW & AV in add/remove after the upgrade install.

20. IceCube1010

I have opened up a ticket with support for the Audit Failure. I will report back with any info.

Ice

21. fax

fax Registered Member

This is by design, same as current retail products. Upgrading to new versions will also need the download of the full AV signature database. On production environment this does not happen often anyway.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  22. khanyash

I hate this design, not good.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, it could be linked to a limitation of the Kaspersky SDK package. Probably nothing that ZA development could do to rectify it. Sorry.

24. IceCube1010

This might have been resolved with the last update 034. I don't see any Audit Failures after 4/13. I installed that build on 4/14.

Does anyone else see Audit Failures in the Event Viewer? Windows Logs/Security

Ice

25. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

any updates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.