? New back-up app

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Longboard, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

2. Long-oard

Long-oard Guest

Anyone?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I bought it and gave it a shot. I guess it was okay, but it trashed my First Defense setup, so I dumped it in favor of Retrospect. That works fine. I also use Acronis True Image and Ghost 2003

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

New name, old concept (maybe) I believe this is a new product - a year or to ago I tried their ABS backup system. ...

I have two hard drives, one, C-F, the 2nd being an extended partition. G, for data.

The ABS creates a new drive letter to make the image of your HD.

On scanning, it read only the first HD (drive letters C-F), created G (so it thought), essentially over writing everything on G.

Fortunately, I had my own backup :rolleyes: on another external HD and was able to recover.

I wrote CMS, they replied with an apology, and that was that.

I mention this because their literature says that ABS is based on Bounceback technology, so It's confusing, because I thought ABS was first...

Bounceback may work in a different manner, but I would check to see what it's doing in the background before installing...

regards,

-rich

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, Peter, how did it do that? Did it mess with the Master Boot Record?

Acadia

6. Peter2150

I am not sure what it did, because it shouldn't have done anything with the master boot record. The uninstall was messed up and it wouldn't reinstall. I ended up having to remove everything, including the secondary snapshot manually. Boy did I get an education in file/folder security,ownership, permissions etc. What a pain!

Pete

PS. In the end Bounceback did prove valuable. Dantz gave me credit for what I paid for it toward Retrospect. :D

7. Peter2150

I am not sure what it did, because it shouldn't have done anything with the master boot record. The uninstall was messed up and it wouldn't reinstall. I ended up having to remove everything, including the secondary snapshot manually. Boy did I get an education in file/folder security,ownership, permissions etc. What a pain!

Pete

PS. In the end Bounceback did prove valuable. Dantz gave me credit for what I paid for it toward Retrospect. :D

PPS. To satisfy Raxco, after cleaning up, I reinstalled Bounce Back. Same result.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You've lost me in your explanation. Did you have to uninstall FirstDefense in order to install this new program, if so, why?

Acadia

9. Peter2150

Hi Acadia

Same thing happened when I installed Kav. When I installed Kav with ADS, I then notice my preboot inactive. Nothing brought it back. I was able to delete the secondary snapshot, and uninstall First Defense. When I reinstall First Defense all was well, and I built a new snapshot.

With CMS Bounceback, I couldn't remove the snapshot. When I tried to uninstall telling the uninstaller to remove everything the uninstall ran but with an error. I then tried reinstall FirstDefense but it also failed. (Note I had uninstalled Bounceback when I realize I had a problem, but I still couldn't do anything with First Defense. Thats when I remove First Defense manually, cleaned up and then I was able to reinstall.

Make any sense?

Pete

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What snapshot?

Acadia

11. Peter2150

My secondary snapshot. Esssentially I couldn't do anything with FDISR. Deinstall failed as did attempts to reinstall.

I run FDISR with just one secondary snapshot. When CMS corrupted FDISR, I couldn't boot to it, remove it, or uninstall FDISR.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Does Raxco have any idea why or how CMS corrupted FD? After the KAV episode and now hearing about your CM experience, I am beginning to wonder just how fragile FirstDefense might be. True, it is an incredibly powerful program as you already know, capible of doing some incredible things, but it seems to have an Achilles heal. I would be very interested in finding out what hosed your FD. I know that in the case of KAV, it was the ADS that did us in.

Acadia

13. Peter2150

Hi Acadia

I am not that concerned. Kav did disable preboot, but I was still able to use the boot intercept to get back and forth between snapshots. Removing a snapshot was not problem, and uninstalling went smoothly.

Raxco already knew about the KAV problem, as there is a warning on the Raxco site. I just didn't look until I had installed KAV. I suspected the ADS, and reinstalled KAV turning off the ADS, and now KAV and FDISR are quite happy together. I haven't had any other problems using stuff with FDISR, in fact as I type I am on a laptop using a Raid 0 configuration and FDISR works just fine. It was just Bounceback. It may relate to their designing Bounceback for their disk systems. I don't know. I use FDISR with Acronis,Retrospect, Ghost 2003 and all the other stuff I run, and have no problems with it.

I wouldn't live with out FDISR, and is I should find something that doesn't work with it, the something goes.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

So true, in my case I got rid of KAV. Even if there was a work around to make them play nicely together, I wasn't going to take any chances; FirstDefense means too much to me, it is my all time favorite software program, period! :cool: Take care.

Acadia

15. Peter2150

I've been running KAV 5.0 (sans ADS) with FDISR for over a week on two machines. Have already used FDISR multiple times on both machines. They work absolutely fine together as long as you turn of the ADS.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.