New AVK Pro 2004

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Hi everyone! New AVK Pro has been presented. It has two engines as before but now KAV and BitDefender!

http://www.gdata.de/trade/productview/366/3/

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Clearly downgraded compare to AVK 12.

tECHNODROME

3. Firefighter

To Technodrome from Firefighter!

What choices did G Data have when RAV has gone?

If G Data will continue the excellent archives scanner policy, only eTrust, TrendMicro, F-Prot and BDF were able to bring more power than KAV (= capable to scan more Embedded MS Office OLE Objects). How do u think what else was possible to G Data's financial potential?

Besides VirusP is testing that new AVK english beta version test published on December 2003! ( No any debate about VirusP testing, Please!). After that u can see at least if AVK is much worse than F-secure!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Technodrome

F-Prot
    Mcafee
    DrWeb
    NOD32

Probably licensing of these engines would be more expensive and AVK would end up with higher price.

tECHNODROME

5. Firefighter

I understood that G Data will continue that archives scanning capability it has just now or even make it better. So NOD or DrWeb doesn't improve AVK in that case and how much does it cost with McAfee and there we have the biggest mammoth ever! F-Prot, we have F-secure already?

From G Data site: "Durchsucht nahezu alle Formate gepackter Dateien, Archive und eingebetteter Dateien".

PS. Do u think that NOD will allow it's name to be mixed those few false positives that KAV has in VB?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. Technodrome

Archive scan is not important issue. This has been discussed many times. Detection capability is what counts. NOd32 or DrWeb are known for great heuristics engines.

We could have f-secure for less $$$.

Maybe their engine is not for sale at all. ;)

Hmmm...What happend here?U still seek the truth or no ? Don't give up now... :D

tECHNODROME

7. Firefighter

> Archive scan is not important issue. This has been discussed many times. Detection capability is what counts. NOd32 or DrWeb are known for great heuristics engines.

U may have right. But what is less important to u may be more important to someone else.

Besides, if u combine two av:s, let's take at the overall detectection rates 90% and 95%, the summary result may be again the same 95% or only 96%. But when u combine two other av:s as detection rates 85% and 95%, the summary result may be 99%, because they are focused on different areas!

> Hmmm...What happend here? U still seek the truth or no ? Don't give up now...

Thank's to tell me that my Alzheimer is going so strong! :D

"The truth is out there, but it hurts."

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

8. Technodrome

Yes you might be right but it will not happend with BDs engine!! I don't see how Bit Defenders engine will compete with KAVs engine. KAVs engine will beat BDs engine 24/7.

Somehow I fail to see advantage of adding BDs engine to AVK 2004. I only see disadvantage in terms of speed and resources impact.

tECHNODROME

9. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

yeah the gap left by RAV engine disappering is huge, bitdefender doesn't come even close.. it looks like f-prot deal with frisk and f-secure is ending, don't know why? but it would probably be available, for a price... still bitdefender is coming and getting better
    the rav engine i think wasn't a good choice anymore, the updates have been scarce( 1-2 times a week)
    in my mind ditching it is a wise thing to do

Firefighter, GREAT SAVO btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.