New Avira Premium Security Suite (AntiVir 8)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After 2 years Avira offers the next generation of it's excellent antivirus product line: AntiVir 8 The product now contains all features which are already finished. It's fully update capable - we'll supply all new engine and virus pattern files through normal updates.
    The betatest will last until April 4, 2008.

New features:
    Completely new high speed antivirus engine 10-15% better performance during file scanning Lower impact on overall system performance Reduced memory footprint

Licensing
    You can use your existing license for the Avira Premium Security Suite or download a special beta license which will enable the product for 3 months.

2. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Already had it on and, alas, off. Reduced my (perceived) system performance versus version 7.

3. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I would not have known. Avira seems a little slow at informing of such things. I have sent a email to test but they usually don't get back to me. Mabey I will get lucky this time!

4. PnP

PnP Registered Member

Currently tested.. seem that have none problem but I noticed that have some disconecction with irc..

5. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Severe slowdown on a Windows 2000 SP4 system. No good, compared to version 7.

6. s4u

s4u Registered Member

It is not working great here either but please keep in mind it is still a beta version

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

much slower than version 7 for me. uses more resources. not good. i wanted version 7 with better/ more features. if this will be what 8 is like ill end up elsewhere.. i really like 7

8. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Any screen shot?

Mike

9. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well there are no visiual changes to the 7 till now ;)
    only a new engine.
    othere changes will come later

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Installed the new Avira SS 8 beta. It's working great here. I can't tell the difference between this and version 7 as far as performance goes. I haven't noticed it being heavier than version 7. The one thing that has changed, and I'm very happy to see this, is now you can set the firewall to High, and it passes the ShieldsUp test at grc.com. You don't have to add an incoming TCP rule like you did in version 7. Good work, Avira. :thumb:

11. zfactor

well i did a full cleanup and registry cleaning and re-installed fresh the new version 8 and its running much better, still a bit heavier than 7 but very minimal and evrything is running nice and smooth now..

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just tried to register for the beta. As I said in a new thread about this in the Avira forum, I couldn't believe that Avira asked me for my full home street address and full real name! Why are they so nosey? Going to send me some snail mail spam?

Plus, that entire registration assumes you are a corporate user. Again, why? No home users wanted for testing? Why?

Anyhow, I'm ticked off because I had to wait a long time to get the email and when I finally did and clicked on the link to finish the registration I was told that the registration code is INVALID. There were no instructions in the email or on the Avira beta page about whom to contact if there was a problem. I thought Avira was going to overhaul the entire beta testing process...that is what we were promised in a thread at the Avira forum. When do they plan to do this?

Anyhow, anyone here know what I do now that I was sent an invalid registration code?

Attached Files:

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Mele20..........

Sorry to hear you had problems. But unfortunately, that does sound typical of Avira. They have a nice product, but their customer service leaves something to be desired.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

BETA ... and you won't help AVIRA folks by comparing their beta to another product :blink:

15. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Wasn't the comparison between Avira 8 and Avira 7? I know mine was, and 8 still seems slower than 7. This info can be useful to Avira programmers, don't you think?

16. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi i have downloaded this and key beta? says demo what do i do wont update thanks o_O

Ok working now...... very light on core duo

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  17. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Well, I ain't gonna be buying this then. I was going to shell out $80 bucks for a 3 user license but now you guys are saying ver 8 beta slows the system down?

18. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

But remember, Straight Shooter, HiTech_boy reminds us (correctly) that version 8 is still only a beta version, not anywhere near ready to be sold.

You may wish to reserve your final decision until the product is actually released for sale.

19. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

If Avira V7 works like a charm, don't worry about 8 as it's just in beta testing and doesn't indicate what the final will be like.

20. zfactor

i would still like to know why they think so highly price wise of there suite. i converted it again today and now its over 90$ in us dollars.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

As others have already said, this is just the beginning of the beta! Beta runs until second week of April. I can sure recall easily what early betas were like with KAV and McAfee corporate, NOD32 and others. KAV didn't correct a bug that affected the display of this forum for a very long time...drove me nuts but I wouldn't base a decision on purchasing a product because the betas had various bugs.

I'll let you know what I think once the registration thingy gets straightened out and I can get it. But even if it slows my computer that won't mean much ...not this early in beta. The only thing so far is a new engine, as I read, and there will likely be a number of changes as the beta progresses. I can sort of see why some companies prefer closed in house betas even though those run a significant risk of not catching important problems because of the testers not being widespread but in house betas curtail these sorts of senseless posts.

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

so far so good. It is as light as the previous version and additionally, it uses less system resources while scanning. I can't see yet that increase in scanning speed, but I'll wait...

23. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well this is the first beta. and in this part it should be checked how it's running on different computers. so when everybody having problems that it slows done it would be fine to report that in the betaforum, so that avira can act.
    i can't tell that it slows down. i installed it and i think it's running better then the 7.
    and the final version will not be released before avril 2008 so there will be big changes about the whole product.
    not only faster scanning and lighter, but new gui, new features, better self protection...

24. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Over $90? That's TOOOOO much for me... I'll be trialing other stuff now. Honestly, I can't justify $90 when Avast Free kept me clean for over a year..

Maybe they should have "American" prices...

Jim

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i said a few times a while back that i thought Aviras beta program needed to be extended, they are listening.

i think this is good for all concerned, hopefully they can fix out many of the bugs in the current versions, without adding any new ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.