New AVG 8.5 on the horizon

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

NEW AVG Product Releases

AVG Version 8.5
    AVG 8.5, the latest version in AVG's security product family, is scheduled for release March 2, 2009. AVG 8.5 has been developed for two primary reasons:

• To create a platform into which we can integrate the exciting new behavior-based malware protection and identity theft prevention technology acquired with Sana.
    • To bring together and implement in a structured way a number of performance enhancements that improve the stability of the product.

Features of AVG 8.5
    In addition to the performance enhancements, the most notable addition to the product family is the inclusion of the Sana technology, which has been renamed AVG Identity Protection. AVG Identity Protection is a component of the AVG Internet Security 8.5 home edition and will also be sold as a stand-alone product. AVG Identity Protection offers users:

• Advanced Real-time, continuous protection against identity theft
    • Protection against new and unknown threats that needs no scheduled updates
    • Quick and easy download, installation and use
    • Compatibility with security products from all major vendors
    • Free 24/7 support and service
    • Support for all versions of Windows Vista and Windows XP

Real-time, continuous protection
    Traditional security products rely on signatures to protect users, which works well when dealing with existing threats. AVG Identity Protection adds a further layer of protection, spotting and blocking suspicious behavior by applications on the user's computer on a continuous basis to protect against new and unknown threats.

No need to remember to schedule scans or updates
    Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs can no longer keep up with creating, testing, and distributing signatures for the tens of thousands of threats arriving in security labs every day. Because AVG Identity Protection works by detecting and preventing suspicious behavior on a continuous basis, there's no need to worry about the latest signature updates or scheduling a scan every day. As soon as it'sinstalled, Identity Protection is on guard, protecting users' digital assets against phishing and other identity theft attacks.

Easy to install and manage
    AVG Identity Protection follows AVG's motto of 'tough on threats, easy on users', taking less than 1% of the computer's processing power to provide that continuous, real-time protection.

Community-based research
    Like AVG's LinkScanner, AVG Identity Protection uses information about threats uncovered by the software to improve its research and detection capabilities. By installing AVG Identity Protection, users have the option to join the community of customers who provide valuable feedback. Participating users allow the data from their Quarantine and Allow decisions to be automatically provided to AVG researchers; this data is completely anonymous and cannot be associated with any individual user.

Pricing, Availability and Upgrade/Migration
    Pricing, product availability and upgrade/migration from 7.5 and 8.0 details are in preparation and will be made available in upcoming webinars and in the AVG Reseller Center.

AVG Linux/FreeBSD Update
    AVG for Linux/FreeBSD is also being upgraded to bring the product into line with the 8.5 range.

The new AVG 8.5 for Linux/Free BSD product will offer:

• New, streamlined scanning engine with heuristic emulator, expanded detection within archive files, runtime unpackers, and improved malware detection
    • New AVG-developed REDIRFS-based on-access scanner
    • Dedicated process for every scan significantly improves reliability
    • Improved diagnostics tools and logging provide greater control and tenability
    • Improved system resource handling through shared memory usage
    • Support for new multi-core CPUs and for multi-CPU architecture
    • Support for 64-bit architecture
    • A fully modular solution, isolating required restarts to affected modules in case of problems

AVG 8.5 Server Edition for Linux/FreeBSD provides protection for both e-mail and file servers in a single distribution package, robust enough to support millions of e-mails a day.

Support for the following products will be phased out on April 30, 2009 so we recommend you plan to upgrade your customers to the new version as soon as it becomes available:

• AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus for Linux/FreeBSD
    • AVG 7.5 File Server Edition for Linux/FreeBSD

robin

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I had too many problems with the version 8, so I hope those are fixed in 8.5. Mainly freezes and extremely slow browsing. Apart from my problems, I really liked the program in general.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

Not really it is becoming even heavier and soon unusable. it is a great disapointment

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

o_O so what are they doing with the LinkScanner functionality they have also purchased. Are they going to roll the various user base communities together...or what? Seems to me to be a purchase of the sake of a purchase because they were falling behind the rest of the pack.

Suppose it will only be fair to give them the benefit of the doubt until...:doubt:

5. robinb

robinb Registered Member

got me, i just got that via an email because i am a avg reseller. I have been very disappointed with the product lately, many of my clients who have the free version and the pro version are having problems, I still have the pro/free on 6 of my computers and i only have a problem with one of them. I wish Avira would in their free version offer webshield like AVG does now. I have a few clients on the pro version and a few on the free version of avira now. I switched them to the free version because avg free was just giving them so many update problems.

If Grifsoft doesn't produce a lighter and better working program, when their subscription expires I will switch them to Avira and I will stop being a reseller for them.

robin

6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

First of all, robinb, thanks for the heads-up on the updated AVG release!

Unlike you and the other posters so far, I am QUITE pleased with AGV Anti-malware V8.x. paid and have been since it came out, with no problems here on three systems (two desktops and one laptop).

I am actually looking forward to the new AVG release......

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Also tough on CPU i 'd say... I was using AVG free 7.5 which was light as a feather. Then AVG 8 came and had to leave it. Adding 1% more CPU for an identity protection module to the already CPU-heavy v.8? Sure, great idea! And what CPU that might be? A quad core maybe? :thumbd:

AVG must learn the lesson that Symantec did and stop burdening system resources. Security programs, since they run all the time, should pass as unnoticed as possible, in the task manager.

8. progress

progress Guest

But that's the right way - behavior blocking! Let's see if Avira & Avast will also include something like this :p

BTW: Yes, AVG is getting fat :oops:

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dobut avira will anytime soon, their heuristics do a good job to make up the diff. :)

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I just love marketing people:
    Exciting for whom? The users who are going to be flooding Tech Support for help when it doesn't work properly?
    Isn't this an oxymoron? Structured as opposed to what... unorganized? Are they also implying that the product is not stable at the moment but with the addition of these enhacements, it will be?

Don't get me wrong, I use AVG yet I have to laugh when I read marketing jargon like this.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

They sure have learned that it is a problem, what remains to be seen is whether they found a solution.....The release of AVG 8.5 is too soon for comfort, I think they should give it more time so that they can deliver an optimized product. The whole reason AVG 8.0 has been so problematic was because it was rushed out the door, and remember that LinkScanner is related to half the problems in AVG - the late addition to the product probably caused it. This is why I feel 8.5 should get more testing before being released.

12. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I have more than a sneaking suspicion you may be right! The AVG 8.5 beta forum makes for revealing reading!

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! already has this technology planned. It's scheduled for avast! 5.0 release. Which will hopefully be released in the first half of the 2009.

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

:eek:

Indeed, with so many bugs in the product right now, Identity protection not being properly integrated (separate application "hacked on" to AVG just like LinkScanner was for 8.0), and the release date of March 2, it sure doesn't look good. :doubt:

The indications I had while fishing around with the AVG 8.0 launch is that the AVG marketing team is very aggressive and rushes products out the door even if the development doesn't agree........And indeed AVG has expanded its marketing facilities over the last two or three years quite significantly.......:doubt:

15. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Re : My Laptop

Well..
    Last week I'd finally had enough of - NIS 09
    I Could Take No More! :mad:
    So I uninstalled NIS 09 .. & .. Installed Avast Instead :cool:

Re : My Desktop

AVG 8 - Paid ( Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware )
    My subscription is due to run out in a few months .. And I'm seriously considering switching to Avast on that computer too :doubt:
    With The news of - AVG 8.5
    I'm Not Sure Yet..
    Whether this will make my decision harder or easier.
    I Guess It Will Depend On...
    1/ Whether AVG 8.5 does get realised before my existing AVG Subscription runs out.
    2/ Whether AVG 8 automatically updates to 8.5 ... OR ... We have to uninstall and reinstall.
    * If I've got to uninstall and reinstall ... I Probably Wont Bother!
    e.g.
    I'll probably just wait until my AVG 8 subscription runs out .. Then I'll Install Avast Instead.
    * If AVG 8 automatically updates to 8.5 ... It will make my decision much easier.
    e.g.
    If AVG automatically updated to 8.5 - & - I found I liked the new AVG 8.5 ...
    I could just renew my subscription and carry on with AVG.

Then Again... I'm Not Sure! :doubt:
    A lot of odd little things have / are going on.. With the computer I have AVG 8 installed on :doubt:
    Especially on my sons side of the computer.
    I've never really felt safe with AVG 8
    When It Scans.. It hammers the hell out of my - Hard Drive & CPU :argh:

So Perhaps I Should just Scrap AVG 8 and Install Avast on my Desktop Computer.

I'm certainly enjoying my Laptop more :D
    Since I Ditched - NIS 09 ... For - Avast

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Thanks JRViejo ;)

I'll Be Keeping Those Links :thumb:

On My Laptop - I'm liking Avast more and more each day :cool:
    So..
    I will most likely be ditching AVG on my Desktop Computer ;)

Thanks!

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, they should have a study first on LinkScanner, before implementing it into their products.
    But, the problem LinkScanner was causing, was not an issue started by AVG itself. It already existed before AVG acquired Explabs.

I know that for fact, as I was a long user of LinkScanner Pro, and now, in one system, I'm using AVG 8 Pro since it first came out. And, indeed, the slowness was still there. But, they got conscious of it and did something about it. I no longer witness any slowdowns while browsing with Internet Explorer and Firefox. With Opera, I never had this issue with LinkScanner Pro, though, as the problem was caused by rating results or something like that. One workaround would be to kill LinkScanner Pro in both IE and Firefox. Then, only the background protection would be working. That way, no more slowness.

This is also, why AVG is working on a stand alone version of LinkScanner. To fix the issues still existing in the LinkScanner Pro/Lite stand alone versions.

I also agree that AVG should take more time, before releasing AVG 8.5. But, until I start testing, I can't say much. I already registered as beta tester and will download it and see how it performs.

Regards

19. progress

progress Guest

First experiences? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.