New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

I was wondering which one to choose: NVT ERP or AG but looking at the developement I will go for AG because ERP looks lreally like an abandoned product.

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I don't think NVT ERP is abandoned: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...ks-exe-radar-pro.300552/page-200#post-2559666
    Generically, they are both anti-exe's, but work differently. NVT ERP is an easy-to-use whitelisting program, and AG is more policy-based (and a bit more complex to figure out). You can use both with no issues, several of us here do.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly Paul. I think they complement each other beautifully.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

ERP isn't broken. AG has many more issues than ERP, hence the AG forum is more active than ERP's forum.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Actually the ERP forum is usually more active than the AG forum. The reason the AG forum is more active right now is because development started up again recently. The ERP thread has not been very active lately because Andrea was not participating in the thread for a while, and there has been no new beta releases for some time now. AppGuard does not have many known bugs, it's just too complicated for some users to use.

6. faircot

faircot Registered Member

Not quite accurate, I think. Outside the rarefied atmosphere of Wilders and corporate IT departments I wonder how many people really understand AG and are managing to run it successfully. Very few, I suspect.

7. bellgamin

I agree. Moreover, "too complex" IS a bug.

8. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@hjlbx

Thanks for the info about the Chinese forum. I tried to understand to see what happens but the translation is not very good and it is hard to get it. Also images don't load correctly within Google Translate. From the image it seems they used ERP in Alert Mode and they got the alerts about new processes and .tmp processes. Seems they blocked that file via ERP in Alert Mode and then captured it, but hard to say. If the process was executed, then ERP definitely should have detected\blocked it. I'm wondering if the malware used msiexec.exe or another potentially vulnerable system process, but have found no evidences of that on the translated text.

9. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

My Chinese contact states OP reported that ERP and VS were bypassed - even though he\she selected Block in alert - the file was executed.

However, everyone whose native language is not has disadvantage because it is impossible to understand the pages using on-line translator.

So, nothing can be definitively verified.

From Process Explorer it has the appearance of being a vulnerable process bypass technique.

10. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

Will there be the free version?

11. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

Tnx
    I know last beta is free, just want to know about this new version.

12. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

It's been 'donationware' for some time now.
    Call it free if you wish but developers still need to eat :)
    I am hopeful to see a 'final release' put out sometime soon :doubt:
    Last requested around two years ago ;)

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Speaking of money spent on software, I am willing to pay an annual license for ERP as long it is a reasonable amount like NO more than 9 euros and have constant support and development.
    Agreed, freelance devs and software firms live in this world run by monetary system so they need income to exist.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What about adding a parent-child "process execution control" feature? I think this will give better protection against bypassing techniques. Would it be hard to add such a feature?

I'm not so sure about this, I think an annual fee is more realistic with bigger software companies.

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

And I don't get the rationale behind this assertion. What isn't realistic about an independent developer to charge an annual fee? Why a bigger firm is entitled to charge annual fees and a small one not if both creates dependable and well-done products?
    My logic is: money is money here and Patagonia.

16. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@Mister X's point is that NVT ERP is such a good soft that he is willing to pay a reasonable fee - to encourage active development.

I absolutely agree with his position.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well either way and however it goes count me in because this is one sweet and perfectly stable anti-exe app with a plethora of some pretty useful features and specifically to my favor the notifications/audio alerts. The effective enough under the hood functions is been a welcome experience so far on this end.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well I have to add a me too. This program is indeed worth some money every year.

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

20. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

To be honest I'd rather pay more for a lifetime license. This way, no matter what happens to the software (for instance, if the developer decides to stop working on it), I can continue using it legally without any other complications.

21. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Lifetime means exponentially less revenue for Andreas (dev) then discouraging for him to keep developing it. I certainly believe Andreas has a deep commitment to his creations and customers so again an annual fee (less than 9 bucks) is the way to go.

Btw I think Andreas has to manage two types of licensing:
    1. Free with limited features.
    2. Annual fee for those who wants constant support and development no matter what.

I'm in for number two. No big deal to spent that amount every year.

Exe Radar Pro is such a great anti-exe which deserves eternal evolution... :cool:

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I agree with you. I also believe this a possibility, very likely indeed.

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Nebulus has already explained it. Of course ERP is worth the money, but with small companies it's more likely that something might happen that causes the developer to stop offering the product. With a lifetime license that isn't a problem, but if you can't renew the license, you're out of luck.

24. bellgamin

ERP is a KEY aspect of my security. I would gladly pay in the neighborhood of $20-25/year for it.

25. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.