New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. guest

guest Guest

i have both installed, no conflicts. what is your SD & ERP version, which OS , does SD processes are whitelisted in ERP?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

With all due respect all the information is already supplied in my previous posts and my signature, except perhaps for the SD processes, with only one listed, namely 'DefenderDaemon.exe'.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well, the problem mentioned above just stopped happening... I don't understand...I mean it's okay, by all means, but I don't like erratic behaviour particularly with security programs. At this stage time will tell...

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Which setting do you guys use?

screenshot.1.png

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

"Allow processes signed only by Trusted Vendors"

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't use trusted vendors. I want to make the decisions on my machines so I use the first option.

7. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

I have uploaded a new beta build of ERP, the download link is this:
    http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_20042014_BUILD1_30072014_v10.exe

To update, follow these steps:

1) Make a backup (export) of your current settings/lists
    2) Close EXERadar (if it is running)
    3) Uninstall EXERadar (you can keep your current settings)
    4) Reboot the PC (needed)
    5) Install the new build

This new build fixes various issues reported by @busy (such as when editing command-lines, file locations and the saving of new vulnerable processes) and other small optimizations/fixes.
    It integrates a protection against process termination, so Task Manager and other applications cannot terminate EXERadar.exe and ERPSvc.exe processes.
    The process protection works in all OSs, from XP to 8.1 32/64-bit.

Post here if you find any issues with this new build.

@Overkill

I have it set to "Do not allow signed processes".

@act8192

Not at the moment, may be a good idea to allow user to also specify processes and command-line strings allowed to execute for each whitelisted parent process.
    Not sure if it would overload ERP as you can always whitelist the processes, what you guys think about this ?

It doesn't matter I think, you may install first ERP and then Outpost probably, important is that then you configure both of them to exclude each other from being monitored.

Yes, you may use the firewall component and disable the other component if it does the exact same thing as ERP's features.

@TyRidian

In addition to @busy and @guest recommendations I recommended to @Osaban to also exclude in SD the driver file of ERP that is located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvterp.sys

It may solve the issues related to the "Failed to retrieve the driver handle".

@bellgamin @Overkill

I have still remained your two issues to reproduce, will have more time for this on these days for sure.

8. Enternal

Enternal Registered Member

Thanks for the new version! That reminds me, there is something funky going on with Chrome and I tend to get funky garbled characters under the Parent column when using it. It only happens to Chrome and I have already tried resetting EXE Radar and tried with another system with same results. I will get a more detailed explanation about that with pictures once I get home.

9. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@novirusthanks, Thanks for responding to our queries.
    Re: can ERP set specific Parent-child allows:
    Could be done from alert, right?
    I'm no expert in these things. Just inquiring what's possible.
    On XP, System Safety Monitor (SSM) does watch parent-child very carefully with no performance hit at all. Also includes command strings.
    Sunbelt firewall also can do it, though not to the great detail SSM can, also no issues.
    How this feature would (or not) work on Windows 7, no idea. But it would be very useful, as it is on XP.
    Think browsers. I only permit one parent - explorer.exe. Not excel, word, outlook, pdf readers, trojans, nothing.
    Or firewall setup, regedit, regsvr32, many more - limiting who can run those sensitive programs works without a hitch.

10. busy

busy Registered Member

@novirusthanks

i followed the instructions to update ERP but PC froze after logon, had to reset and rollback to previous snapshot. (RollBack Rx)

COMODO Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142 (Proactive Security, HIPS enabled)
    AppGuard 4.1.44.1 (Beta)
    Sandboxie 4.13.1 (Beta)
    RollBack Rx 10.2 269483149
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (up to date) 64 bit

Edit: it's definitely incompatibility between CIS and new ERP. Tried without CIS and no problem after logon.

@Enternal

Same here

http://s4.postimg.org/nzo0ekvxp/nvterp3692.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

@novirusthanks

Incompatibility with ERP v3.1.0.0 BUILD1-30072014 and EMET 5.0 Final

PC Freezes when newest ERP v3.1.0.0 BUILD1-30072014 is installed next to the newest version of EMET 5.0 Final (With EMET protections for ERP processes enabled)

Here is what I experienced

1. Current versions of ERP and EMET are installed next to one another, EMET is under Maximum security settings with EAF and Caller unchecked for ERP Processes.

2. I restart my machine

3. PC Boots up and loads all processes

4. Double click on the ERP tray icon and program appears to be in a frozen state, including when trying to click on anything else on the PC.

5. Restart the PC as many times as you want, same results

Now, if I remove ERP processes from EMET, ERP operates just fine (Of course after system restart)

Now for a question:

Since you implemented process protection, does this mean that ERP is not needed under EMET protection anymore?

Could this be why I experienced the above issues?

12. guest

guest Guest

where is my lock icon !!!! :D

more seriously , installed , all went fine at the moment.

13. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Does anyone have a problem in automatic deletion of sandboxes after upgrading to latest NVTERP build?Using Sandboxie v4.13.1 Beta on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

14. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Enternal

Have you followed these steps ?

3) Uninstall EXERadar (you can keep your current settings)
    4) Reboot the PC (needed)
    5) Install the new build

@TyRidian @busy

I installed EMET + CIS in a VM and I configured them to work togheter (no freezes or similar):
    http://postimg.org/image/h4yo8g4hh/

I excluded all .exe and .dll files on CIS Behavior Blocked:
    http://postimg.org/image/9qj220nkz/

I would recommend to also add the kernel-mode driver located here:

I configured EMET this way:
    http://postimg.org/image/u75j6pydr/

Then I rebooted the VM and I noticed no conflicts or freezing issues, I will keep the VM running for few days to see if the OS continues to be stable.

Let me know if you can try to configure CIS and EMET the same way and if it works for you too.

Another general rule for using ERP with other HIPS/AVs/FWs is to add to the exclusions list of HIPS/BB all the .exe and .dll files located here:
    C:\Program Files\NoVirusThanks\EXE Radar Pro\

Plus the kernel-mode driver:

*Note that in this new build there are two new .dll files used by ERP:
    C:\Program Files\NoVirusThanks\EXE Radar Pro\erpmodule.dll
    C:\Program Files\NoVirusThanks\EXE Radar Pro\erpmodule32.dll

They should be added in the exclusions list.

@WSFfan

What problems do you get ?

Let me know if you get thge alert, in case paste here the command-line string so we can help you to update the whitelisted command-line string using wildcard.

@act8192

I think you can achieve the same with the "Lockdown Mode":
    Every unknown (not present in the whitelists) process that try to run is blocked by default.
    If IEXPLORE.EXE spawns a new and unknown process, it is blocked.
    If IEXPLORE.EXE tries to load a DLL file via rundll32.exe and the command-line string is not whitelisted, it is blocked.
    If IEXPLORE.EXE tries to execute a new process via cmd.exe and the command-line string is not whitelisted, it is blocked.
    If IEXPLORE.EXE tries to register a DLL file via regsvr32.exe and the command-line string is not whitelisted, it is blocked.

Let me know if this is what you needed.

15. Tyrizian

By looking at your screenshot, I noticed that you were using "Recommended security settings" as I was using "Maximum security settings"

So, I changed to Recommended security settings to see if that would work....and it did not.

I tried everything that was shown in your configuration.

I was thinking why it would work for you and not for me, So the only thing I am wondering is...

Since both ERP and EMET have changed/been tweaked with, could it be a Windows 8.1 thing?

I mean, what is strange to me is that EMET 5.0 Technical Preview 3 and EXE Radar Pro (before newest changes were made) worked just fine under Windows 8.1, but now it does not.

Which makes me believe that there is an incompatibility with the two, while under Windows 8.1.

16. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

Sure that is possible, I will install both (with EMET set to "Maximum security settings") in a VM with Windows 8.1 and I will let you know the results :)

17. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Uninstalled previous Beta build,deleted the config settings,rebooted,then installed the latest beta.Applied recommended settings.NVTERP is in alert mode now.

Removed all items in Safe Applications,Then whitelisted Program Files,Program Files(x86) and Windows folder in 'C' Partition

Unchecked Allow all software from Program files folder in Settings>General

Unchecked Don't check if a process is signed(save bandwidth)

Checked all the options in External Devices

Enabled Password for protecting the closing the application and disabling of protection

Enabled Play the system beep sound

Header color -Emerald

I run Firefox or IE sandboxed,but sandbox doesn't get deleted automatically.Please note that I have checked Automatically delete contents of sandbox in Sandboxie.

Then i delete contents by right clicking delete contents in Sandboxie tray icon.

Exit NVTERP.Then run Sandboxed application,but now Sandbox contents is deleted automatically.After that i re-enable NVTERP,but now sandbox doesn't get deleted automatically.

Please note the command line string for Sandbox automatic deletion is present in NVTERP
    C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c rmdir /s /q "?:\*\__Delete_*" is there in Whitelist>Command-Lines.

OS-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Sandboxie-v4.13.1 beta
    NVTERP-latest beta build

18. busy

busy Registered Member

19. Tyrizian

Andreas, you rock :thumb:

By the way, just want to thank you for all that you do.

20. busy

busy Registered Member

I've added ERP files to every possible exclusion in CIS but PC freezes if i open/execute the gui. (EXERadar.exe)

Is there any way to disable self-protection other than renaming those DLLs?

21. Tyrizian

Busy, what operating system are you running?

Also, is the OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

It might help the developer pinpoint the problems you're experiencing.

It could be that ERP broke compatibility with the newest changes, while being run under a certain Operating System (XP, 2000, Vista, 7, Windows 8, 8.1)

I might be wrong, but I am thinking this is the cause for freeze-ups, etc.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also would like the option to disable self protection, just on general principles.

Pete

23. busy

busy Registered Member

@TyRidian

Windows 7 SP1 x64. *

I renamed those DLLs and using the latest beta without freeze.

24. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Is this normal for this build?

screenshot.1.png

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

On XP I´m also using SSM, and the parent-child control feature is kinda nice, but it sometimes can also be a bit annoying. And if I´m correct the "vulnerable process" feature in ERP will always alert when "sensitive" programs are launched, am I correct? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.