New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I really prefer the trusted folders tab

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Me, too.

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

4. iammike

iammike Registered Member

Hi,

any chance that my problem (losing the NVT Icon in the taskbar) is solved with this new beta ??

Thx

5. guest

guest Guest

last beta works well here :thumb:

6. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Overkill

I merged the "Trusted Folders" with "Path Comparison" because this way we have only 4 tabs in the "Whitelist" tab (more user-friendly) and it is easier to whitelist subfolders (using the * character).

@iammike

The last beta build v3.1 does not fix the issue you reproted with the taskbar, I plan to fix it when I'll be back at work in 3 of May.

7. rock_man

rock_man Registered Member

Hello - Have these changes been made yet?

8. iammike

Thx, I have still no idea what is causing this, sometimes when FlashPlayer "gets" active (for example when going to YouTube, the icon goes away, but sometimes it doesn't.

Isn't there a debug switch I can activate so we can see what is happening ??

9. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@rock_man

Not in this build, I'll add them in the next days.

Also other users have asked us to have the settings and the whitelist/blacklist globally for all users.

We may make ERP by default to save/load settings/lists globally, there should be no need to use per-user settings.

What do you think ?

@iammike

That is a very strange issue, personally I could not reproduce it, but I will keep trying.

There is no a debug switch on ERP, does the issue happens everytime ERP is started (manually) ?

In this case I can prepare a custom build (I was very busy recently to do this previously) that helps us to find what can potentially cause the issue.

10. iammike

^ No it doesn't, that's the strangest thing about it. After a restart of the program it seems that the icon stays. (Sorry but not sure) My guess it has something to do with flash (not sure about this one either).

Please note: I don't have the Flash (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_13_0_0_206.exe) process whitelisted.

I will whitelist and report back here in a couple of days and see if the problem continues.

11. rock_man

That's great news! Yes, global settings/lists make sense by default as most other security software that I have used operate in a similar way. TY

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

+1 for global.
    :)

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I will check it out. ;)

@ Andreas,

About my idea of blocking browser extensions, I don´t think it´s possible, because nothing gets executed, my bad.

14. iammike

I am more and more convinced that it has something to do with the FlashPlayer Plugin starting.

This morning I went to read my Yahoo Mail, and when NVT warned me about the FlashPlayer process 2 times and after that the NVT icon was gone from the Taskbar. I have now whitelisted Flash and see if it still happens.

Edit: // 4:44pm Added PS

Ps: I haven't had the issue since I whitelisted Flash, will keep on checking, but I think it's still a good idea to add a debug switch to NVT.

Edit 2: // 4-5-14, 11:30am

No problems since I have whitelisted Flash.

Edit 3: // 5-5-14 3:30pm

Came back to my computer and the Icon was gone. There where no alerts. (Strange)

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

This is the download link for a new build:
    http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_20042014_BUILD1_20042014_v2.exe

To update, please follow these steps:

1) Close EXERadar (if it is running)
    2) Uninstall EXERadar (you can keep your current settings)
    3) Reboot the PC (needed)
    4) Install the new build

What's new ?

Now ERP correctly detects the parent process of Sandboxie, so it is also possible to auto-allow all processes started inside Sandboxie (Start.exe as parent process).

Some screenshots:

Notepad.exe started inside Sandboxie, Start.exe detected as parent process:
    http://postimg.org/image/udspaeioj/

To automatically allow all processes started inside Sandboxie:

1) Add "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" to the WhiteList -> Parent Processes:
    http://postimg.org/image/g57bssv8r/
    2) Start a program inside Sandboxie, and check the Events log:
    http://postimg.org/image/apbtbhf2v/

@iammike

That is a very strange issue, I'll see if I can reproduce it, much thanks for the additional information and updates.

In the next days I'll focus on changing saving of ERP settings globally.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I suggest the program uninstallation from program file to be password protected in case it get uninstall by others in my house without my knowledge

17. rock_man

Hello, in your scenario, I don't think this is the responsibility of ERP, but rather the OS. If you make their user accounts as "Standard User", uninstall will be denied except Administrator accounts, yes?

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very true :) I may do that if developer denies my idea :)

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would disagree. THere is no point in password all aspects of a security program if one can just uninstall. On the other hand you may just be able to black list the uninstaller.

20. rock_man

Proper use of user account types will also deny the installation of undesirable software (globally - a user can still "install" software under their own account) just as much as it does to deny uninstalling of desirable software. Blacklisting the uninstaller, if that is possible, is a great idea. First of all, you have to use an Administrator account to install ERP. Non-Administrators will not be able to elevate and uninstall ERP without the Administrator password. On my PCs, there is only one Administrator account and all other user accounts are Standard. Guest is disabled.

21. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How would this work, Pete, if you legitimately wanted to uninstall the program? Does the ERP master password give you "Alert" type access to Blacklisted items. or are they just blocked with no workaround option?

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

I think for privacy I should have a password protection for in case of uninstallation happens

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Simple. Since you are doing it, either use disable or learning modes. I think you would need to enter your password, but then you can uninstall.

Pete

24. rock_man

Meh. I think ERP password protection is unnecessary and redundant with proper OS user accounts setup.

Oh wait, are we talking about Windows 7 and newer?

25. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I agree jmonge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.