New Anti-Malware test.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tec505, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I just wanted to say congrats to Nick and Superantispyware. Their dedication to improving their product is really showing. One of the best now.

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What do they exactly mean with 1st upto 12th round ?

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It is strange that they got CS 1.5.82 running up and successfully tested in all the past tests.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: IMO, this test result does send out an alarming message. There must have a different and better approach of fighting malwares. Signature-base ASs do provide us good but not very solid protection. Their rate of detection can be varied from this high to that low. By looking at this result, perhaps only very few ASs can really be depended upon these days.:oops:

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Good AS application = suited to one's needs. Detection rate - irrelevant. Why?

Because:

1. Each test is different - no standard.
    2. Testing a program in a lab is different than testing it for real.
    3. High detection rate means little if the program crashes every 63 hours, causes BSOD or eats 50% CPU. High detection rate means little if certain malware is excluded because the author paid money. Think about former spyware companies going "legit". I can name a few. Say what you will about Patrick Kolla and Spybot S&D but at least he does not bend for cash.

Disregarding a product only because someone wrote a bad word about it is not the best course of action. Like dismissing a person because you read an article somewhere saying he's not that reliable.

Anti-this or that tests have only one goal - fear / money.

If you want to know what apps are good - you can seek opinions in security forums.

Mrk

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

In my opinion,after looking at rounds 11 & 12...
    A lot of programs suck at cleaning up.
    Nobody fared particularly well.

9. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

The Tester, i agree.

I may only add that the results from various reviews and comparative tests will eventually lead some to think that it does not matter what product you use(since they are all the same) or worse still, they all provide false security.

IMO do not find the wisdom of ranking products but a time has come where the vendors must explain or respond to why after 12 rounds of testing they still perform poorly.There has to be a threshold of some sort such that every vendor targets over 90% detection and removal rates as an example. :mad:

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This test is about malware removal right? Interesting but not that important for me at the moment, I´m more interested in detection rates, because the plan is to keep malware of my system in the first place. :ninja:

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: IMO, this would bring us back to a core question; are these AS scanners(both on demand and real time) really dependable at all? Variation of detection rate coupled w/ inability of removal do give us a chilling effect. Perhaps, just perhaps it is a time to look for an alternative? Let me see, HIPS or Sandbox/virtualization apps? Just wonder.o_O

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

That is why on my main PC, I run greenborder and Antivir basically for scanning email. Scan about every 2 weeks with Ewido, no cookies, nothing. I am a firm believer this is the way to go.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The people who Compiled this Test are "Sick in the Head"

Webroot Spy Sweeper in 12th Place Below Norton, Outpost plug -In and ZoneAlarm, and not 1 single mention of AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

I sometimes wonder where they come up with such Ideas o_O I've not heard of any Instances where the top 4 in this list have Halted malicious websites or prevented unwanted behavioural installations by malicious spyware/trojans etc... in fact Spyware Doctor allows this stuff to install undetected, and only alerts you of a for instance when you run a scan

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

His tests do have validity. He also refers to AVG antispyware, as still Ewido.

15. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I agree with you.

This is what i'm doing on my PC:
    Zyxel Router P662
    ZA PRO
    BD 10 AV
    CyberHawk (instead of GreenBorder, not the same but CH run fine along BD with his proactive defence)

SpySweeper only for on demand scanning (It find nothing else -cookies- than ZA do).

And when BD 10 will have B-HAVE2 very powerfull CH will be shut-down.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.