new Anti Keylogger

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by TECHWG, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Here's a question. What's the difference between the AKE and the ATE that they sell on the same site. ATE claims it detects Keyloggers as well. I assume it is the same level of detection as AKE? and if not, why not? If it claims if detects them, then surely it must use the same technology as AKE?
    Take a look. http://remove-trojan.com/index_ate.php

And my point? If ATE detects keyloggers as well as AKE then it makes more sense to purchase ATE than AKE.

muf

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

SafePC still works though . It can be defeated . I am sure the product you speak of can be too . And I have never had a keylogger problem either . Hard for them to get in in the first place with good security measures . I go back to what I wrote earlier . I bet it is a good product . I also know I would never pay that much for what it does based on other security measures that will , and have , kept them out .:cool:

3. hgwells

hgwells Guest

Well, to be honest I don't feel the program is really needed. Like others have said how often do you really need an anti-keylogger? I have Spycop (and many other AKs) also and I've never found even one keylogger with it (them) outside of my own keylogger tests I've done. If there are those who want to use AK Elite because they feel the need for such a program then that's their choice. There are just so many other ways that are just as good or better to block and detect keyloggers that I just feel a program like this is not anything that special.

If you know anything about the plentyful HIPS and other anti-malware programs that abound on forums like this one, you'll realize that a program like AK Elite just has very little to offer compared to them in many cases. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago such a program would have had greater value, but I feel that programs like AK Elite's time have passed. HIPS is now the big kid on the block and they are getting so good it's almost scary.

I'm not trying to stop or hamper technological advances in anyway. But I do try to stay on the cutting edge of security software and this program isn't anything that I find that useful or what I would call cutting edge. I can find and stop hooks and kernel based keyloggers so many ways, such a program is nearly useless to me.

But to be fair I did try out AK Elite and it did appear to prevent the install of the Elite keylogger as TECHWG originally posted. But I did notice that the AK Elite does not stop Elite keylogger from logging all your keystrokes, if you install EK first. But AK Elite won't let you open Elite keylogger while it's installed. After I removed AK Elite from my computer and opened Elite keylogger, I noticed it listed all my keystrokes I made when AK Elite was installed.

Also got many errors when I installed AK Elite and it seems it still has some bugs and incompatibilities with other software to be worked out in the program. For example when I tried to open a simple screen capture program I have, my computer would often freeze and I would have to shut down the screen capture program through Windows task manager because it was the only thing I could do to stop it. I also got several error messages like "Init keyboard hook monitor failed, you should install this software again." and "Sysloader Error- Create service failed, error code:5" but I was unable to determine why I would get these error popups everytime I tried to start AK Elite.

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

well if there are bugs email the guy and just give him a quick description of them. I too like HIPS but i always like to have an antikeylogger (not signature based) and the best i have seen sofar is PrivacyKeyboard, But AKE seems like its catching up with it. and as for ATE ? i have no idea email him. i dont use anti trojan since i have execution protection and a good firewall (PG and Outpost)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    In my opinion, the price of a software if any should be evaluated like this (by a potential buyer):

commonality of the threat * danger

Keyloggers are very dangerous but not very highly spread. Getting infected with one requires some talent on behalf of the victim. It is far more likely to get infected with regular spyware / trojans / virii etc than keyloggers. More likely, an existing infection will donwload more and more playload to eventually allow an installation of a keylogger, so it would be wiser to invest the money in a very good anti-spyware and anti-trojan for the same amount of money and prevent the droppers of the keylogger. And then, add to that a layer of free anti-keyloggers.

Price of 50 dollars - you can buy Ewido and SpySweeper / Spyware Doctor (freebies can do a fair job as well & not that I personally would or would not buy any of the above). Add to that AntiHook, SnoopFree, BLB, RTR and you should be very fairly defended.

Not to mention the fact that it also take some talent to get infected in the first place, at all. Mikkey said how many keyloggers you had on your system? I'll ask how many virii / spyware you had on your system? Maybe, for some people this price is justified.

Paying such a high price for a dedicated killer of 1% malware is a bit too much, I think.

But everyone's money is their choice.

Mrk

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I agree, people are more likely to, and do, get hit with a lot more adware etc than they will a KL.

A lot of vehicles these days have air bags, but how often do they get used, if ever. But come the day it should ever be needed, we would be thankful it was there and worked properly. Most of us could take our chances and not have one fitted if it was an option, and save quite a bit of money, but who knows when something might happen, that wasn't even our fault.

So most of us on here anyway, probably could live without an AK, but malware is getting more and more devious, and will continue to i think. So if a really good free solution isn't available, then the high price of an effective App might just be the peace of mind insurance some could do with.

StevieO

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I hope you don't compare life with computers. Computers are only dumb machines and the OS can be installed over and over, life can't.
    Mrk

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Whether or not a dedicated KL detector is worth buying is going to be a very individual choice. Some will want one (some may need one if they have someone repeatedlly trying to infect them), others will deem it unnecessary. For those that do, $50 for a one shot payment with future updates for free isn't bad.. that's the same price as Trojan Hunter. Keyloggers are becoming more popular, so although I personally probably won't get a dedicated anti-KL, I don't necessarily think it's a bad choice to get one.

I agree.. like I say, it's a personal choice. No need to take a thread OT and ruin it for everyone else if your opinion differs, although technical facts/findings on the subject at hand are another thing. The price is certainly enough that people will take a good look at whether they want/need it or not before buying it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  9. StevieO

StevieO Guest

It wasn't a comparison, more of an analogy. So ok then, let's just say that for those that ( Know ) they'll never get invaded with a KL they can live without something like this, for others it could be a very useful App to have.

StevieO

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Well said, Notok.

I appreciate and applaud TECHWG for bringing it up and mentioning it. I'm also kind of surprised and puzzled a bit that a product like this would be met with as much skepticism as this thread would seem to indicate. If it's rogueware or has major problems, that's one thing...but to basically write it off as not worthy of consideration is quite another. As you said, the price and risk of infection to the user will be the determining factors.....

11. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

you should try removing blazing tools keylogger boy is that a pain to remove

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would like to give it a whirl but it says file not found. Anyone else :doubt:

remove-trojan.com/download/akeesetup.exe

13. StevieO

StevieO Guest

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yep....it is now working.

15. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

see its all about testing and drawing concusions about its efficiancy . . then its upto the user wether they want to pay for it. If nobody reviews it if its awesome nobody knows about it. I dont know why some people just go li8ke that on a forum telling us that its not worth using. i agree with the other guy. But all i ask is if you find any problems or anything email the developer. Hes been very responsive to me over the months (unless hes on holiday or family business and such) but as far as i see from the rate of changes and updates , hes working very much on this project. So help the guy to help us by us making his software even better. i tested it with several keyloggers in a VMWARE and it passed each one. But idid not do different tests liek if a keylogger was already there etc.Also if you guys know of the worst keylogger ever for being able to detect (other than ELITE KEYLOGGER) then please let me know so i can use it in future tests on ak softwares.

Thanks alot WG:thumb:

16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Any feed back on that AKE yet ?
    Whats your opinion

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I tend to agree with the other posters that you can much easier bring on board your computer a very dependable rootkit/hook detector which will easily discover all keyloggers. I've tested 100% FREE! safety detectors on such threats as hacker defender, vanquish, FU, and the notoriously teensie (World's Smallest Functional KeyLogger 3.5k Small)
    Reference

I have even used binders, upx, and other packers like Morphine and such to stealth as much as possible and the FREEWARE! finders excel at discovering these files.

So the basic underlying question lends itself again to why spend good hard earned money on something that is limited to only one area as compared to the FREE! which is not.

It's admirable to defend and even endorse an effective anti-keylogger program but money is much better applied when considering overall safety to early prevention such as investing in HIPS and such IMHO.

18. No User Name

No User Name Registered Member

If my economic background allowed, I would purchase products like this. But it would be nice if there were a home user edition that was free and a corporate edition that was for pay, just like antihook and processguard. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.