new adware/spyware threat?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by boyd919, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyd919

boyd919 Guest

I just received a phone call from a company that was selling their "search engine" service. It involves the user (victim) downloading a "browser upgrade" that causes a small window containing the advertisers actual website to appear above the search bar when certain key phrases are searched for. (I was quoted about $500 per key phrase per year). The salesperson got very defensive when I used the term "adware" and claimed that they are a Verisign approved company. (What that has to do with anything, I'm not sure). They claim to be propagating their software through download.com as well as "in house software titles". There did not appear to be any such titles available for download, nor were the specific names of the software titles listed. I don't see how this "upgrade" could be considered anything but adware, if not spyware since they offer their clients the ability to "check ip addresses and statistics on visitors we deliver". There are at least two different domains offering the service: winspeedtech.com and windowpositions.com. The "browser upgrade" is available for download on the site.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Sounds like a scam, they are trying to cheat you of your money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.