new active@ disk image version today

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zfactor, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just updated to version 5.1.1 changelog:

Version Date Changes
    5.1.1 08/11/2011 - New: Added image verification after creating an image
    - New: Added shutdown option after creating an image
    - New: E-mail notifications
    - New: Starter Edition
    - Fixed: If incremental and differential images located in the same folder selecting differential image to restore will show the list of incremental images to select from

http://www.disk-image.net/

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

updated last night, updated without asking for any key or serial etc.

so for those that were wondering (in another thread) if Active@ asks for a key during minor updates, it never for me :thumb:

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I tried to update to V5.1.1 from the software, which took me to the web site, where I clicked download and downloaded the .exe file. I proceeded to do the install, but at the end got an error that the install screwed up. I then realized that my current copy could not be initialized. I figured at this point that I better do a clean install, so tried to uninstall the current copy, but it wouldn't uninstall. To make a long story short, I finally got it uninstalled, and downloaded the .exe again and successfully installed V5.1.1.
    I take it that updates should be a clean install as a matter of procedure, rather than over the top? o_O

4. treehouse786

unlucky twl845, i just did an over the top install and it worked fine! :(

edit- this might be a really stupid question but you didn't try updating during a backup job did you? sorry if it sounds like i am taking the michael but you never know! lol

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

LOL :D I'm not a techie, but not a noobie either. As I reflect on the first attempt to install, I don't think I saw a window or two that was in the second good install, like getting me to click the radio button to accept the conditions, so I guess the first attempt was screwed up, but during the first install it managed to delete most of the original version before it quit. Oh well, I'm good now. :)

6. treehouse786

if there is one thing i have learnt in life its 'never rule anything out!' hence the stupid question! my apologies sir :D

glad your back up and running (pun intended) :thumb:

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No need to apologize. I agree with you. Folks are capable of anything, so it's better to ask. :)

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

they state on the web site to uninstall first then reboot then install the new one fyi.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

This will teach me to read the directions. :D

10. 660207

660207 Registered Member

Hi,

what makes Active@ Disk Image better than other imaging tools like ShadowProtect Desktop, Acronis TI etc.
    I can't find newer reviews or user Experience reports. Maybe A@DI is too unknown? Would be nice to get some more praxis-information :)

11. treehouse786

for me, its my favourite because it has no startup entries (i'm big on this), is very reliable, very easy to use, and has hands down the best ready made BOOT CD in the business. but ofcourse, thats just my opinion.

12. 660207

660207 Registered Member

Yes, I noticed too that there are no processes running in the background. That's good. What about restoring images? Rather fast or slow? Any problems restoring an image in the past?

13. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

So there are no background processes running in the live version (installed on Windows)? I assumed you meant booted from the CD. That's nice...

14. 660207

660207 Registered Member

Yeah, it's no bloodware like all the other ones and that makes it sympathetic.

15. treehouse786

nope, there are no background processes whatsoever in the installed windows version :thumb:

16. treehouse786

average backup/restore speed, but solid. has not let me down once yet which is all i ask really of a backup program.

i use SSD's so my backup/restore of drive C takes no time at all (1-2 mins). but any program would take around the same time when using SATA 6 Gbps SSD's as target and supply drive.

its simple, reliable, has a brilliant BOOT CD, what more can i ask for/want? nothing :thumb:

17. 660207

660207 Registered Member

Is there a special forum for exchange about the program?
    Tutorials or something? I know the video from the lsoft-webside
    and the pdf ...

18. napoleon1815

Not sure if you are just using the Active@ Image CD or if you paid more for their Active@ Boot Disk...both look really good as I only do offline images. Not sure I need all the extras in the full blown Boot Disk. Does the Disk Image boot CD have command prompt functionality?

19. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I definitely agree with this statement, as I have had the same experience with Active@ Disk Image. Cheers

20. treehouse786

not sure about forum but pretty much all you need can be found at http://www.disk-image.net/

21. treehouse786

i have both the full blown version of the boot cd and the one you get for free with disk image. backup wise they are both the same, its only if you want to get freaky does the full blown version shine.

about the command prompt, not sure if you mean within the boot cd desktop or no GUI at all, there is a command prompt from within the desktop (desktop of the WinPE disk), see pic here

22. napoleon1815

Thanks I appreciate all the info. Yes, I meant within the boot CD, which your screenshot shows it does. One question...if you buy the Live Boot CD (the full blown one), and a new version of Disk Image comes out, how long does it take to make it to the Live Boot CD?

23. treehouse786

no problem matey :thumb:

good question, all programs are updated (Active@ disk image, Active@ file recovery etc) when a new version of the live cd comes out and the live cd is updated approximately 3 or 4 times a year. discovery of major bugs means that they will release an out of schedule update

this link is informative

24. napoleon1815

Nice...this is perfect, thanks.

25. 660207

660207 Registered Member

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.