new 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ejames82, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

in all fairness, i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well. if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites.

i just bought a brand new western digital WD5000AAKB caviar blue 500gb IDE/PATA hard drive from tiger direct. i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to 160gb hard drives with easeus disk copy, so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this 500gb. i was able to clone the 160gb HDD's right out of the package without any preparation. i thought i would be able to do this with this 500gb as well, however, the results i get are strange. after making the master/slave connection and powering up, the 500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen, or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives. i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this 500gb. the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before, cloning 40gb to 80gb. i have had the jumpers on the 500gb set at both cable select and slave. the HDD is brand new, so i could get my $ back, but i think i am making a mistake of some kind. i am very much a newbie at this, and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this "hobby". just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer's data, in case. any expert help would be most appreciated.

2. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.