Never seen this before?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by pcidiot, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcidiot

pcidiot Registered Member

I was in another forum,and i viewed a topic that another member was claiming that everytime he clicked a specific members name his av would detect a trojan.I did some research and found that you guys are experts in this field,and i wanted to know how this can be possible?I know that in that forum that its been a few days and there hasnt been any awnsers on how this is possible.Im no expert,but i thought this was very rare to view this.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That type of thing can be caused by many different factors. Not knowing the specific case, forum or software involved, all I can say is that there are many possibilities...

If you mean that clicking on a certain person's member ID in a forum posting brings up such an alert, then it could be because that forum allows members to put potentially exploitable things in their profiles. Active IMG tagged links could do it. Some forums also allow full HTML based signatures or profile fields, and those can be exploited under some conditions, too.

Of course, it could be a false alarm crafted by the person just to scare people. It's hard to say.

3. pcidiot

pcidiot Registered Member

Thanks for your reply watermark.Thats interesting info.From what i gather is the guy is even providing pasted info on the detections of the trojan,and his av norton corporate only detects them when he clicks on those specific membername/log/viewtopic/addreply.And he mentioned that his av doesnt detect them anywere else,and they are the same trojan.I have never seen that before myself and i was just amazed to see this.Thanks again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.