NETZERO.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by sosaiso, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

OMFG. Why does netzero still remain?!?!?!?! How do I get rid of this annoying ISP?!

Sorry for the rage, but I know I uninstalled it, and here it is, remaining and keeps changing my homepage/search default/$%^%$&%$^&%^&.

Any help appreciated. Though, I don't think this is "spyware" but it should be.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

It does seem it's just an ISP, though annoying.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=netzero

It's available in Start/Programs, and see if there is an UNINSTALL option in there. Try again, if so.

You can also try in the MSCONFIG box under 'Startup' apps, UNcheck it if listed in there.

Start|Run| type 'msconfig' | hit enter

Click on Startup TAB and check there. If listed, UNcheck, click Apply, OK, reboot.

Upon reboot you probably will get a warning window, I forget exactly what it says, just say OK, whatever, and see if it still runs.

If there is still an option to uninstall it, I would disconnect from the net, close ALL programs, including browsers, anything running, before trying the uninstall.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I understand your rant. You must have gone thru their "outstanding" customer service to cancel.:'(

4. sosaiso

Thank you Tazzie, but I already completely removed the "program". However, I keep getting numerous reports by MSAS, that it has blocked my search default from being changed from Google to Netzeroblahlbhalblah. But I will look into seeing if those services are still there.

And Peter, OMG. YES! But, we offer blahblahlblah. They just wouldn't stop talking! I couldn't wait to be free of their unreliability. Ahhh. DSL.

But does anyone know what still remains from Netzero? I seriously think they installed something without my consent. ><

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Just thought it worth a try to see if it was still in a folder as removal via Add/Remove may not have worked right and thought *maybe* worth a shot if it still had an uninstall option itself.

Please take the following under advisement as any changes in Registry can be harmful:

You can always search the Registry and remove any references to NetZero, *but* you'd want to be confident that you did remove the right stuff and it was not linked to something else which it may have hooked into.

Start | Run | type: 'regedit' [without quotes] hit enter

Edit TAB | Find... or hit simply hit Ctrl F | type in NetZero and see what it comes up with, any folders/keys right click/delete/ok | Reboot

BUT.... make sure you do backup first.... of course if not confident, do not do anything in Registry.

Or better yet, get a Registry Cleaner, CrapCleaner is a good free one I have used without any side effects, and it may find something like 'useless empty key' or something belonging to NetZero....and only select that item/s to delete with it.

It will back up your Registry first though so you are pretty safe there, *still* up to you.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

see pic of CC after I did an analyse of the Registry... nothing is removed until you say so, so at least you can do an analyse of it, see what's in there.

DL CC, install.
    click on 'Issues' on left | Click on Scan for Issues button down bottom left under the empty window pane.

After following my instructions in pic, and clicking the Fix Selected Issues, you will automatically be given the chance to do a Registry backup, say YES or you can still Cancel, then simply name/save to default place and then OK.

hth, TAS

Attached Files:

6. sosaiso

Okay, I am afraid to go into my registry, but I think that was the end of it. I just combed my startup and everything. so far so clean. I deleted a few program file files taht still remained. [WHY DONT' THESE UNINSTALLERS EVER ACTUALLY DO WHAT THEY'RE MADE FOR??!?!?!?] So far so good. Thanks for all the help guys.

7. sosaiso

Actually, the folder I deleted was NZSearch.

SPYWARE I TELL YOU! SPYWARE! And people pay $10 a month for it! If I wrote antispyware programs, I would add netzero and all its components to my database and put in on HIGH. ><

Sorry for the endless ranting. But all these ISPs. They're such spyware!

8. edddd

edddd Guest

ur lucky.. give aol a run for ur money.. you will die, after that. ;)

9. sosaiso

I did. When I called up to cancel, they read me the logs of everything I was doing during their trial. [heavy saracasm]That just made me want to continue using them[/sarcasm] :T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.