Networked Storage Devices

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mbickley, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbickley

mbickley Registered Member

I have a Seagate Mirra NAS attached to my network. These devices are not mapped but accessed through an IP address. All the sales folk (and the Help documents) say I can create a backup location on my NAS but the process always requires a mapped local or networked drive. How can I point the backup location to my NAS?

2. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi mbickley,

I have a Netgear SC-101 Storage Central Device with a Seagate 320 GB Hard Drive partitioned inside of it. Netgear has a Service inside of Services which maps Network Drives to the operating system which is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

I can make a Backup to the Network Drive. However, the problem exists, not in backing up to a NAS Drive, but in restoring the image to the computer, if you don't have access to the NAS Drive when you can't boot the computer up and need to use the Bootable Rescue CD of Acronis.

You can't access the NAS Drive when bootable from DOS.

3. mbickley

Interesting dilemma... I think as the NAS is access via an IP on my network, restoring the image should NOT be a huge issue.

Seagate assure me that I cannot map a drive letter to the NAS - which is still the main problem, unless there is a feature within TI 10.0 that will allow me to point it to the IP.

thanks
    Mike

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Mike,

From the Seagate documentation on their Web site, the Mirra Personal Server is meant to be used with their backup software to back up all PCs that have such software loaded. There's also web access to the Personal Server through one of their web servers. They specifically differentiate the Personal Server from a traditional NAS device. As such, I don't believe that one can set up traditional shares on the device to which PCs can map drive letters. Maybe you can check the web for anyone who has hacked the firmware; the box uses a Linux OS.

Doug

5. mbickley

Doug - you are right, it is a great unit for what I need, easy web-based access to my data, but is probably NOT easily used for image creation.

Thanks
    Mike

6. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Have you tried specifying the path for the backup location as \\NAS_IP_ADDRES\ ?

Please also be aware that there is an issue with backup locations created on a networked shared folders. The issue is that the quotas for Backup Location created on a networked shared folders do not applies. Check this thread TI-10 - Can't backup successfully across a network (and post #33 by Acronis Support).

7. mbickley

\\192.168.10.7\filename returns the error that I cannot create image files under MY COMPUTER - which suggests is it simply not recognising the IP (which is pingable).

I may be out of luck on this one.

Thanks
    Mike

8. Slaycock

Slaycock Registered Member

Hi

You might find the following works for mapping your drive.

From Windows XP click on start and then click on run. Enter the IP address of your NAS as below and press return.

\\IP address

After a short while XP should open a window with the drives/folders available at the IP address. Right clicking on the drives/folders allows the option of mapping as a network drive.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.