Network wide errors on latest update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jst3751, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

For whatever reason when I checked "clear cache" and update from the server console it would not clear the cache. So I manually cleared the mirror directory on the server, I then had to reboot the server because when I tried update again it wouldn't update. Once I rebooted and again went to server console, clicked update and it downloaded properly. Clients appear to be updating now, but I'm still waiting to see if all of them will automatically update. I can confirm forcing an update will work but I want to see if they all automatically update.

Update: clients are updating automatically now without pushing or manually updating.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. piffer

piffer Registered Member

Same here. Only a few of my clients would take the 4814 with a clear cache, but now it seems that most of my clients are picking up the 4815 without problems.

I assume 4813 was the first "bad" update, then 4814 was the "fix" and then they really fixed it with 4815. I wonder which new features that were going to be deployed with 4813/4814, were pulled out to create 4815, unless they actually fixed the bugs related to the update... seems too rapid.

-P

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This was the problem.

5. mop_se

mop_se Registered Member

All clients that are online have got 4815 (exept one or two but that is probably a local problem).

6. nemoict

nemoict Registered Member

I've cleared the update-cache on the server (at the server options/ updates). And even rebooted the server.
    The server downloaded 4823.
    But clients stay stuck on 4812 (error: Virus signature could not be updated).

Anybody an idea what (and how to) to do?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please upload update.ver from the mirror folder to an ftp server and PM me the link to it? In the mean time, you can back up the mirror folder and recreate it from scratch.

8. nemoict

Thanx, you've pushed us in the right direction.
    We re-enabled the mirror and now the clients are updating.
    (we were not aware that the mirror was mandatory)

9. Marcos

Please send me update.ver from the mirror folder from which the clients failed to update. It is very important for us as it shouldn't have contained information about the compatibility module which most likely prevented the clients from updating from the mirror due to new modules in the mirror folder.

10. nemoict

At the moment the PM-system does not work:
    The private messaging system is currently unavailable.

When it does work again I'll send you the file.
    You can also send us an email and we'll email you the files.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. Marcos

I'll drop you a PM which will enable you to use the messaging system.

12. Robitaille20

Robitaille20 Registered Member

Ok..no matter what I do I cannot get the clients to update. I've cleared the cache on my computer and then done a manual update. My definition version will NOT get updated from 4815!

On the server side of reset the mirror and the server shows that it has version 4824 - yet NONE of my clients are getting it, even on my personal machine where I've been doing everything I can think of to get the update to work. What the hell am I supposed to do at this point? Answers would be GREAT.

13. Marcos

Do you mean that renaming the mirror folder and recreating it from scratch doesn't make any difference? This has helped several people recently having problems with the mirror due to new modules.

14. Robitaille20

that's exactly what I mean- although I didn't rename the folder. I moved all the files in the mirror folder to a backup folder so that it was empty. all the files have been downloaded fresh from the server and things still aren't updating.

15. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

Steps I took:

-Disabled Mirroring and HTTP update server on my RA server., (pretty much all local-based updating).

-Noted where I am saving my update mirror / definitions, (listed on the same page). If you didn't do it manually, I believe the default is: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\eset\eset remote administrator\server, but in my case I put it in E:\Program Files\ESET\Definition.Mirror.

-Deleted everything in my definition mirror, (except my config-xml folder)

-Enabled Mirroring and HTTP update server on my RA server.

-Clicked update now, (lil popup "Event fired on server" or something like this).

-Went and viewed the Log under the "logging" tab.

-Noticed "Update started" at the end of the log.

-Waited patiently for 7 minutes.

-Noticed "Update finished" took 7 minutes and blah blah seconds.

-Good to go now. Clients patching just fine.

Yeah I know its pretty annoying for me to have typed all these steps in this fashion. Oh well maybe it'll help someone.

16. Robitaille20

^^^^^^^^^^
    Been there done that. Like I said- the server console shows the updated virus definition files, yet the clients aren't getting them, and when I do a manual update the client says that it's up to date and doesn't get the new definitions.

*** Update *** did it all yet again and NOW it's working.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  17. mlanders

mlanders Registered Member

Thanks for outlining the steps wm408!

I am running remote administrator console 3.0 with clients at 3x and 4x.

Have followed these steps 3 times and clients are not updating:

-Disabled Mirroring and HTTP update server on my RA server.
    -Deleted everything in my definition mirror.
    -Enabled Mirroring and HTTP update server on my RA server.
    -Clicked update now, (lil popup "Event fired on server"
    -Went and viewed the Log under the "logging" tab.
    -Checked upd.ver file and updates at 4832

Fired new task on clients to update. Task shows successful.
    Clients are still stuck at 4815.

Went to a client machine, cleared cache and clicked update.
    Appeared to install several updates.
    Still shows 4815.

What else can I try?

18. naj13

naj13 Registered Member

Hi mlanders,

I had the same problem, but finally came up with a solution.

First thing to do is clearing the update cache of the mirror. Now, that sound straight forward, but it wasn't for me. I followed the instructions on http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2220. However my RA is V2 and i could not find the folder "Charon" (probably it's used in V3) and the folder "Mirror" (the kb solution assumes that's where the mirror files are stored). At first i did not realise this, so i only cleared the folder "Updfiles" and not "C:\NOD32MIRROR" (where the mirror files are stored in my case). Well, that didn't help. I guess you need to clear both folders. (I can't tell from the steps you describe, if you cleared both folders)
    So, after realizing my mistake, I cleared both folders and clicked the Update Now button in ERA. After that I could update my clients by clearing the update cache and initiating an update on my clients.

Now, I was not really happy with this solutions because I had to go to all the client and do the cache clearing and updating manually. However, I noticed that my laptop (which is updating via the internet and not via the mirror) was updating just fine. So I thought of the following workaround.

1. Using the configuration editor, create a configuration to update via the internet. You need to set three items: Update server (Choose automatically), Username and Password. Save this configuration.
    2. Using ERA create a new configuration task, select the configuration created at point 1 and send it to the clients.
    3. Wait until all clients have received the configuration task.
    4. Using ERA create a new update now task and send it to the clients.
    5. Wait until all clients have updated.
    6. Using the configuration editor, create a configuration to update via the mirror. You need the set the Update server to the mirror and (very important) clear the Username and the Password.
    7. Using ERA create a new configuration task, select the configuration created at point 6 and send it to the clients.
    8. (Optional ;) ) Wait until all clients have received the configuration task.

Well, this did the trick for me, hopefully it will for you too.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.