Network Shares -tweak

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Darth AkSarBen, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

This is for Windows XP Home, Pro, Server 2003 operating systems. It may also apply to others, but I know it has no issues with these Operating Systems and vastly improves performance on networked computers.

It is a simply registry edit. For some reason Windows installs their OS with a setting that when you browse to a shared drive/ folder on your network that it would, automatically, by default search for "tasks". The larger the folder the longer it took to actually 'read' that folder. It would literally search through all the folders and sub folders for any tasks to be run before it would open up the folder. It also seemed like a nasty trait to start something you don't want started in this way as well. I found this out a few years ago, and when we upgraded to XP on our computers at work, it was a real problem. Irritating at the least!:thumbd:

What does this have to do with NOD32? I've read on here about network administrator, and others, that have issues with NOD32 in it's opening of network folders/files. Perhaps it's more a Microsoft "quirk-goof" than one from ESET.

In the registry it looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280

-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}]
    @="Printers"

There are 2 keys in the last part of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

One is the key for searching for remote printers, which I leave alone, and it works as it should, and takes very little time.
    The other that I delete is the key (left side of the regedit window) for the one that contains the info on searching for scheduled tasks. When you are done you should only have one key and that is the search for network printers.

Once you delete the registry key simply close (upper X) the registry and you're done.
    Save a back up of the registry if you want, as you can always reinstall that back in again if you want or need it or other.

Just follow the links in the registry to that spot. You will see the 2 keys on the left. The remote tasks will be in the bottom one. I don't have any computer aorund, that has "that" deleted key on it anymore, else I could tell you what the name actually is.

PS if you do a windows repair off CD from an original CD, it will always put this key back in there in the repair, so you will need to remove it once again after a new install or after using the CD to let Windows try to repair itself.

As always, use CAUTION when you do anything in the registry. If not sure, get some extra help.

Attached Files:

2. lilliz

lilliz Registered Member

Well I don't know if nod32 is to blame or not, however it's less likeley that microsoft will adjust their software for ESET than the other way around, My honest opinion is that if other software vendors know this and compensates for it why should'nt ESET ?

Regards LilliZ

3. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

Well, LilliZ, AV vendors can't compensate for it. Not ESET, nor Symantec, nor Kaspersky, or any others. I posted this for the information that you might "think" (notice that word) that something with your AV is not working properly in some scans if you have networks, when it is inherit exclusively to Microsoft.

When Window XP came out it was this way with the networks share folder's "remote computers" search. Many found a registry tweak was all that was needed. However, Microsoft never changed it form SP1 to SP2 and I'm not sure if it was even changed in SP3. It is not a fault, other than the huge amount of hang time you have to wait waiting for Windows to search through every file/folder in that shared drive to see if there are any scheduled tasks to perform. Who would want a scheduled task to run that someone else had in their computer's folder anyway? Made no sense.

ESET can't compensate, and all a "networked" user can try is to delete that particular key to speed up scans a bit.. IF you scan network shared drives and folders.

Windows XP originally came out also with a "My Private Folder" that would let you put documents or other files in it and they would be encrypted. In fact the whole folder was passworded. They QUICKLY removed that as they were getting calls on how to recover the password for that folder, which, they could not. It is still available as a downloaded 'option'. But be forewarned. It is not supported by Microsoft, they won't help you in any manner if you forget your password.

Meanwhile, back on the subject, the network share "tweak" is good for anyone that has to look and get files from one folder to another on the network, regardless of what (if any) Anti Virus software you may be using. Just don't blame ESET if the remote scan is seemingly very slow, because one key it still hanging around in the registry.

I suppose they could write a vbs script that would delete the key upon the installation setup of the original program. That would sure help them out from trying to trouble shoot why network scanning is so slow, when it has nothing to do with the 3rd party software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.