Network Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zuzu10, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Hi All,

Got a query for all those experts out there. Got a problem with my network. I have Windows 2000, laptop with XP Pro, Server 2000 and I have set the PC (W2K) as the gateway. I have had it up and running recently but for some reason it has went down. The laptop and server can talk to one and other and can also access the Internet via the Gateway. The PC can ping both the server and laptop and receive reply. Same goes for server and laptop.

Just changed the workgroup and the PC is not accessible!!!!

Its really getting to me now!!

Help appreciated guys...

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi zuzu10,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

I am moving your thread to the general software and services forum where it will get the proper attention ;) ...

3. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Also guys,

Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Any thoughts?? This is wireless that I am trying to access. Still having problems though I can gain access to internet!!! This is on Laptop XP Pro.

4. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Cheers!

5. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

When you change the workgroup the computer thinks it's part of a different network so make sure they all have the same workgroup name. If the Internet is still being served obviously they are still transferring data packets between one another. I suggest you run the network setup wizard again. That way you can browse the shared files stored on all computers.

6. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Yeah I have already changed the workgroup and restarted the gateway and then kicked up the others.

result - same thing happening, just cant pick up the PC!!??

7. erikguy

Kicked up? You can manually set gateway, IP and netmask settings however, you will not get the benefit of sharing files, just transferring data packets. Did you run the whole wizard again on all computers? Another thing comes to mind... did you set any restrictions on network resources with security programs such as Windows Worms Doors Cleaner or Safe XP or anything else you can think of?

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Try going to a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /flushdns"

9. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Hey guys!

First of all, I never ran the setup wizard as of yet and decided not to sit any permissions, just shared access to all folders etc as it is only myself who uses network in the house.

The wireless seems to be a different ball game, can never seem to access the network when up and running. I have set my firewall to allow specific IP ranges but still having problem about not accessible!!!!

One word - HELP!?

10. erikguy

Did you try this already? It'll clear the DNS cache as Notok suggested among other things. Right click the little computers icon in the system tray. I understand that you do not wish to set restrictions as of yet, I'm just wondering... did you already? By accident maybe? Using those programs I mentioned in an earlier post? It could be that you set a restriction that you didn't fully understand perhaps? I highly suggest you run the Network Setup Wizard on the comps it'll set the Shared Docs folder as network shares by default. Then you can map other network folders afterwards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  11. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Mate,

think you have a good point there. Was checking it out this morning as I have put it on the back burner as I was debating going for a new PC.

I am running win 2000 on the PC which is the gateway and I do not have the option to Repair as I believe you are running XP?

I flushed the dns but still no joy.

Any ideas?

12. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Have you got any security on the connection? WEP? WPA-PSK? They ring any bells?

Jimbob

13. erikguy

A few things to try....
    1) Are you sure the Windows firewall isn't running? It tends to be stupid even about networked computers. Also, I do hope you're using something else as your defense.

2) If you do have another firewall running and it is allowing certain ranges, are you allowing these?
    10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255
    192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255
    240.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
    As these ranges are specifically set aside by IANA for private use in people's networks.

3) Did you try repairing the connection on the laptop (running XP right?)? Because from your posts it seems like this is the only one having a problem.

4) Do you have the Computer Browser service running? I believe (not 100% sure) this is the service that will allow you to view the shared folders between the comps. Go to "Run" command, type in "services.msc". A window will pop up. Scroll down to where it says "Computer Browser", double click the entry. Another window will pop up set the drop-down menu to "Automatic" and reboot.

5) If all else fails I would recommend you reinstall the OS before dishing out the money for a new PC. If you would like XP cheap, why not get an OEM version? There's no support for it (but who needs M$ when you got Wilders right? :) ) but it's just as good. Fry's Electronics retailers is the only store that I'm aware of that sells these. If there's not one near you you could try the site www.outpost.com or maybe see if you can find one elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  14. zuzu10

zuzu10 Registered Member

Mate thanks very much for that info!

All things are up and running! I started again! Followed everyones info and now I am laughing again!!

Most appreciated and all the best everyone for the New Year!

Zu :D

15. erikguy

You're welcome man!! Glad to hear things worked out! Also good for me to know that I'm not useless here at the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.