Network Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John M. Dlugosz, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John M. Dlugosz

John M. Dlugosz Registered Member

My wife asked me to "fix" her computer, which means deleting a bunch of stuff since the system disk was full. So I want to back it up first.

I started TI 8.0.0.937 from a boot CD.

When it wanted a name for the image file to save, the "Computers Near Me" tree was empty. But, upon typing "\\CASSINI\" in the blank it popped up a username/password prompt. So, network browsing doesn't work, but that's minor. Now, it showed the names of all the published shares on Cassini, so I thought I was back in business.

More seriously, I could not give it any file name that it would accept! It would tell me that the file name was bad (I don't remember the exact text, but it was kind of vague anyway). Even with a simple share name and simple file name (not long, no non-letters) it would not work. I might as well not have the network!

The network settings, via DHCP, seemed to be in order. And it did indeed see the other computer and tell me the names of the published shares, so the problem isn't at that low of a level.

--John

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John M. Dlugosz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that permissions for the shared folder you are trying to save the image to are set to Full Control.

If that does not help then please collect the following information:

- What exact error message have you received?

- Are you able to create an image saving it to this particular shared folder when Acronis True Image 8.0 is running from under Windows?

- Are you able to write any other files to this particular shared folder via Windows Explorer?

- Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0, create new Bootable Rescue CD, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also do the following:

- Boot the computer from Acronis True Image 8.0 (build 937) Bootable Rescue CD and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and wait for # prompt to appear.

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. choppy

choppy Registered Member

I had the same issue, being able to browse the folders but not the files. It turned out I was using an invalid Username and Password. (There is no prompt telling you the password was wrong.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.